Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question about Birth Certificates

Is it legal to photocopy them or not? I only ask because I need mine and mum told me to be careful that I don't lose it (I have the one done just over 2 weeks after my birth) and I suggested that she photocopies it. Mum said that she wasn't too sure whether this was legal or not?:confused:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, its fine.
  • Options
    Yeah, its legal.

Might be a good idea to get a certified copy from a solicitor or something, just so that it would be admissible instead of the original.
  • Options
    Yeah, its legal.

Might be a good idea to get a certified copy from a solicitor or something, just so that it would be admissible instead of the original.
  • Options
    Yeah, its legal.

• Options
    Yeah, its legal.

• Options
  • Options
    Bloody hell, how did that happen?
  • Options
    What do you need it for? Certain agencies that ask to see your birth certificate will only accept an original or a copy certified by someone they acknowledge as worthy of certification. Where I work we need to see children's birth certificates and only the original will do, OR a copy certified by two people who work for HMRC.
  • Options
    I need it for a CRB check.

Tnanks Kermit.
  • Options
    Birth Certificates

You can get a full birth certificate from the Register Office at your local council for about £7... Hope that helps. Jane.
  • Options
    yes its legal
    but if you loose the original you can always get another :yes:
  • Options
    Squiggle wrote:
    You can get a full birth certificate from the Register Office at your local council for about £7... Hope that helps. Jane.
    you have to apply to the one where you was registered. I'm from London, It's a pain in the arse as I always lose mine and i'm about 150 miles away from london!
  • Options
    Birth Certificates

If you don't want to go back to the Registery in the area you were born you can apply for copies with the General Registery, which is National. They also have an online request facility. http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

This is the telephone number for them - (0) 845 603 7788. I used this when looking for my Grandfather's birth certificate... it's very simple and they're v. helpful. I think the search plus certificate cost was around £10 at the time, a couple of years ago and it took them a couple of weeks to get back to me as we didn't know where he was registered... Shouldn't take that long if you know where you were registered and don't require a search, just the cert..

Best wishes
    JaneP