Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Concerns about course

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I had my course enrollment for my makeup artistry diploma the other day.
Apparently it's a part of the syllabus that each student has to have their hair cut and coloured by another student in the same class. My tutor says if we're not prepared to do this, we're on the wrong course.

It's taken me 4 months of the application proccess, and spent over £300 on a kit that's non returnable.

Am I being reasonable to think that this is an unreasonable request, when during the application proccess, this wasn't mentioned. Surely there'd be a disclaimer or something? Surely we can't be forced against our will?
Any thoughts?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    nah i don't think you're being unreasonable. since when did make up artistry involve hair cuts?
  • Options
    Hairdressing is a huge part of my course - 4 hours of practical hairdressing every monday. :chin:
  • Options
    Although it would be unreasonable if you expected someone to let you practise on them and weren't willing to return the favour.
  • Options
    well would you have decided not to do the course if you knew this beforehand?
  • Options
    I'm not bothered about not cutting someone elses hair, my sister's already given her consent to be my model, should I need one.

And yes, I would have seriously considered not taking this course if it was 'you either have your hair cut or you don't get on the course' but I wasn't told that before I committed myself to a year on this course.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I can't see the problem. Perhaps its because I'm a man?
  • Options
    ^Yes, because you're a man.
    You haven't been growing your hair for the past 3 years and refused to pay someone to cut your hair in fear of them chopping 3 inches off your most prized possession. Yes, my hair is that important to me. :yes:
  • Options
    Wear a wig on the day of the haircutting :yes:
  • Options
    I don't think its proper of them to expect that you will let your hair be cut *and* colored by somebody else. Its too early to really explain why. You are there to learn, not to be the dummy. People need to be willing to have their hair done by a student. I always hear of people needing to find their own ready and willing hair model, not be forced into it. I think its horrible that they expect that of you.
  • Options
    And yes, I would have seriously considered not taking this course if it was 'you either have your hair cut or you don't get on the course'.

Really? What's three year's of hair growth and the slight danger of having to wear a hat for a couple of weeks compared to a career and skills? Yes, it does seem a bit shite that they stipulate each student to be another's model, especially without making it clear beforehand, bute surely chucking in the course is a bit drastic.

You never know, you might even like your new style :yes:
  • Options
    It's not 2 weeks worth though is it? It's taken me 3 years to get it halfway down my back, so 2 weeks of wearing a hat (which I wouldn't be allowed to do anyway!!) isn't going to do anything.

I won't be having a new style. I will not consent to it. I shall have to talk to my tutor on monday. There's no way they can force me to give consent. :chin:
  • Options
    My friend does a makeup artistry course, and she had to have her hair style, but I'm pretty sure she hasn't had it cut. It was pretty long last time I saw her anyway. Can you not offer to bring a model in?
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    Really? What's three year's of hair growth and the slight danger of having to wear a hat for a couple of weeks compared to a career and skills? Yes, it does seem a bit shite that they stipulate each student to be another's model, especially without making it clear beforehand, bute surely chucking in the course is a bit drastic.

You never know, you might even like your new style :yes:
    I agree with that tbh.
    How much of a cut are they expecting? Surely not a complete restyle? Maybe you could get away with someone just trimming the ends?
  • Options
    It's not 2 weeks worth though is it? It's taken me 3 years to get it halfway down my back, so 2 weeks of wearing a hat (which I wouldn't be allowed to do anyway!!) isn't going to do anything.

I was being flippant - it probably won't be that bad. But three years is still very little in the scheme of things - if you're that bothered about whatever they do you can grow it again.

Priorities, woman! Isn't it more important that you go along, be a sport, and get your diploma at the end of it?

Also, can you contact any former students and find out what happened to them? It may reassure you.
  • Options
    My friend does a makeup artistry course, and she had to have her hair style, but I'm pretty sure she hasn't had it cut. It was pretty long last time I saw her anyway. Can you not offer to bring a model in?
    That's what I will do when I talk to my tutor, I'll offer an alternative model, but I won't be volunteering myself.
  • Options
    It does seem a bit stupid. I mean how long is the course? They can't expect you to keep having to get your hair re-styled by a student every week or month.
  • Options
    Go through all the course info too, there must have been something in there about where the models come from and if not did you not think to ask?

Talk to the course tutor and express your concerns, but be prepared to be treated like a selk centred madam.
  • Options
    I have read all the information booklets I've been given and there is no mention of it at all. Included in our course kit is a hairdressing dummy head with a full head of human hair - there was no need for me to even contemplate being a 'model' let alone being forced to be one.

I don't care if I come across as self centred. I have a damn right to be - I'm a mature student who has chosen to go back to college and paid to go back to college. I'm not a child at school being told what to do - I have the right to question things.
  • Options
    to be honest i can't believe you'd even consider not doing the course (which is something i believe you've always wanted to do?) just for the sake of perhaps getting a cm or 2 chopped off the end of your hair which probably needs a trim anyway.
  • Options
    You haven't been growing your hair for the past 3 years and refused to pay someone to cut your hair in fear of them chopping 3 inches off your most prized possession. Yes, my hair is that important to me. :yes:

I guess you have to decide if your hair is more important to you than your career.

Your hair will grow back, even if it does take 3 years. A qualification will set you up for life.

Your call.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    I guess you have to decide if your hair is more important to you than your career.

Your hair will grow back, even if it does take 3 years. A qualification will set you up for life.

Your call.

Exactly.

On my course (a course which runs closely along side most makeup artistry courses) I have to have all treatments done on me, or I don't pass the course. Simple as. Why should I be allowed to do them on someone else if I've never experience it myself? It's like having someone teach you to drive who's learnt what you need to do from a book rather than driving a car themselves for so many years.

The amount of things I had to have done last year (and this year now!!!!) that I didn't want is ridiculous, but it's tough luck. You'll be expecting to have someone to praticse on yes? Why should you be any different? All hair/beauty/make up courses are the same up and down the country.

It's like your lecturer said - if you wont do it, then you're on the wrong course. I seriously think you need to decide if your hair means more than a qualification. Like you said, you have gone back to college, you are a mature student, and I couldn't applaud that more. Lots of people arent even that brave. If you're willing to give it up over hair then you obviously aren't that commited to the course in the first place.

ETA: After re reading, I seriously doubt your college will allow an external model to come in to the class just for you. Odds on, they wont be insured if something went wrong etcetc. And even if they did, you will have all had to have practised on each other first as a likelyhood.
  • Options
  • Options
    I understand all your reasoning, but I'm not willing to give up my hair OR the course. I was not informed about having to make such a choice prior to committing myself to a year's diploma and I see that as the college's problem.
    I shall talk to my tutor about my concerns. I very much doubt that the college will present me with an ultimatum and as a mature student I hope they'll appreciate me voicing my concerns and discussing the alternatives. I'm not a quitter, it's what I want to do I know that.

Thanks for your help x
  • Options
    Well let us know how it goes. Your not that much of a mature student though, surely at 20 you only just hit that category so don't go looking for too much special treatment.

Good luck.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    Exactly.

On my course (a course which runs closely along side most makeup artistry courses) I have to have all treatments done on me, or I don't pass the course. Simple as. Why should I be allowed to do them on someone else if I've never experience it myself?
    I've been to the college and looked at studying a GNVQ in Beauty Therapy. I know that all students on the beauty course have to practise on each other - I knew that beforehand thus me not applying for that specific course.

I was not told though, that the Makeup Artistry course would include a mandatory cut and colour.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I've been to the college and looked at studying a GNVQ in Beauty Therapy. I know that all students on the beauty course have to practise on each other - I knew that beforehand thus me not applying for that specific course.

I was not told though, that the Makeup Artistry course would include a mandatory cut and colour.

Surely if the beauty therapy course has you practising on each other then surely there would be quite a likelyhood of you having to practise on each other in this course?

But I agree with the rest. It's only hair. Any changes aren't permenant. Get your hair right in a couple of years. You never know, you may like the changes ;)
  • Options
    To be honest, I'd probably feel the same way as you Ilora. I don't even let hairdressers near my hair, which is a combination of abject fear of them and also the knowledge of the butchery they can potentially commit. I certainly wouldn't want to be duty-bound to have it altered as part of an educational course. Fair enough if it was voluntary, some people just love that shit... but to make it mandatory seems very bizarre, and especially if there was no forewarning.

So yeah, talk to your tutor as planned and let her (?) know that, while otherwise you wouldn't hesitate to get involved with any aspect of the course you weren't aware of this condition of acceptance and it's really not something you feel comfortable with. Go on to let her know that you hope that won't jeopardise your success as it's something you're [obviously] so passionate about.

Hope all goes well, I hear ya my hair is that important to me, too :thumb:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    but I'm not willing to give up my hair OR the course.

You're a bit fucked then really, aren't you?
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    To be honest, I'd probably feel the same way as you Ilora. I don't even let hairdressers near my hair, which is a combination of abject fear of them and also the knowledge of the butchery they can potentially commit. I certainly wouldn't want to be duty-bound to have it altered as part of an educational course. Fair enough if it was voluntary, some people just love that shit... but to make it mandatory seems very bizarre, and especially if there was no forewarning.

So yeah, talk to your tutor as planned and let her (?) know that, while otherwise you wouldn't hesitate to get involved with any aspect of the course you weren't aware of this condition of acceptance and it's really not something you feel comfortable with. Go on to let her know that you hope that won't jeopardise your success as it's something you're [obviously] so passionate about.

Hope all goes well, I hear ya my hair is that important to me, too :thumb:
    :) Thankyou. It means a lot. People don't realise how important some things are to some people.
  • Options
    I know where you are coming from too. I wouldn't want to let a student loose on my hair as I've been growing it for years. I think it's unfair to expect you to do so. Make up and treatments are one thing, but hair takes a long time to grow back.