Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I'm in one hell of a sticky situation - need advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So i handed in my programming assignment 3 weeks ago, on time and everything as i planned to. Nothing out of the ordinary...everything worked, my report looked good, i thought i was on track to getting a great result. This week, everyone got their assignments back apart from me. I checked the website, and my assignment's status changed from "Marked" to "Suspended". Curious about this i emailed the course coordinator, who replied promptly, telling me that apparently my assignment has somehow been flagged as being plagiarised!!!! Basically, they were saying that according to the online plagiarism detection system, I had plagiarised my assignment, which i can honestly say i did NOT do...i'm nowhere NEAR that STUPID. Anyway, because of this silly system stuffup, i'm now going to get into shit for plagiarism, which i did not do. However, the uni's plagiarism policy does give me the right to make an appeal against it. I'm wondering...should i wait until the university sends me the official letter telling me that i'm being punished, or should i go and see the student association right away? I'm kinda on my own here as i can't seem to get much sense out of anyone here, but i'm really hoping to get this sorted out, as i don't want any kind of permanant record on plagiarism or anything...this is all stupid, and i've never done anything like this before, and i'm really hoping that they realise that i'm innocent. :(

Thanks in advance :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Get in touch with the student assosciation now, then you have more time to deal with it, even if you don't do anything until you get the letter.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    A friend was "done" for plagiarism (she didn't do it btw) and was asked to meet with a lecturer to discuss the assignment in depth in order to assess understanding of what was written (she wasn't given much notice). She just got a caution and a rap on the knuckles.

Speak to the union and find out university policy.
  • Options
    Thanks. I've read the uni's policy on plagiarism and everything, and i understand it, and how they punish people who plagiarise, and i'm going to go and see the Student Association on Monday and just find out where i can go from here, and what i can do to try and get myself out of this mess. Either way, keep your fingers crossed everyone, and thanks again. :)
  • Options
    Oh dear. I also had a friend who was caught plagirising, though in this example she was actually guilty. She told me she "forgot" to use quotes and references. Yeah.. for the whole damn assignment! Anyway my point is, she was actually guilty, she had a strong warning and told if she was caught again she'd be off the course. Her grades for the module were suspended and she had to retake the assignments. So please don't worry too much, repeal and plead your case. Ask the tutor to go through to see why they could have misconstrued your assignment as being plagirised. If they realise their mistake (and i hope they do) ask for a full apology and exoneration.