Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i don't want to go back to university rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i don't want to go back to university. its about 2 weeks or so away and i'm dreading it. i'm not going to know anyone when i go back. i've spent the summer pretty much on my own surrounded by people who don't speak much english. and i'm not sure that the problems / reasons why i failed last year are going to cause problems for me performing this year. i want my degree i suppose because i've put a lot into trying to do it so far. i don't know what else i'd do if i wern't at uni. i seem to have formed an unhealthy institutional mentality over it. i hate it though. i feel ashamed to have failed and my university won't give me any support. i feel stuck. and i'm beginning to feel really really low. i keep trying not to think about things; but so much crap is going on in my life atm that going back there feels like it would be the nail in the coffin. its not like i'd have a home or anything to go back to either if i just quit and walked away and tbh i feel like i've fu*ked up my life already... :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Oh no! Sorry you feel so bad about it- it's a lot of pressure isn't it? What are you doing then- do a straight re-take of your third year? Do you have finance for the year? Just think, it's really only a few more months and then you can leave, it's no where near a whole year.

Or, is your degree modular? Have you though about finishing your last year part-time? You could get a job then, and a change of scenery, or just take it all a bit easier. It's better for your uni for you to stay and finish your degree than to quit so from that perspective alone there should be someone there for you to talk to about your options. I know we used to have a student welfare person who was great. Or, not that I think you ought to do this because I actually don't, you might actually already qualify for a diploma in your course now. A diploma would mean you could leave without your degree and then possibly top up to a degree at a later date through a uni or the open university. If you did that, you'd have to think about what you'd do and where you'd go.

Good luck with whatever you choose- and hell, we're still young, it's all experience and virtually nothing we do is irreversable or can't be turned around.
  • Options
    Hey Otter
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling good about uni. It can be tough if you have to go back when you don't know anyone. I guess you've got to weigh up what you'll gain from going back against how much better you'll feel if you don't. If you had a definite alternative then not going back could be a constructive move, but it could make you feel worse (esp in terms of self-esteem) if you don't and then you wander around without direction.

If you go back, it won't take long to make new friends - and in many ways, not focussing too much on your social life may help you to concentrate on studying more. It might also boost your confidence to know that you overcame the hurdle. And if you really, really hate it, you can always drop out later.

I hope you feel happy about whatever decision you make

Take care :)
  • Options
    hey man sorry you feel this way, but i kinda feel like you, i kinda feel depressen and its not really helping. but if you even need to talk please feel free to talk to me on msn!