Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Danger going out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is it just me ot has anyone else noticed the increase in violent crimes in city centres late at night?
it used to be fine going out pretty much anywhere at night but the past two nightclubs i've visited have had people getting stabbed outside at the end of the night.

I just think its all a bit pointless really, theres no honour in pulling a knife on someone its just for weak people who dont use their brains.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Apparently voilent street crime is down!
    You may have just opened your eto it more, there's always voilence happening at night....
  • Options
    To make things worse, its mostly "kids" that are doing it.

Its horrible to think that people are afraid of going out at night because gangs (not individuals) are causing trouble. From where I'm from, local gangs of kids are absolutly wrecking the place & beating up people including women & the elderly.

I think in the area I live in there should be curfews on kids, so that they are not allowed to be out past a certain time & that they shouldn't be allowed to stand around in gangs. Obviously it wont happen.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Is it just me ot has anyone else noticed the increase in violent crimes in city centres late at night?
    it used to be fine going out pretty much anywhere at night but the past two nightclubs i've visited have had people getting stabbed outside at the end of the night.

I just think its all a bit pointless really, theres no honour in pulling a knife on someone its just for weak people who dont use their brains.
    maybe its the clubs you go to? there are some in manchester i would never go near because everyone who goes seems to have an attitude problem (and also the music is r&b wank).
  • Options
    yeah it probably is tbh, the problem with nottingham is there are only 3 main choices for clubs, oceana - nice if you have a few million quid to spare (its a tenner to get in then about £5 a bottle), love shack/rock city - sticky floors, full of chavies, and mode - where i'll normally go, has hed kandi & trollied nights, reasonably priced but lately has become a hotspot for stabbings.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    It doesn't really matter what city you live in there are always crimes around nightclubs. Its all the violence of piss heads usually, not alot you can do about it apart from stay away from the areas you know are bad.
  • Options
    I hate to say it because it's a media-fuelled generalisation, but hasn't Nottingham (assuming that's where you're talking about going out) always been known for having quite a high rate of violent crime? Don't quote me on that, it's just what I've been led to believe through the people I know who've studied there (and are originally from round here, so have room for comparison) and of course reading ever-reliable (:p) news stories etc.

In terms of my own back yard, I haven't seen a brawl or anyone getting started on in a pub/club/in the street now for months and months. The last dozen times I've seen anyone getting hauled into a riot van or pulled apart on the street has been exclusively on match days, so make of that what you will! Admittedly I generally go to extremely chilled out places where people have always liked to kick back and have a laugh rather than get knife-happy, but compared to what I used to see around Newcastle a couple of years ago I'd say things have calmed down a LOT - even in the more concentrated club and pub areas at booting out time. It's outside of the city centre and completely unrelated to drink, drugs and nightlife where the problems seem to be (and seem to be rising).

But obviously it's different everywhere you go.
  • Options
    you live in nottingham. :p

i never really see any fighting when i'm out really.

i think you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. just because 2 incidents have happened that you've seen, doesn't mean they happen regularly.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    oceana - nice if you have a few million quid to spare (its a tenner to get in then about £5 a bottle),
    theres an oceana in leeds and i would associate it with scallies at the weekend. i don't think its a tenner to get in because i think its in competition with other large mainstream clubs which i wouldn't step foot in such as creation and majestyks. i hate all that cheesy dance and r&b shit.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    compared to what I used to see around Newcastle a couple of years ago I'd say things have calmed down a LOT - even in the more concentrated club and pub areas at booting out time.

Glad you said that, I shall be pissing it up there this weekend! I think I will leave my Chelsea shirt at home though! :D

As for my area... depends on where you go... some places its like a war zone at kicking out time! I swear some people leave the clubs early just to get a good seat for whats about to commence!

But there are nice area's too, I tend to go into central London and the surrounding areas now... dont see much trouble round there!
  • Options
    Have fun mate, I'm pretty damn sure you will!

... and if I see anyone staggering down the street with straws stuck in their hair I will be sure to say hi! :razz:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    ... and if I see anyone staggering down the street with straws stuck in their hair I will be sure to say hi! :razz:

:lol:

No pulling them out though!! It gets messy! :D
  • Options
    i always feel pretty safe when ive been out and ive been out in a few "dodgy" cities over the world which people say can be dangerous like riga, bratislava, new york, detroit and have only ever ONCE been damaged, and that was in Burnley of all places. bit of a beating. but if you go round being scared it'll be with you forever. i of course went back out in burnley the week after and was fine. My mate however got his jaw broken on a night out and spent a week in hospital, not good. still doesnt know what happened. he still goes out now.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I alwayts go into town with a good crowd I can rely on. Still that doesn't stop somebody sticking me with a blade.

Salisbury, Southampton and Bournemouth arn't that bad anyway.

FREE PARTIES ARE BACK - well they're getting more popular once again anyway.
    This summer there's been loads of free forest parties kicking off near me, and although I've only been to one this year so far, I'm going to make more of an effort to go to these instead of town.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    theres an oceana in leeds and i would associate it with scallies at the weekend.

Merrion centre is a bit of a scally area all the time :sour:

Someone got shot outside my "local", but that was a while ago.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    FREE PARTIES ARE BACK - well they're getting more popular once again anyway.
    This summer there's been loads of free forest parties kicking off near me, and although I've only been to one this year so far, I'm going to make more of an effort to go to these instead of town.

I have noticed that actually... I didnt make it to any, but there were loads about!!
    Def going to be checking smoe out in the near future!
  • Options
  • Options
    Scallies in rock city?! What night would that be?
    I love rock city and never seen any trouble in there.

There are cheaper nights at oceana, never been there though. I think it's Tuesday.
  • Options
    Scallies in rock city?! What night would that be?
    I love rock city and never seen any trouble in there.

There are cheaper nights at oceana, never been there though. I think it's Tuesday.

Rock City is a dump.
  • Options
    Depends where you go. I know where I live there's a few well known trouble spots, whenever I'm outside these places I make sure I get away as quick as possible. Hanging about is just asking for trouble.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Rock City is a dump.

It's a rock club, what do you expect? leather sofas and toilet attendants? :p

P.s. if you do go to rock city i would advise not drinking pints of stuff if things haven't changed much from when i used to work there...

Chavs/townie types would go to rock city on a friday night as it's the loveshack night they have on, 60's, 70's and 80's cheese :yuck:

I left notts last summer and it never seemed that bad for violence while i was there...
  • Options
    bog wog
  • Options
    I went to a bar in Stoke Newington the other night and there'd obviously been something outside... loads of police, blood on the pavement... not nice. I see it a lot but everyone around here talks like it only ever happens in London and it's always been like this. I'm not entirely convinced by either of those things though...
  • Options
    It's a rock club, what do you expect? leather sofas and toilet attendants? :p

P.s. if you do go to rock city i would advise not drinking pints of stuff if things haven't changed much from when i used to work there...

Chavs/townie types would go to rock city on a friday night as it's the loveshack night they have on, 60's, 70's and 80's cheese :yuck:

I left notts last summer and it never seemed that bad for violence while i was there...

:yes: Exactly, it's a rock club. That's what they're like and I love it. And as rock clubs go, rock city is one of the nicest I've been to.

Eek what's wrong with the pints? I never drink pints of anything but please do tell why I shouldn't incase the urge should ever come over me!

Never been on a Friday, so never seen the chavs. Thurs and sat it is for me.
  • Options
    Can you punch people in the face when in the Mosh pit and not chucked out, I think I heard summut like that on here.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    I have noticed that actually... I didnt make it to any, but there were loads about!!
    Def going to be checking smoe out in the near future!

Ours are always getting busted.

Did you hear about those cocks at the free party last month (may of been this month actually) that kicked shit outta cops? It's those pricks that we don't want and they give the free party scene a bad name.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote:
    Can you punch people in the face when in the Mosh pit and not chucked out, I think I heard summut like that on here.
    Yeah, i went to a gig at rock city and the moshers were just kicking off in random places, head down arms swinging.
    Some of them are fucking crazy though, one guy jumped into my mate a few times which pissed him off so my mate turned around and launched the guy the face to which the guy just gave him a big toothy grin and carried on jumping around.:shocking:
  • Options
    i always feel totally safe

i`m lucky in that my mum is soft with me and takes me and picks me up from wherever i go

i also am very careful with my drinks and dont let myself get that bladdered that i`m not in control of my actions
  • Options
    Might wanna change your quote at the bottom of your posts, someones beat you to it :razz:
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Might wanna change your quote at the bottom of your posts, someones beat you to it :razz:
    haha oh well, we can be the piss glitter gang :lol:
  • Options
    :yes: Exactly, it's a rock club. That's what they're like and I love it. And as rock clubs go, rock city is one of the nicest I've been to.

Eek what's wrong with the pints? I never drink pints of anything but please do tell why I shouldn't incase the urge should ever come over me!

Never been on a Friday, so never seen the chavs. Thurs and sat it is for me.

First night i worked there was a friday :grump:

As for the pints, it was a case of i've been to the pump room before and it's not the nicest place in the world shall we say... That and in general the lines for the pumps hardly ever got cleaned either.

As i said, this was a while back, so dunno how things are now.