Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

No surprise some kids are getting fatter!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/5349392.stm
Parents feed pupils through gates

Pupils at a South Yorkshire school are being fed fish and chips through the gates by parents who say the canteen is not providing what their children want.

Students at Rawmarsh Comprehensive are not allowed out of the grounds at lunchtime, so some parents are taking their orders for the chip shop instead.

For fuck's sake! :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

No surprise there are so many spoilt brats feeding on shit food on their way to obesity nowadays.

Nice parenting... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The idea on paper is good, after all half an hour for a lunch break (which most of is spent queuing) is unacceptable. If the food is like our school was it then it was absolutely foul cold uneatable rubbish.

A good idea on paper, dont really approve of whats being brought in for them though, although in their defence they were featured on the local lunchtime news here and most of the stuff being brought in was relatively healthy, I think the Beeb have just attached themselves to the fish and chips.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It could well be that the BBC is putting a spin to the story, but according to the article the issue wasn't with lack of time but with some little brats not wanting to eat because the school is no longer serving the so-called food "they like".

Talk about spoliing a child...
    The thing is, the kids should try something new instead of the same old pizza, chips & burgers.
    Sofie wrote:
    The thing is, the kids should try something new instead of the same old pizza, chips & burgers.
    Try telling that to a kid. As a child, I ate hardly anything except chips, burgers and ravioli in sauce for some reason. I practically lived on that for about five years!
    For the parents to undermine the school in such a way is completely unacceptable. It would be nice if these people got a job and did something productive instead of spending their day taking orders for the chip shop.

Personally I do partly agree with the whole healthy eating thing; children should not be eating cheap food packed with chemicals and other crap but then I think the crux of the child obesity problem is lazy kids not getting any exercise. The fact is children have been eating fish and chips or whatever a few times a week for years and years, it's really nothing new. Maybe incentives for walking to school (for those living nearby) and a few extra PE lessons would help?
    Ah these parents are really stupid. OK, let's keep to choice then if that's what they want.

There should be a letter wrote out to all parents which they can decide on whether they prefer their child to eat healthily or anything they would like from crisp, crisps and fizzy drinks. Then food will be served respectively.

Or we can turn to common sense and back the whole scheme to get children to eat healthier. Healthy food means a healthy mind. Children will feel more alert and will absorb more information. P.E should be compulsory and should be available twice a week with many after school activities.
    Luke - PE is compulsary, but up to Year 10, it's 2 hours a week. For Years 10 & 11 it's one hour. After that, there's no compulsary requirement to do PE, but sport is encouraged.
    Sofie wrote:
    Luke - PE is compulsary, but up to Year 10, it's 2 hours a week. For Years 10 & 11 it's one hour. After that, there's no compulsary requirement to do PE, but sport is encouraged.
    I did suggest it being complusary. Also regarding what you're saying, this is not the case at my ex school.
    That's the law, apparantely.
    We did PE twice a week and the fat bastards still remained fat bastards.

A half hour run twice a week is useless if you run out of wind after a minute. Forcing it on people only serves to make them hate excercise/sport even more anyway. Utterly pointless.
    You are right, Spliffie. And I am sure that they will also be moaning/complaining in the A&E when they have a heart attack - or when they develop typ II diabetes etc.

It's so hard to get kids to understand the concept of long term implications...
    The amount being eaten by people is not the issue, people are actually consuming fewer calories now than they were 50 years ago. Healthy eating is all well and noble, but I think a lot of people take it to extremes. There's nothing wrong with the odd bag of chips or takeout curry.

As for parents "undermining" schools, I suppose it comes down to whom you think should have the final say on what children can and cannot do. I really don't think its up to the state to dictate to parents how they should behave.

As for sport being "encouraged", don't make me laugh. Unless you're Beckham PE teachers don't give a flying fuck about you, and spend more of their time mocking your efforts than encouraging you to enjoy the sport you are playing. I was never all that good at sport because I couldn't run very fast and I couldn't see too well without my glasses, and rather than offer me encouragement they spent their time humiliating the weakest runners and jumpers. For some unfathomable reason I lost all confidence in exercise, and didn't do any, and it took me years to get over it.
    Kermit wrote:
    The amount being eaten by people is not the issue, people are actually consuming fewer calories now than they were 50 years ago.
    I've always been told the contrary to this.
    Kermit wrote:
    Healthy eating is all well and noble, but I think a lot of people take it to extremes. There's nothing wrong with the odd bag of chips or takeout curry.
    Yeah - but in moderation. Many people ear this kind of stuff everyday, which is taking it to the extreme.
    Kermit wrote:
    As for parents "undermining" schools, I suppose it comes down to whom you think should have the final say on what children can and cannot do. I really don't think its up to the state to dictate to parents how they should behave.
    I supose it is up to the individual but in this case, the parents. But I believe parents should support healthy eating - what eactly is wrong with it? I don't understand why these parents are so against it.
    Kermit wrote:
    As for sport being "encouraged", don't make me laugh. Unless you're Beckham PE teachers don't give a flying fuck about you, and spend more of their time mocking your efforts than encouraging you to enjoy the sport you are playing. I was never all that good at sport because I couldn't run very fast and I couldn't see too well without my glasses, and rather than offer me encouragement they spent their time humiliating the weakest runners and jumpers. For some unfathomable reason I lost all confidence in exercise, and didn't do any, and it took me years to get over it.
    I agree somewhat here. At my school it were the same old people that were captains of sport etc. It is humiliating for those that need encouragement to be better at sport. They never get the chance and become to hate it as they're always being laughed at or humiliated.

There needs to be a lot more selection in PE lessons and a lot more individuality. I mean, kids need to set their own targets so they get some benefit from the lessons.
    Kermit wrote:
    But then again schools have a policy- and indeed a duty- to provide healthy and balanced meals. Sure, the school meals themselves could be rather bad only a year ago, the point is schools are moving towards healthier meals for everyone.

If parents don't agree with the menu then they should take their kid out and find a school were Mcshit is served- or give their kids home education so they can make sure their precious little kids eat exactly what they like- lest they see anything green on their plate and have a fit.
    Schools have a duty to provide it, but they don't have a right to force-feed kids it.

If parents decide to do this, it is a decision for the parent and child. I don't agree with their decision, but its not up to the school to start trying to impose sanctions.

luke, the consumption of calories has gone down by about 700 calories a day on average. The problem is that the burning off of calories has gone down by about 1100 calories a day.
    I think school menu's used to be appauling, rank mash and veg or chips with beans/curry etc etc

I am very into healthy eating, not a freak as I do have my treats (quite often!) but my staple meals are healthy and nutritious, and I pride myself on my baby boy eating the same way.

Diet goes a long way in keeping peoples mental state healthy too y'know
    Sofie wrote:
    at our school in year 7 its 3 hours a week, then 2 after that

in year 11 we could chose between a sport and the gym though
    There is also the issue of people taking fucking orders for other kids.

It's bad enough that some parents feel their precious little child must not go a single day without having their portion of chips... but when they start taking orders over the fence from other kids that simply takes the piss.

I sincererly hope the school in question puts a barbed wire perimeter fence so the shameful episode isn't repeated.
    Excercise is certainly an issue. It take a lot of hard work to keep fit, and if you stop, it's gone. I spent 9 months getting up to my peak competition fitness, I had to stop for 6 weeks for an injury, and it's gone. Almost all of it. That's either completely soul-destroying, or an encouragement to get back on the pitch and back on the track asap.

So for calories, yeah, maybe we are eating less, but we're eating artificial crap, E numbers and preservatives, and people wonder why ADHD and ADD is suddenly everywhere, don't they think it might have something to do with the chemicals we've been feeding our kids.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I sincererly hope the school in question puts a barbed wire perimeter fence so the shameful episode isn't repeated.

The (unintended ?) irony there has me VERY amused.:D :D
    I aim to please. :)

Do explain the cause of your amusement though :confused:
    Aladdin wrote:
    I aim to please. :)

Do explain the cause of your amusement though :confused:

You are refering to an institution that provides a compulsory service that must be paid for whether used or not, and the contents of which are dictated (i.e. propaganda of the providers). The recipients of the service are also forced to attend under threat of violence to their family members.

Barbed wire perimeter fence, indeed.
    I was going to ask "what is this violence you speak of", but from previous experience with the lamented klintock I shall refrain from doing so- I can see the thread derailing very rapidly into the same boring arguments discussed plenty of times here. So I shall say no more.
    seeker wrote:
    You are refering to an institution that provides a compulsory service that must be paid for whether used or not, and the contents of which are dictated (i.e. propaganda of the providers). The recipients of the service are also forced to attend under threat of violence to their family members.

Barbed wire perimeter fence, indeed.
    It's like Klintock is actually in the room...
    Aladdin wrote:
    I was going to ask "what is this violence you speak of", but from previous experience with the lamented klintock...
    Should have read right to the end of the thread before hitting 'reply' I guess. Ah, well... :)
    Aladdin wrote:
    I was going to ask "what is this violence you speak of", but from previous experience with the lamented klintock I shall refrain from doing so- I can see the thread derailing very rapidly into the same boring arguments discussed plenty of times here. So I shall say no more.

A victim of the aforementioned institution, per chance ? :chin:
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    people wonder why ADHD and ADD is suddenly everywhere, don't they think it might have something to do with the chemicals we've been feeding our kids.

Worth bearing in mind that new medical conditions often seem to suddenly spring up when they are discovered - it doesn't necessarily mean they didn't exsist before - just that no one had any term to discribe them previously.

For example, some of the studies of life-sentance prisoners showed evidence of childhood add or adhd at a very high rate regardless of age - but I'm afraid you'll have to take that on trust as it was something I read years ago rather than something I've got a link to.
    I was fuming when I about this in the papers. Fine if they want to do that to their kids but if they were selling food like that at lunch time to my kids, I'd go ballistic!
    They say the kids are left starving, well tough! Let them starve. Fill them up with a good breakfast and i they don't have their lunch, they can wait til their evening meal, it's hardly starving, is it?
    They will have to learn to like fruit, veg and healthy food.
    I'm not saying no treats and no to chips, just not every day of the week.
    Jim V wrote:
    Worth bearing in mind that new medical conditions often seem to suddenly spring up when they are discovered - it doesn't necessarily mean they didn't exsist before - just that no one had any term to discribe them previously.

For example, some of the studies of life-sentance prisoners showed evidence of childhood add or adhd at a very high rate regardless of age - but I'm afraid you'll have to take that on trust as it was something I read years ago rather than something I've got a link to.
    That's a factor as well. Until something exists, you can't suffer from it.

However, good diet, not full of crap makes a massive difference, as tested on life-sentance prisoners, but I also don't have a link.
    I really eat the food at school becuase it was all fryed unhealthy stuff, my sixth form I was going home every day for lunch (but living right by the school helped). Ther needs to be
    a) cooking lessons reitroduced, not Food Tech, Cooking, how to make healthy meals etc. I'm 21 have done food tech and cant cook for shit.

b) there needs to be more emphasis on exercise, the PE requirments are shit and after school sports clubs are few and far between. Kids need to be encouarged and not be degraded for trying, I never did anything at sports day because I knew I would have the piss taken for coming last. The also need to encourage kids to walk/ride to school more. I know this is hard for some as the live some way from the school etc but the amount of mothers that pick their kids up when they live a mile or so away (and could be walked in little time) is stupid. I always walked to school/work when it was close enough. (4 mile round trip each day, for over a year in one job) I would happily walk to work now, its just would take me 2 hours.