Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

De-skanking leather

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a nice leather winter coat. I was going to give it away to charity since its coming up on fall and winter time. I forgot I had left it in my car whilst traveling so I found it in a ball under the passenger seat of my car. I love leaving my car windows open when it rains, which it had done several times since the coat has been in there. It now has that funky musty wet dog smell to it. Its not dirty, just a bit stinky. Whats the best way to freshen it up?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    febreze? and hang it in doors near a window to air out!
  • Options
    I think febreeze is even nastier than what its already at :p I'll try the hanging to air out thing, thank! :thumb:
  • Options
    I used some stuff called "Saddle Soap" to clean up the leather interior in my Dad's Lotus a few years ago. It cleaned it up very well and the difference it made to the smell was incredible. Was only a couple of quid for a big bar, too.

People have since warned me off using it - but in my experience, it seems to work well. It literally came up in a colour I hadn't dreamt I'd see in there - the difference was truly remarkable.

If the leather itself is clean, but just a bit smelly, then consider spraying neat vodka on the surface. But use some kind of leather food or conditioner afterwards :).
  • Options
    then consider spraying neat vodka on the surface.

:no: :crying: What a waste.