Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

walking through london late at night

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
(please move to a more appropreate section, wasn't to sure where it should go)

Stupidly, i've taken on 2 evening courses, which means that i'm getting back to my house about 10:30-11 pm, which i'm not happy about. but what i'm more conserned about is the fact that i am a young woman walking by myself, and am like a walking target. i actually couldn't sleep much last night because i was worried so much. i'm having to go to maida vale (which is an ok area) and kings cross (not very good area). what can i do to make myself less of a target and make myself feel more safe. and does anyone have any idea where i might buy a personal alarm from?

thanks...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't bother with a personal alarm unless it's the type that is really shrieking.

Here are some:
    http://www.suzylamplugh.org/store/index.shtml

I think it's better to carry hair spray or something like that.

Don't listen to a walkman/ipod. Wear flat shoes/trainers. Hopefully there will be others on the course walking the same way.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Don't listen to a walkman/ipod. Wear flat shoes/trainers. Hopefully there will be others on the course walking the same way.

:yes: these will definitely make a difference. I used to do a course in Maida Vale and I always felt pretty safe around there, and I often go through Kings Cross at night - the good thing is it's a really busy station will lots of staff around which is always reassuring. Have a look at this article on Safety for Women as there are sections on using public transport and on foot. Hope you find it helpful :)
  • Options
    I bought my mate a stun gun to keep her safe on her own. In America women are allowed to use them, but in this country they arnt.

I would definitely buy an alarm of some sort, &/or carry a whistle around your neck.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hold your head up and don't put your hands in your pockets. Look quite menacing. Rapists/muggers etc etc look for the most vulnerable people.
  • Options
    I think if you walk into a local POlice Station they can give you advice and possibly a free fog horn. :)
  • Options
    I know it won't be cheap, but it might be a good idea to get a taxi instead of walking? Or is there anyone who can pick you up?
  • Options
    i've actually now stopped going to the evening classes, i had many reasons and i really wasn't happy at only getting 6 hours of sleep a night. what makes me so annoyed is that i've seen loads of posters about making yourself safer, but theres no actual advice or ways of contacting the organisation. why aren't there charities or the police going inot schools and colleges and telling people more, and why are these alarms so difficult to get hold of? the only site i found that had them was the same site that pussy cat gave the link for. i may try the local police station at some point. thanks
  • Options
    Gatecrash some freshers' fayres (no, I'm not joking), they often have that kinda stuff.

Walking around London on my own doesn't bother me, as long as it's an area I know. But that's probably not a healthy attitude since the areas I know are Kings X, Camden, Archway, Holloway... I've never had too much trouble, though.
  • Options
    I have been mugged in Camden but that was probably my own fault for walking down the high street by myself pissed as a fart at 3 in the morn...dont really get trouble to be honest but obviously it helps that Im a bloke. I think, as one of the posts said above, attitude is the most important thing... look like you know what you're doing, look like you know where you're going, dont wear anything suggestive, dont look people in the eye if you can and stick to the main roads where possible, never take out valuables, phones, iPods...all pretty obvious when you think about it, but so many girls seem to forget this when I see them out on their own. If possible and you feel really uncomfortable, tell a friend where you are going and when you'll be back. Also, if you're on a bus, try and stay downstairs because it always seems like shit happens upstairs for no apparent reason.

Anyway, hope that helped,

James
  • Options
    i used to live in kings cross when i was at university and i walked around all the time wearing short skirts and things and I never had any trouble. However there was a girl in my halls who was always getting curb crawled and I never figured out why as she got targetted and i didn't but I think it was somethign to do with how i looked and how much confidence I had.

However not only is Kings Cross getting better i also think that places where there are lots of people even if they are slightly dodgy are better than "nice" residential areas where you may be the only person on the street.
  • Options
    The majority of girls working as prostitutes in Kings Cross dress fairy plainly now, in jeans etc so it is easy to be mistaken for one (I often was). But if you say you aren't they are generally just a bit embarrassed in my experience.

I wear a very small handbag UNDERNEATH my coat, it's much harder to see.

You can buy alarms in the UCL shop (you could ask Chris to show you where it is). You don't have to be a student to go there.

Buses are usually safer than walking at night. Avoid upstairs if it is empty/ fairly empty. Try to sit in the aisle seat, not the window. If someone asks you to move over just get up to let them have the window seat. If you are using a rucksack style bag put it on your front not your back to avoid pick-pockets.
  • Options
    To get to UCL shop go to Gower street walkdown a bit till you get to the main gates (which are on the lefthand side of the road), go thru the quad (the bit with the main UCL building) go straight towards the big stairs turn right and go thru the doors at the far right on the front of the building, turn right when you're inside and go down a set of stairs and the shop is there. If you can't find it, ask any old random in the quad and they'll usually show you the way I would have thought. If that sounds too complicated, ignore what I've said.

James