Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Squad Numbers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Is it me, or are they becoming a joke now?

Gallas = 10
Chelsea right back (whose name I forget) = 9, I believe

I mean, wtf?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Isn't one of the Villareal players number 99? I couldn't care less really. Do you still pay for individual numbers and letters now? I know when you order online you can get anything you want for a set price. I feel sorry for parents of Celtic fans. Vennegoor of Hesselink? What number is he?
    I think we were the first team in the world to use the number 0, because a couple of seasons ago we had a player called Hicham Zerouali.

We've also retired the number 12 and given it to the fans, so every home game we've to help hold this gigantic polythetic shirt above our heads with The Red Army, and a big number 12 on it.

Cringeworthy doesn't cover it.
    99 I can understand, for a forward. 10 though, for a (face it Gallas) left back? That number always used to be for a creativ eplayer, or striker.

Another of footballs traditions goes out the window.
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Cringeworthy doesn't cover it.
    Almost as good as your two World Cup stars, eh? We retired the number 23 shirt after Foe died.
    we retired the 11 shirt shirt because Jimmy Davis died.

It was only for a season though, although bad luck dooms on anyone with the 11 shirt at watford.

2003 - Andy Ferrerll - decent prospect from newcastle, hardly got a match all season.
    2004 - Junior - wore it in pre season friendlies, didnt sign as i he had a dogey passport.
    2004 - Sietes some weird spanish guy that never played.

i wonder whose next
    It's a shame.
    I wish we could see an old No5 libero like Barezzi or Nadal...
    And the "magic" No10's like Savicevic from AC Milan

Ah well, can't bring back the past.
    Squad numbers have always been a joke. Some clubs (Charlton were one) just had the squad in alphabetical order.

Then again, when we were in the 1st dvision before squad numbers our central midfielder carried 10 and our striker carried 8. And some clubs seem to think number 4 is a central defender's number.
    Isn't one of the Villareal players number 99? I couldn't care less really. Do you still pay for individual numbers and letters now? I know when you order online you can get anything you want for a set price. I feel sorry for parents of Celtic fans. Vennegoor of Hesselink? What number is he?

At JJB, you pay a certain amount for the actual name & number. It's more if it's a personal name than it is for a name that actually plays for a team
    I think the number 10 should always be reserved for one of your special players. It's got a fine history, worn by Maradona, Pele, Platini etc.

The 7 shirt is probably more coveted than 10 at United though, dating back to when George Best wore it. And of course there's been Cantona and Beckham too. I think Ronaldo is a worthy heir.

I don't like how Chelsea have given the 9 shirt to Boularouhz. It just doesn't look right and would confuse me if I was foreign and didn't know the team too well. I really don't see the point.
    Obsolete_311217h.jpg

I wonder if you can get the lettering in rainbow colours.
    Addict wrote:
    I think Ronaldo is a worthy heir.
    For skill yes, but not while he's still a cheating charver.
    Haven't actually seen him this season, has his diving antics n cheating stopped since the world cup??
    Haven't actually seen him this season, has his diving antics n cheating stopped since the world cup??

no not really, not from what ive seen of him in the prem/

also i would never put ronaldo in the same bracket as Best, Beckham and Cantona, not yet anyway
    For skill yes, but not while he's still a cheating charver.

If Best was in the modern game you'd all be slinging muck at him as well though. Skillful wingers are always prone to the diver tag.

And yes, he hasn't been diving or cheating for us (don't know what Olaola's on about). It does seem to be something he's more liable to do when he plays under Scolari as opposed to Fergie. He's been one of our outstanding players as well, behind the renaissance Ryan Giggs of course. Most fans get bored of booing Ronaldo after about 50 or 60 minutes. On evidence it actually makes him play better though so I don't know why they bother.

olaola wrote:
    also i would never put ronaldo in the same bracket as Best, Beckham and Cantona, not yet anyway

Of course not, he's only 21 after all. But he's a worthy heir of the shirt all the same.
    There was a guy who played for Inter Milan a few years back whos squad number was 1+1 instead of 11, as a tribute to someone. Scored at Old Trafford in the Champions League if I remember right. Answers on a postcard.
    Addict wrote:
    Of course not, he's only 21 after all. But he's a worthy heir of the shirt all the same.
    Will you still be saying that when he asks for a transfer to Real Madrid next summer? ;)
    Will you still be saying that when he asks for a transfer to Real Madrid next summer? ;)

We'll see, I don't know why he'd want to take a step down just yet though. Madrid is where our players go when they're past their best. ;)
    so the same player always wears the same number? or only within that team (coz they do switch around don't they?) and respected retired/dead players numbers are sacred within the team or within the nation? can you tell I haven't got a clue what you're whitering on about? lol
    The club assigns a squad number, and a player will often have a different number depending on which club he's at. If he's playing for his country he will usually have a different number.

Some players insist on having a certain number, for whatever reason, but most don't really care. Roy Keane always wanted #16, for instance.

Certain numbers are sacred in a country- Argentina wanted to retire the #10 shirt after Maradona, and AFAIK now give it to the third-choice keeper because FIFA wouldn't let them.
    All first choice goalkeepers seem to be #1. I think my dad said this was to do with formations?
    There was a guy who played for Inter Milan a few years back whos squad number was 1+1 instead of 11, as a tribute to someone. Scored at Old Trafford in the Champions League if I remember right. Answers on a postcard.

Think it was Zamorano, he wanted 9 but ronaldo had it so he sulked and did 8+1 lol.

both class players though :D
    Sofie wrote:
    All first choice goalkeepers seem to be #1. I think my dad said this was to do with formations?

Kind of.

Traditionally in a 4-4-2, the formation is a bit like this:

2, 5, 6, 3
    7, 4, 8, 11
    9, 10

Some clubs had their own variants, and some players always insist on certain numbers. Henry is following on from Cruyff with playing as 14, for instance.

With big squads it doesn't tend to follow so much now. Pepe Reyna plays as 25, for instance.