Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

MMR Booster?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My ex is convinced that her baby girl is gonna get autism if she gets the MMR.

What's the minimum age before getting it anyway?
    There's no evidence of a link to autism, and even the one they claim is lower than the risk of brain damage from the diseases.

Not sure what the ages are, I'm sure MoK will answer that but it's now part of the early years ( young kids) program.

..which, in fact, actually has a worse record for "linked" side effects that than one you worry about...
    well i`ll loook into it nearer the time. Might not get that one either then if thats the case.
    I am all for Vaccinations, i just don't see why, if you want each one seperate you can not have them done seperately for your children. Why must it by MMR all in one or nothing at all, surely if they can afford £20 Million of tax payers money earmakred to the NHS can be thrown away on art work, decorations and other non-medical, non-essential wastes, they can afford to do individual vaccinations.

I was vaccinated individually as a child, why can't i have the option to choose the same for my child someday?
    well you can, but you have to pay for it yourself. You also have the option to not vaccinate and it doesnt mean your children will all die horrible deaths.
    True, i went to school with several people who had parents against Vaccination so none of them ever had any.
    While there are a few who are not vaccinated they will be fine as there are enough who are to protect them, however when lots of people stop having them problems occur.

The MMR is used because as MoK said the contra indications are higher with the separate vaccines.
    I think it was fine as they had it before. Rubella jabs for girls as they started puberty, and the others can be there if someone wants them.
    Theres plenty of instances of people whove been vaccinated and still get the disease, which is a bit :eek2: in itself.
    But not nearly as badly, or they get mutant strains, or they hadn't had the full course of vaccinations.

At the end of the day it's a personnal choice, but without a good reason I think you'd be mad not to.
    thats what they tell you. And yes mutant strains is always gonna be a problem when vaccinating. The viruses get stronger and stronger because of it.
    Its what the numbers tell you too. Mutants happen without vaccines as well.
    I respect your right to vaccinate your children if you want.
    And I respect yours not too, am only posting the other side to your 'reasons'.
    me and my brother have just had boosters, but it wasnt an MMR, it was for polio, tetanus and something else
    i didn't know we're supposed to get an MMR top up and wasn't told i needed anything else

however my friends boyfriend told me theres still some more that you get post 16

And about the autism thing...the age that children get their jab is usually the age when they start showing signs of autism. Depending on how severe it is, they may not notice for several years. And as its to do with the genes you inherit - i don't see how a vaccine can change your genes? But then again i'm not an expert.
    Ballerina wrote:
    me and my brother have just had boosters, but it wasnt an MMR, it was for polio, tetanus and something else
    i didn't know we're supposed to get an MMR top up and wasn't told i needed anything else

You probably won't need a top-up. The MMR was introduced in around 1988, so babies born after that would have had all the jabs they needed, and I'm pretty sure it protects you for life.

You could check out what you've had if you're worried. Ask a parent if they have records of what jabs you've had.
    kaffrin wrote:
    You probably won't need a top-up. The MMR was introduced in around 1988, so babies born after that would have had all the jabs they needed, and I'm pretty sure it protects you for life.

You could check out what you've had if you're worried. Ask a parent if they have records of what jabs you've had.
    oh well i was born in 1989 and i dunno when i was jabbed. When i went for my booster i had to ask about it because they never called me (they'd actually called my brother because they give it when you're 14) and she looked at my records and said i hadn't had the booster. She didn't mention anything else. I don't think i'll need any more now if i don't need an MMR booster.
    Might not get that one either then if thats the case.

As I said before, the choice is yours. Just make sure that you go into the decision well informed and don't believe the sensationalist media headlines - like those about MMR.

Prevalence of autism hasn't increased since the introduction of MMR.. Prevalence of measles etc has since people stopped having their kids vaccinated. For me, that is the best comparison that there is.
    Bullseye wrote:
    i just don't see why, if you want each one seperate you can not have them done seperately for your children

You can. Privately. The NHS will not fund separate jabs becuase a single vaccincation is clinically sound and there is no scientific basis, which stands up to scruitiny, for separating them out. In fact, the indications are that separate vaccinations are actually more dangerous.

So, if the NHS offered that service they would a) be wasting money, and b) not following best, worldwide, clinical advice.

Secondly, is it right to put a baby through six jabs (remember you have two courses of three vaccinations) because people are [unnecessarily] concerned? There is no logical, or moral, reason why they would.
    it doesnt mean your children will all die horrible deaths.

It just increases the risk. Death cannot be undone.
    While there are a few who are not vaccinated they will be fine as there are enough who are to protect them, however when lots of people stop having them problems occur.

Kerching :thumb:

Vaccinations programmes only work when large numbers of people take part. Without that there are more people who can carry and transmit the disease and more people who are not protected from it.

As I have said before, the rate of measles has increased since Dr Wakefield's comments were given undue publicity. That is no coincidence.

Ever heard of anyone getting small pox?

I doubt it because of the worldwide vaccination programme undertaken before you were born. It is, in effect, dead.
    Theres plenty of instances of people whove been vaccinated and still get the disease, which is a bit in itself.

Basically vaccines are a case of you being given a modified version of the host disease. This helps your body create antibodies to the disease. Sometimes that manifests itself with the disease.

It's fairly common for patients vaccinated with the flu vaccine to develop symptoms within a few days.

In case you hadn't guessed, I thin kthat people are stark raving bonkers not to vaccinate their kids. The risks are so small to be insignificant, the implications can be too horrific to contemplate, IMHO. However, each to their own. I'm just glad that I'm not the doctor who has to tell them that they won't have kids/that they have a deformed baby or that the child is going to die - just because the parents had some unjustified fear.
    I've had all the vaccinations I've been called up for. I had rubella and mumps as a child and was vaccinated a couple of years after.

My son has also had all the vaccinations he has been called up for. He has a type of autism but the signs were present before he had his MMR injections. Not that I believe in any connection anyhow. My son then went on to have a strain of mumps after he had his MMR vaccination!! Apparently it is very rare these days because of the vaccination and the doctor had to go and get a second opinion as he hadn't seen it for years, he told me the vaccination doesn't protect you from every strain of the disease.
    Jumping on to a "Moral" band waggon, as though it is wrong and horrific and evil to have seperate jabs when it was seperate jabs for decades and with no problems to the infants who have had them, i find an unneccessary waste of argument. Medical arguments i can listen to and accept, but people who jump on the moral bullshit train i have no time for!
    I've just had to have an MMR and they want me to go back for another one 3 months after. Think I must have missed out on it because of my age
    I had a booster maybe 3 or 4 years ago now (So I would have been 15/16), Ive had rubella since which was a bit weird.

I had the MMR 3 times as a baby, due to lost medical records :rolleyes:
    but has anyone come across having a boster in their late teens/early twenties.

ive just had mine redone a few weeks ago but it was cos of the mumps risk for going to uni. i havent heard about rubella though
    They tend to do rubella as it can cause complications/miscarriages if caught while your pregnant, therefore they do a booster if needed so your fully protected before you start repoducing.
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I had a booster maybe 3 or 4 years ago now (So I would have been 15/16), Ive had rubella since which was a bit weird.

I had the MMR 3 times as a baby, due to lost medical records :rolleyes:
    well they do say that catching a disease confers better immunity than a vaccination anyway, which hopefully is the case if youve been vaccinated 4 times and still caught the disease :eek2: