Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Those who have suffered depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
but come out the other side.

I have a question for you.
You know before you got depressed and you might have say, had an argument with someone or something has upset you. Well you know you got upset but dealt with it.
Well since having come out the other side of depression, do you find that when things get you down that you fall alot lower than you used to? Like you fall alot worse than you did before?:(

I dunno if you will get what i mean i just wondered if it was just me.

Comments

• Options
    Hmm, have never really thought about it that way before, Tweety. I know now that if I get upset, I can handle it in a much better way than before, but the actual feeling of being upset, I really couldn't pin point because my depression was most of the time, a fuzzy haze where I was just drifting through. So yes, in a way, sometimes now, I feel a little worse because life is a lot clearer and I can 'tune in' to that pain now, if you get what I mean, than before I was depressed.

Hope you're ok x
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Hope you're ok x

i'm ok, just had a shitty night. Brought back to me sometime i have wondered for a while so thought i would ask.
  • Options
    I've been told that I am much more laid back now, that I seem to take more in mystride.

I guess I've seen the lowest and very little which troubles me now compares to that.

If anything I tend to get angrier easily and i don't suffer fools so easily. I think it's because I value my time so much more now and I hate other people wasting it...?
  • Options
    I kinda get what you mean, but its not that I fall lower, its that the fall is far more noticeable because the rest of my life is that much higher.

If anything I fall less, I just notice it more, if that makes any sense. Being in a permanent depressive state meant I was always very low, whereas now I'm not that low at all really, I've just dropped from the normal.
  • Options
    I am getting there slowly, but yes things get me down more than they should.
    I feel a higher emotion towards simple situations, like falling out with friends, easy to deal with for some but me, I crawl into my bed and sob.
  • Options
    It is about 5 years since i was depressed and I know that i am not depressed now. but i do deal with things differently now to how i did before the depression for sure. I am much more highly strung in the way that little things can upset me and turn into bigger things. When I get upset about something, I get more upset than i maybe would have before. I am less spontaneous and changes in plans throw me more.
    But.. I am working on all these things and I do think some of them are changing and improving. And I'm not entirely sure if its that my reactions have changed so much or it is that I am so much more aware of my feelings and willing to let them come out.
  • Options
    I think we are just all more aware of our feelings when we recover and think about things more. Sometimes that can pull us down a bit but the important thing is to be able to pull ourselves back up again.