Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sheffield Uni...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well i'm about to apply to uni's...And im seriously considering Sheffield...Not hallam because I wasnt to keen on that, but Sheffield, just wondering if anybody goes, or knows anybody that goes, as I didnt get a chance to look at the accomodation or anything! Also looking at Manchester & Manchester Met..Ohhh the decisions!!! Thanks guys xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've got loads of mates at Sheffield. The halls accomodation is as good as anywhere elses, and because there's Hallam too once you get into looking for a house there's loads of student type stuff because of the massive student population. They love it, but then most people love their uni.
  • Options
    ooo thats gud news...! dont suppose you know what hallems like? open day isnt for about a month, and if it's as bigger pile of poo as everyone makes out i might not bother!!
  • Options
    Got a mate that likes it, but have to say that uni is as much about the course as the rest of the uni.

They are such big places they will pretty much all have the facilities you want somewhere. Somewhere that generally is really good may have a rubbish dept/one you don't like for your subject. Likewise, somewhere that people say is 'poo' may have a great course for you.
  • Options
    Very true...i'll have to go hava peek then!!
  • Options
    I'm nominally at Sheffield, but as I'm a research student and live in Harrow, I only go up there once a week at the most, and that's coming back the same day, so I don't really know the city. But certainly the staff in my department (History) are excellent, the library's pretty good, there always seems to be lots of stuff going on in the union. I wish I had a chance to get to know Sheffield properly, to be honest, because from what I've seen it seems a great place.

What are you thinking of studying? As Scary Monster has already said, which is the best for you depends on what you want to do - Sheffield's more academic, but Hallam offers a huge range of computer/media courses etc.
  • Options
    Thanks..I want to study English Language & Linguistics..and going on the grades i need to get in i think it's good for that!!
  • Options
    You need to look at more than just the grades it's asking for. English is a popular course so they can ask for what they like, doesn't mean they will be any good when you get there.

Especially with arts courses you need to ask a lot of questions about how much teaching there is, you'll find some with very very little. Good other questions to ask are what do your graduates go on to do? whats the employment like for your graduates? How many people drop out?

Saying that one of my mates has just graduated from that course having had a fantastic time and is going on to do a law conversion.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Gucci2 wrote:
    ooo thats gud news...! dont suppose you know what hallems like? open day isnt for about a month, and if it's as bigger pile of poo as everyone makes out i might not bother!!

Hallam is a nice, friendly university. Depending on what you are studying, their campus is in the city centre.

I went to Hallam and enjoyed every single minute. Everyone is friendly, helpful and the tutors and resources are all accessible which is what you want.