Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MMR Booster?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is this right, I saw the clinic nurse this week for a combined review of ongoing stuff and she mentioned having a MR booster. Apprently the surgery if offering them to 16-24 year olds (esp girls) as a protection against Rubella. I'll happily have it (esp. as so many parents are not vaccinating their kids these days - DONT get me started on that!) but has anyone come across having a boster in their late teens/early twenties.

Comments

• Options
    I remember having one of those, the MMR. Though it was in my early teens. We had to gave them before we could go to middle school (or jr high, can't remember) That was one that left your arm with a charlie horse feeling for a couple days :(
  • Options
    Yup, the vaccination program basically missed one of the boosters for a whole pile of people in that age group. Most of my year at uni had to have boosters as when we did our forms the nurse noticed most of us were short a dose.
  • Options
    Yes, it's something being pushed by the Public Health teams around the country - partly because so many parents of youngsters are not having their children vaccinated at the moment. It means that anyone who didn't get their full course a few years ago needs to complete it now, or they are at increased risk.

those age groups are not picked because they were "missed", it's because they fall outside of the GP contract which states that they should already be vaccinating others. As a result we are paying GPs separately...
  • Options
    Ah, my younger brothers both seem to have had the requisite boosters through school, pre school etc sessions. I was told that my age bracket in many areas had not been given the full set through the standard program when we were younger, hence doing it at a strange age.
  • Options
    its all a load of bollocks.
    If it wasnt, why dont they give it to older people too if we need some sort of herd immunity?
  • Options
    Sorry, Suzy - what is a load of bollocks?
  • Options
    If it wasnt, why dont they give it to older people too if we need some sort of herd immunity?

I think it's assumed that pretty much everyone 25+ will have natural immunity, cause of the high incidence of all three diseases when they were younger.

I've not had any part of the MMR, but I had measles and mumps as a kiddy, and I had a seperate rubella vaccine (although might have already been immune to that, as my brother had it and I didn't catch it off him) so I suppose I have some degree of immunity to all three now?

The problem now is the gap between the older, naturally immune people, and the younger ones who had the proper MMR dose.
  • Options
    ive never had mumps. Not sure about measles. My mum cant remember. Ive had the rubella jab when I was 11 which is ideal, because its only dangerous for pregnant women.
    The hysteria about these diseases is just so the drug companies can push their products at people as though theyre necessities.
  • Options
    Suzy, you do know that measles kills, right?
  • Options
    Suzy, you do know that measles kills, right?
    so does the flu, so does loads of things.
    The vast majority of the time it doesnt though.
  • Options
    Try again, the long term consequences of these diseases can be atrocious. Mass vaccination is expensive and is only done for good reason. Kids are vaccinated because they are easy to keep track of and get hold of through schools etc, because they are very exposed to diseases and because you can then give them protection for the majority of their lives.

Measles in children can lead to inflammation of the nervous system which then can tragically cause brain damage. This is a rare but very real consequence of the disease.

Diarrhoea 1 in 6
    Ear infections 1 in 20
    Pneumonia / bronchitis 1 in 25
    Fits (convulsions) 1 in 200
    Meningitis / encephalitis 1 in 1000
    Death 1 in 2500 to 5000
    Serious brain complications years later (Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis) 1 in 8000 (of children who have measles under 2 years)

(from medinfo).

There is currently no cure for measles, you can only attempt to treat the symptons.

Rubella is incredibly dangerous to pregnant women even more so because it is not unusual for people not to realise they have it so can be unknowingly transmitted. It can also lead to serious complications for others. Do these statistics show you why?

Damage to unborn fetus (multiple defects common) 9 out of 10 pregnancies (in the first 8 to 10 weeks)
    Damage to unborn fetus 1 in 5 to 10 (between 10 and 16 weeks)
    After 16 weeks damage is rare
    Bleeding disorders 1 in 3000
    Encephalitis 1 in 6000

(medinfo again)

Mumps can lead to infertility and takes a long time for adults to get over, as an example most students who get mumps end up having to repeat the year; temporary or permanent deafness; and like measles can affect the nervous system. It can also permanently reduce fertility.

Swollen, painful testicles 1 in 5 older males
    Deafness (usually gets partly or completely better) 1 in 25
    Pancreatitis 1 in 30
    Meningitis / encephalitis 1 in 200 to 5000.

I hope that gives an idea as to why vaccination is important. :banghead:
  • Options
    so does the flu.

That would be why there's a flu vaccine for high risk groups!
  • Options

There is currently no cure for measles, you can only attempt to treat the symptons.
    Same as for pretty much any other disease then?
  • Options
    Dont get me wrong. I think its a good thing for people to have access to vaccines, so people who consider themselves high risk can get themselves innoculated.
    Vaccines are not without risks themselves though, especially when you bombard a small childs system with 3 seperate diseases that they would never naturally be exposed to all at the same time.
  • Options
    Vaccines are not without risks themselves though.

But the risks are far far lower than those posed by the disease. I had an allergic reaction to my BCG vaccination and even then there's no way I would turn back time and not have it done.
  • Options
    and my boyfriends cousin had an allergic reaction to a vaccine and is now basically a vegetable as a result, but hey, at least they wont get hepatitis.
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear about this person, but as with the rest of life there are risks and you take your choice. Statistically the vaccinations are safer.
  • Options
    So has your little one not had the mmr then scc?
  • Options
    well exactly, but i resent that people almost feel bullied into getting vaccinations done, even though it may not be the right decision for that person or their family, then any anomolies are just seen as statistics. Thats not the only person I know/know of with bad lasting reactions to vaccines. I think a lot of these instances are brushed under the carpet in the medical field, yet we hear lots about the fraction of a percentage risk of developing severe problems with a disease. Im pretty sure the big drug corporations SmithKline Beecham etc who manufacture the vaccines are quite happy to push this. oh and of course now chicken pox is becoming seen as a killer disease in the states and is being added into the MMR.
  • Options
    yes he had his first one, but not any boosters, and im not taking him for them either.
  • Options
    yes he had his first one, but not any boosters, and im not taking him for them either.

Can i ask why? Why take him for the first one but not the boosters? Just interested.
  • Options
    Did James get his MMR Shelly?
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    Did James get his MMR Shelly?

Yep hes had all his injections.
  • Options
    because i felt pressurised and scared into getting it done then, but i feel more educated on it now, and probably wont get this little one done, although might get a single measles vaccine.
  • Options
    But not one for mumps that could prevent him from having children?

There are strict protocols for reporting adverse drug reactions and copies go to various places to ensure pharmaceutical companies cannot 'brush it under the carpet'. There are situations and people for whom some vaccinations are not suitable, that's why they ask questions.
  • Options
    Is this right, I saw the clinic nurse this week for a combined review of ongoing stuff and she mentioned having a MR booster. Apprently the surgery if offering them to 16-24 year olds (esp girls) as a protection against Rubella. I'll happily have it (esp. as so many parents are not vaccinating their kids these days - DONT get me started on that!) but has anyone come across having a boster in their late teens/early twenties.

Did you not have one in your last year of school or something? I was meant to, but I was too ill the first time and the second time I wasn't given a form to have it done. So, I had to wait until June of this year to have it done.
  • Options
    so does the flu

... and so we vaccinate those at risk.
    The vast majority of the time it doesnt though.

... because the vast majority of the population are immune, thanks to the vaccination programme.

Oh, and I am sure that it is just a coincidence that the take up of MMR has reduced and that the biggest outbreak in 20 years happens Details

And the first death in 14 years Details

Or that since the pledge by the WHO and UN Children's Fund to reduce deaths by measles, through vaccination, the number of deaths annually around the world has dropped from over 870,000 to 454,000. Details
    but i feel more educated on it now

... sadly, you are wrong. Funny how perceptions can be so misplaced, isn't it? In this case you are placing someone else's life at risk. As you say, your choice.

This paper here looks at over 27,000 children over an 11 year period and shows no connection between either MMR or mercury and autism.

In fact, looking around apart from the comments of Dr Andrew Wakefield (who is now in front on the GMC), there is no scientific basis for suggesting that the MMR vaccine is unsafe.

None.

Not one paper.

Anywhere in the world.
    although might get a single measles vaccine.

..which, in fact, actually has a worse record for "linked" side effects that than one you worry about...

It's one thing to have a healthy distrust of the pharma indistry and your national Govt. It's another thing to fly in the face of, pretty much, every medic in the world.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Did you not have one in your last year of school or something? I was meant to, but I was too ill the first time and the second time I wasn't given a form to have it done. So, I had to wait until June of this year to have it done.

No I'm sure I was supposed to have them but that was around time they stopped doing the BCG's so they never got done. I had all the other at secondary, meningitus, BGC at school and polio/tetnus/diptheria at the surgery. I will proabably get it done next time I go for a check-up as I dont fancy any of those diseses as an adult.
  • Options
    They caught up with some people in school, but lots missed out, hence the program. If you ring the practise nurse you'll be able to get one easy peasy at a time to suit you.

If your off to uni or anything, get it sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    I'm working so I dont need in urgently, I need to go back and see the nurse in three months for an athma review so I'll get it done then. My mum had all three (In think) when she was a kid and it wasnt nice at all.