Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hahahahaha

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5347882.stm
Jesus Christ, they never seize to amaze me sometimes. This has to be the most pointless law ever. Giving guidelines is fair enough, but to make it law?

Comments

• Options
    Don`t you love that certitude ?
    Safety groups have welcomed the move, which the government says will prevent 2,000 child injuries every year.
  • Options
    Well unless the people of Britain get out of their beds tomorrow and collectively decide to torch their cars, it is pretty possible to accurately predict the number of people who will get injured in crashes, Seeker. It's not rocket science.
  • Options
    Children under 12? That means there will be some kids in their first year of High school having to use car seats!

This reminds me of the french and why clamoing never worked in france...they all as a people decided they hated them so put super glue in the locks of every clamp they saw until the Government cracked and stopped using them. we should rebel like that.
  • Options
    Given that the law comes in on Monday and the first I heard of it was this morning, not only is it a stupid law, but the implementation is crap.
  • Options
    And it gets better
    The Department for Transport has tips such as letting children give the seat a name. "He will be happier to sit on 'Henry' the seat if it's a name he has chosen."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5279142.stm
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well unless the people of Britain get out of their beds tomorrow and collectively decide to torch their cars, it is pretty possible to accurately predict the number of people who will get injured in crashes, Seeker. It's not rocket science.

I have never equated crystal ball gazing and tea leaf reading with rocket science either.

I`d GUESS the number who would be injured only if everyone torched their cars.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    And it gets better...

LOL. Imagine getting dropped off for your first day of year 7, saying bye to your mum and giving 'Henry' a cheeky little goodbye wave, too.

I can't believe this is going to be the law.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    And by the sounds of it, there's so many loopholes, there'd be no way of enforcing it. What about midgets?
  • Options
    The police can't even inforce the mobile phone use in cars law properly never mind this one.

The law is good in principle, but in practise, it's stupid.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Imagine getting dropped off for your first day of year 7, saying bye to your mum and giving 'Henry' a cheeky little goodbye wave, too.

you called your booster seat henry?
    its stupid it won't be fully implemented, enforce or re-educated
    how many parents are going to buy booster seats for their 12 year olds.
  • Options
    Giving guidelines is fair enough, but to make it law?

All I can say to that is "seatbelts" and "crash helmets". Guidelines seldom work.

... and wait for someone to give me the "personal freedom" arguement.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I have never equated crystal ball gazing and tea leaf reading with rocket science either.

I`d GUESS the number who would be injured only if everyone torched their cars.
    Unless you're a pedant who demands absolute precision, it doesn't really matter if it is 1900 injuries or 2250 instead of 2000, does it?

The point is, unless those who researched the issue fucked up, you can predict the number of injuries the seats will prevent. There is no guessing and no crystal gazing. Fact.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Unless you're a pedant who demands absolute precision, it doesn't really matter if it is 1900 injuries or 2250 instead of 2000, does it?

The point is, unless those who researched the issue fucked up, you can predict the number of injuries the seats will prevent. There is no guessing and no crystal gazing. Fact.

**I** can`t.

If it doesn`t matter if it`s 1900 or 2250, would it matter if it was 0 ? Or do the accurate predictors/guessers not consider that possibility ?
  • Options
    All I can say to that is "seatbelts" and "crash helmets". Guidelines seldom work.

Violence is the answer :chin:
    ... and wait for someone to give me the "personal freedom" arguement.

That one seems to have been cleverly side-stepped.

This ain`t about "you", it`s not personal.This one is all about "saving the children". Who could argue against that ? Certainly not a responsible parent. :rolleyes:

Get your cheque books ready, Dick Turpin has another weapon at his disposal.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    **I** can`t.

If it doesn`t matter if it`s 1900 or 2250, would it matter if it was 0 ? Or do the accurate predictors/guessers not consider that possibility ?
    They should give it the same consideration as one would give to the possibility that the Sun will rise from the West tomorrow morning.

It's just not going to happen. You can bet your entire possessions and savings that if circumstances and number of vehicles/trips don't change, you are always going to get very similar number of accidents, deaths and injuries from one year to the next.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    They should give it the same consideration as one would give to the possibility that the Sun will rise from the West tomorrow morning.

It's just not going to happen. You can bet your entire possessions and savings that if circumstances and number of vehicles/trips don't change, you are always going to get very similar number of accidents, deaths and injuries from one year to the next.

That`s a BIG if. In my experience, "circumstances" are forever changing.

As for a bet,I think I`d choose a go on the lottery first.
  • Options
    There had to be a massive change in circumnstances for anyone to doubt next year's figures.

I don't care if it can't be touched, felt or explained to some people's satisfaction. X amount of cars circulating in Britain in 2007 will result in y amount of accidents, deaths and injuries, within a certain margin. Fact.
  • Options
    Child seats compulsory until children reach 135 cm or the age of 12

What about those who don't reach the height limit? This is hilarious. :lol:
  • Options
    Yeh what about OAP midgets?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    There had to be a massive change in circumnstances for anyone to doubt next year's figures.

I don't care if it can't be touched, felt or explained to some people's satisfaction. X amount of cars circulating in Britain in 2007 will result in y amount of accidents, deaths and injuries, within a certain margin. Fact.

Fact ? ? ? ? ? You sound more certain than those so called researchers.

A simple x/y linear equation with one variable will produce varying results.

What about non-linear equations ? Try one yourself and see the vast difference if the input is changed minutely.

Once you have come to terms with that, consider if you will, as many variables as you can that may occur during the journeys of X cars in 2007 (even is X =1 ! ! ! ). I think you may be as old as I am now before you exhaust all those possibilities.

Furthermore, don`t forget the FACT that maths is not reality.
  • Options
    I really don't get what the booster seat is supposed to acheive. Seatbelt? Yeah obviously. But what is the seat going to do? And why the random height - how are people over that height magically immune from the danger?
  • Options
    The booster seat puts the seat belt into a safer position on the childs body thus helping to protect their vital organs in case of an accident or sharp braking. Once a child gets to a certain height the seatbelt will do its job alone. I guess the age thing is a combination of being realistic and reference to the changes in body structure as children grow.

Guidelines don't work, softly enforced laws however seem to.
  • Options
    What about those things you get to put on seatbelts that make them a safer height for children?
  • Options
    Those only change the shoulder height, not the lapbelt position, which is the bit kids slide under.