Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rehab

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I’ve had a massive talk to one of my friends, she has a serous drug problem and she knows it. She knows the only way she canb try and get help is by going into rehab. I want to help as much as possible. Does anyone have any personal experience with rehabs, location of the best ones, cost, length of time, what happens etc?
Any help would so be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I think in Italy there's a doctor that puts the person to sleep for like a month until all the drugs are out of their system, the theory being that their bodies are now physically addicted tot he chemicals so you got to flush them out and when the person wakes up their body is no longer addicted to drugs, then you just work on their minds.
  • Options
    It's a mental addiction, not physical. That is a good theory there though.
  • Options
    Not sure but one of my mates was so bad he checked himself into a nut house recently. Took that many E's he's permantly depressed, sad to see friends go like that.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Hey there VV, have you had a look at the local advice finder? It should tell you what services are in your area for rehab.
  • Options
    Not too sure about in your part of the world vv but alot of it will have to do with her hanging around people who take drugs in front of her, it'll make it even harder for her if she knows her mates are still on them.

Good luck in all of it.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Hey there VV, have you had a look at the local advice finder? It should tell you what services are in your area for rehab.
    Thank you, I shall check it out.

Shogun wrote:
    Not too sure about in your part of the world vv but alot of it will have to do with her hanging around people who take drugs in front of her, it'll make it even harder for her if she knows her mates are still on them.

Good luck in all of it.
    Thank you and yeah, her close circle of friends wouldn't dream of doing it around her and we'll do our best to help her. But some friends we have are dealers, I've told her she needs to delete those numbers and keep away from them.
    Let's see how it goes.
  • Options
    Yea, i wouldn't do drugs around my mate anymore but it's really only a matter of time i think till he does some again, it's his 22nd this weekend and he's going out partying don't know if he'll be doing anything but will just have to wait and see, he's also trying DMT for the first time this weekend.

Anyway good luck in all of it.
  • Options
    If she wants rehab, she has 2 options. Either she pays privately (expensive) or she has a community care assessment to get funding from the local authority.
    What drugs is she using? Rehabs generally require people to be free of drugs on arrival, in which case she may need a detox first. Your best bet is to get in touch with her local drug service. If she hasn't received treatment before, she may have to do have some treatment in the community first (like a day programme) before she will be considered for funding.
    Addaction have a service in Derby, it might be worth giving them a bell.
    http://www.addaction.org.uk/Serviceshome.htm#derb
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If she wants rehab, she has 2 options. Either she pays privately (expensive) or she has a community care assessment to get funding from the local authority.
    What drugs is she using? Rehabs generally require people to be free of drugs on arrival, in which case she may need a detox first. Your best bet is to get in touch with her local drug service. If she hasn't received treatment before, she may have to do have some treatment in the community first (like a day programme) before she will be considered for funding.
    Addaction have a service in Derby, it might be worth giving them a bell.
    http://www.addaction.org.uk/Serviceshome.htm#derb
    Thanks for that, I'll check it out.
    She's taking ketamine. For at least the past 5 years she's has taken it just about every day, it blocks everything out. What it's blocking out, I don't know. She's been bullimic and anorexic but got over that and turned to this instead. Just the other day she did 4 grams to herself in about 3 hours. She takes nearly the whole gram in one line, so you can imagine the vulnerable state she gets in.
    Her parents are willing to help her out with going private, money wise.
    She's had her car taken off her too by her parents, as she had a crash while she was smashed out of her face. She's putting herself and others at so much risk.
  • Options
    She might not need a rehab. A day programme might work and some counselling. If she had an eating disorder before the drug problem, there's some underlying emotional stuff going on there. A community day programme of counselling, relapse prevention etc might work.
  • Options
    Tell her to call Narcotics Anonymous - talk to people who been there and done it and are now clean. Never heard of anything else that works...and Im a drugs worker.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    So is Blagsta. I think in this case it is better to offer a range of options in the first instance, everyone reacts differently to different treatments...
  • Options
    I do think small steps are the first option but I know in my heart of hearts it won't work. Obviously I'm not gona let her know that, she needs all the help she can get.
  • Options
    You could have a chat to Release, I know they helped heavy ket users in the past. www.release.org.uk
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    .... She's been bullimic and anorexic but got over that and turned to this instead.

Well one interesting I heard on a documentary was getting over food related problems can be harder then drugs cos unlike like problems related to drugs or alcohol, you can't avoid food.

So if she managed to win over her food related problems then maybe this is a good sign?
  • Options
    Tell her to call Narcotics Anonymous - talk to people who been there and done it and are now clean. Never heard of anything else that works...and Im a drugs worker.

NA works for some people, not for others. Some people find the 12 step thing more of a hindrance than a help. Horses for courses innit.
  • Options
    look up dr robert lefever ...he has a clinic in london and his main one in kent ...called promis.
    it is based around the twelve step prog.
    as blag says ...the twelve steps na aa thing isn't for everyone ...it certainly wasn't for me ...it seemed to be going from one extreme to another.
    the extremes being drug abuse to total abstinence.
    if i had followed the twelve sterp malarky as a heroin addict i would never again be able to take codiene or night nurse ...thats what i call extreme.
    promis will cost around two grand a week but bupa covers it in some cases.
    eight weeks long ....group therapy etc.
    worked wonders for me but ...na meetings in church halls was enough to make me wanna get stoned.
    i went from a huge ammount of heroin and amphet over many yeafrs to ...a weed and a drink and my lifes pretty good thankyou.
    the rehab did me good ...gave me time out to look deeply into myself and attitudes.
    na and aa do wiork for many people.