Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dramatic Increase in 'Speedballing'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5340514.stm

From the beed; survey shows a 60% increase in the practice of taking Heroin and Crack Cocaine together. DrugScope warns of implications for injection related diseases and an increase in crime rates.

Comments

• Options
    This isnt a new increase, its been going on for a while, with most crack users now also using heroin (at least on a on/off basis).

Obviously the more drugs you use the more you have to find in money terms, which means more crime.

Again, prescribing heroin would help distance people from dealers and cut down on crime, but it wont happen because the government only care about opinion polls and not anything which might actually help.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    It warned the practice could lead to rising crime, saying, on average, speedballers have three times as many convictions as heroin-only users.

Think its stupid when they link the drugs to crimes, being high on any drug does not make you more susceptable to commit a crime

Its only the a few people that may steal for money, i think people who commit crimes happen to take drugs :chin:
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Think its stupid when they link the drugs to crimes, being high on any drug does not make you more susceptable to commit a crime

Its only the a few people that may steal for money, i think people who commit crimes happen to take drugs :chin:

It doesnt always have to, but being a heroin AND crack user is going to make it a lot more likely that you will be a criminal by the very nature of the addiction and the criminal market.

Could you find £500 cash a week legally?

You are right though, statistically it is only a small number of people who are the 'chaotic' users who commit a large chunk of crime.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    budda wrote:
    It doesnt always have to, but being a heroin AND crack user is going to make it a lot more likely that you will be a criminal by the very nature of the addiction and the criminal market.

Could you find £500 cash a week legally?

You are right though, statistically it is only a small number of people who are the 'chaotic' users who commit a large chunk of crime.

Yea i agree, but it is a bit annoying when the media say taking meth or cocaine etc..... is going to make you more violent and you are likely to comitt crimes based on the effects it gives you rather than committing crimes to feed the habit.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote:
    Yea i agree, but it is a bit annoying when the media say taking meth or cocaine etc..... is going to make you more violent and you are likely to comitt crimes based on the effects it gives you rather than committing crimes to feed the habit.

Smoking lots of meth or crack could certainly make you more unbalanced (at least in the short term), and this could mean more violence. But unlike some of the media reports about meth especially its not certain to turn you into a murderer.
  • Options
    A lot of our clients are snowballing. Its a good way to get into a mess very quickly.
  • Options
    used to be called goof balls in my day ...smack and coke/speed ...wonderful but very risky.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Its hardly anything new, ITV called it a "new trend" - it's been happening since the 70's.

Mustaine killed himself doing it after all.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Its hardly anything new, ITV called it a "new trend" - it's been happening since the 70's.

Well that's the media, and their 'drugs boogeyman' for you. I did a post years ago, when i had some ROSPA data. In this particular year, more people were killed watering their Christmas tree with the lights on than E did. And more people were hospitalised by tea coseys than E.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Mustaine killed himself doing it after all.
    A lot of people have been victims of speedballs, besides the almighty Dave Mustaine. It's a pretty terrific drug combination.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Well that's the media, and their 'drugs boogeyman' for you. I did a post years ago, when i had some ROSPA data. In this particular year, more people were killed watering their Christmas tree with the lights on than E did. And more people were hospitalised by tea coseys than E.

I doubt that is still the case, deaths and hospitalisations from ecstacy related problems are going up. But thats largely to do with poly-drug use rather than MDMA by itself.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Saying its a trend doesn't mean it hasn't hapenned before, just that it is increasing in popularity again, so its a reasonable thing to say.