Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Selling tips with a broken bike

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got my bike 'fixed' recently as it had a malfuctioning rectifier which had fried the solanoid, and also the mechanic found out that the rear shock was frozen and the brakes were worn down to the metal, so had to have all that replaced. Parts & labour £360. Because I told him I wanted it fixing completely.

Anyway, he brought it back and I couldn't get it started, he popped by to hav e alook and the clutch cut out had become dislodged. I'm an idiot. Anyway, then it was turning over great sohe left.

The battery was now flat (problem I was having before, argh!!). So I charged it up briefly, as I don't have a bike charger but know you can use a car charger so long as it's for a very short amount of time. The battery now has enough charge to turn the engine over.

But it doesn't start! This is just getting ridiculous now... the MOT has expired I think, so I was wondering...

Would it just be better to put it on eBay 'sold as seen' - I want to sell this bike anyway because I haven't got my licence and so won't be able to ride it. Next year I can maybe buy another one. I only paid £400 for it.. there's a guide here: http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_bike/valuation.aspx?deriv=4150&plate=56

That says private poor £795 but who's going to pay that for a non-starting bike? For what I know, mind you, it's just a spark plug or something. I just don't have the time, money or patience anymore. The guy charges £60 for pick up and drop off (no licence mate!), and I've only got £160 left in my bank account and it's got to last me til I get my student loan thru.

I'd be happy if I got £400 for it, but I'm not sure if it's not starting (And the front left indicator bulb needs replacing :p).

What should I do? :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cover my fuel and make decent coffee and I'll see if we can get it running for you? :)
    Cover my fuel and make decent coffee and I'll see if we can get it running for you? :)

Haha, if you're bored you're welcome to try but I haven't a clue and have no tools or anything :p

Mind you, looking on google local its a fair way to go...
    It's only 60-70 miles or so! Whereabouts in Leicester are you? :)
    Junction 21a on the M1 (or thereabouts), a village called Groby.
    Bought my Primera from there. I know it :). Offer is open if you want it :).
    If you fancy a trip you're welcome to come and attempt to fix it heh. I'll cover your costs and see if I cant get you a bacon sarnie and a cup of coffee. I'm available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day :p

Bear in mind I have screwdrivers for computers and a pair of pliers but nothing for bikes...
    It's alright, I demonstrated to myself the other day that I can ride a few miles with some tools in my backpack :).

I've stuff on this afternoon, and my best mate gets back tomorrow so I'll probably spend the day with him. Fancy a stab Tuesday? :)
    Tuesday soudns good except for a dentist appointment that will take me from 1pm to 2pm. So if you want to work around that or come earlier or whatever...
    I'll get back to you tomorrow evening, squire. Am waiting for some bearings so I can finish off my friends Impreza gearbox rebuild - it's getting rather urgent now, so priority has to go to that. But definitely one day this week. Not fussed about your dentist appointment, I can carry on whilst you are away receiving pain ;).

Will send you a PM tomorrow evening or something. :)
    Righty, the bearings *should* be in tomorrow, but I don't know if we're going to be able to work on it. Tuesday currently looks pretty damned good for me, if it still suits you?
    Tuesday is great for me. And yea, woo pain!

Just don't ride off with the bike whilst I'm gone :p
    Can't do Tuesday mate. Sorry - stuff has come up. Needed to get stuff done today and just haven't had time. How you looking for Thursday/Friday?
    Good, thursday after 11am, friday free all day :)
    Meh, fiddle, and diddle. Nothing is going right this week mate - I've just got home to find a weeping fork seal on the bike. As such, I don't want to take the bike too far until I've replaced it - I can do the latter end of this week subject to my wonderful assistant WillyWonka having some spare time - but I don't know how he stands on this at the moment.

When do you head off to uni, squire?
    Erm, :chin: 7th october. Don't worry about it if it's any hassle mate :) thanks for the generous offer anyway!
    I will do my best to come and get it running for you ASAP - feel free to get it fixed locally if you prefer, as I know my timetables are rather lacking at the moment!
    I think I'm going to have to drop this, Rich. I'm sorry mate. Still not had a chance to do my bloody fork seal, but worse than that - I settled down at my friends today to do my seal, and found a bastard crack in one of my discs. I want to wait for a second-hand pair to come up on eBay, as new ones are £200 a pair...

If you can get the bike over here, then I'm sure it'll be something we could do. If I can arrange some transport over to you, then I shall do so. But at the moment, things aren't looking promising. Sorry mate :(.
    Seriously no worries :) it was a generous offer anyway. Problem is, I was an idiot and been looking at bikes. And it's all come back. So might keep it and do my test in december (joy!) and then jump on it back to uni :D

After riding through 1 winter I should be fine..
    I rode through my first last year - it was better that I imagined! :) Snow is ace :D. I'll bet I've not touched my rear brake since January... never snatch the fronts when it is wet/snowing/icy ;).