Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jealous, has a point or just lacks a sense of humour?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Okay, here's the background to this.
There's a group on Facebook for medical students like me. In the 'description' section it reads like this.

We've got it tough - long course, more debt than everyone else after graduation. Yet we seem to have a lot more fun than most other students...

Medics are a very cliquey group, so I thought I'd try and go international with the cliqueyness. Whether you are from Australia, the States, UK, India or anywhere else - congrats on your ambition and all the best for the future!

One day, someone posted this on the wall for the group.

I join this group for the sole purpose of being able to write its wall to criticise its description above.

Before I continue can I just say I was a medic for a year before I dropped out and changed to another course, but I held the same views on this even while I was a medical student. Also, the following mainly applies to UK.

You don't have it much tougher than anyone else wishing to become a successful professional in any field. The only difference is that you have a long course at a single place of education. Law students for example have to do the Legal Practice Course for a year before being allowed to practice. And people wishing to be chartered accountants have no shortage of post university exams either.

"Yet we seem to have a lot more fun than most other students..."
This is plainly balls. Get over yourself.

In summary, stop feeling so sorry for yourselves and get rid of the superiority complex. Those things are dangerous for people who are going to be doctors.

The end.

So - based on what he said... do you think that he is secretly upset because he had to drop out of medicine and hopes that this will help him feel less angry, do you think he's just lost his sense of humour... or do you think he has a point?!?

It doesn't matter in the slightest - just interested in some opinions!

Cheers
Chris
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He clearly has a point regarding the professional exams. Who can say if he has a point regarding how much fun medical students have compared to others?
    In some fields we might have similar levels of professional exams - however few professions require 5/6 years at university just to even be allowed to call yourself qualified... another year before you're allowed to practise without supervision, then a further year of general training... then five to seven years of speciality training before you're a fully-fledged trained professional!
    in some ways he has a point. i lived with 8 medics for 4 years and i love them to bits. they do study incredibly hard though mainly from the 4th year onwards. they would be in placement from 9-5 then come home and then study until bedtime. i knew lots of medic students and they did go out but not as much as the other students. me and my mates would still go out during the week and then at the weekend even in final year but my medic friends would go out just once a week. im not sure how hard they work compared to accounting or law students though.
    i think he has a point. What about architecture? 7 years. And is speciality training necessary?
    I was gonna mention architecture. But to be honest, they can all go and fuck themselves. I want to train to be a director of photography. I'll be training for the next 20 years. :grump:
    He does have a point. Yeah, becoming a doctor is hard. But it bloody should be, titting about with people's lives and whatnot.

And ongoing training is pretty standard across the board, career wise. You never really stop learning.
    kaffrin wrote:
    titting about with people's lives and whatnot.

Who last titted about with your whatnot then ;)
    I also think he has a point, fair enough it's a long, intense course but it's not the only one. And like kaffrin said, too damn right it should be a long, intense course given the amount of responsibiity you have when you're qualified.

I certainly don't think he sounds bitter or angry or upset. I don't see where he said he 'had' to drop out of medicine, either.
    i think he's got a point whoever wrote what he retorted to sounds well up their own arse.
    incidently- has anyone read 'bodies' by Jed Mercurio? I DARE you to read this book and still become a medical student; it scared the shit out of me and I don't ever want to do medicine. It's written by an ex-doctor so he knows his shit.

Breif review:
    http://www.popmatters.com/books/reviews/b/bodies.shtml
    The thing that annoyed me the most was the last bit...

In summary, stop feeling so sorry for yourselves and get rid of the superiority complex. Those things are dangerous for people who are going to be doctors.

Anyone else noticed how it's always people who aren't in the medical profession who go around preaching about what medical students should and shouldn't be like???
    dr_carter wrote:
    Anyone else noticed how it's always people who aren't in the medical profession who go around preaching about what medical students should and shouldn't be like???
    No, not really.
    Think that might just be you.
    How charming.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Who last titted about with your whatnot then ;)

There are doctors in Leeds who have seen parts of me I haven't seen. :o
    kaffrin wrote:
    There are doctors in Leeds who have seen parts of me I haven't seen. :o
    Doctors or "doctors"?
    Doctors or "doctors"?

Real, qualified, ex-medical student (who work 86 times as hard as anyone else and have 49 times more fun) doctors.
    dr_carter wrote:

Ever noticed how doctors believe that they would make better managers/nurses/porters etc?

He is spot on, lose the arrogance and superiority complex now and you will actually be a much better doctor.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Okay, here's the background to this.
    There's a group on Facebook for medical students like me. In the 'description' section it reads like this.

We've got it tough - long course, more debt than everyone else after graduation. Yet we seem to have a lot more fun than most other students...

Long Course =yes
    more debt = yes
    more fun = assumption
    a bigger salary = absolutely.
    I join this group for the sole purpose of being able to write its wall to criticise its description above.

oookk... :rolleyes:
    You don't have it much tougher than anyone else wishing to become a successful professional in any field. The only difference is that you have a long course at a single place of education. Law students for example have to do the Legal Practice Course for a year before being allowed to practice. And people wishing to be chartered accountants have no shortage of post university exams either.

Actually, there are so many courses that are much easier and require much less studying than medical school or law school for instance. Medical school is hard. You try learning the latin name of all 206 bones in a human body. and the rest...
    However, people who go for medical schools do so for the love of being a doctor and in view of helping people and with the knowledge that it's gonna be a hard time and a long course. The ones who complain about it do so just to wind people up in my view.

Having a God complex is part of being a successful doctor. Their confidence needs to be up there because they are dealing with a human life.

So, I think this guy is just feeling a bit left out...
    rachie004 wrote:
    can I have your next baby? :heart:

You'll have to be quick, I have an appointment at marie Stopes soon ;)

Of course, we could just stick to the sex part :naughty:
    migpilot wrote:
    Having a God complex is part of being a successful doctor. Their confidence needs to be up there because they are dealing with a human life.

Pscht.

Having confidence is important. having a God complex will either be drummed out of them by their first decent Ward Sister or their first error which kills/injures a patient. I always hope that the former happens first.

i've met and worked with hundreds of doctors. The best ones are those with humilty, who see the patient as a human being with a life/worries and responsibilities rather than yet another medical condition to treat. These are the doctors who rings the patient/family in the evening just because they are concerned, who treat every patients as a friend (whilst maintaining professional boundaries), who don't refer to patients by their first name, who treat nurses and other health professionals as precisely that - professionals - and who appreciate that they are just another part of the huge service we call Health.

Those who think that they are Gods, should move to Waco.
    i've met and worked with hundreds of doctors. The best ones are those with humilty,
    I think that goes for people in general. People like confidence, but they hate arrogance, which often comes with it. That goes for any walk of life to be honest. That's why everyone prefers Rafa Benitez to Jose Mourinho.
    Pscht.

Having confidence is important. having a God complex will either be drummed out of them by their first decent Ward Sister or their first error which kills/injures a patient. I always hope that the former happens first.

i've met and worked with hundreds of doctors. The best ones are those with humilty, who see the patient as a human being with a life/worries and responsibilities rather than yet another medical condition to treat. These are the doctors who rings the patient/family in the evening just because they are concerned, who treat every patients as a friend (whilst maintaining professional boundaries), who don't refer to patients by their first name, who treat nurses and other health professionals as precisely that - professionals - and who appreciate that they are just another part of the huge service we call Health.

Those who think that they are Gods, should move to Waco.

Agreed.
    However, having the right balance between a God complex and humility is ok.
    Guess I am talking more about surgeons than practitioners....

I am very humble but also very confident/arrogant when it comes to things I know.
    Has a point, though obviously it doesn't apply across the board.
    briggi wrote:
    Has a point, though obviously it doesn't apply across the board.

Couldn't be bothered to write a longer reply? ;)
    migpilot wrote:
    Couldn't be bothered to write a longer reply? ;)

Shurrup! It's late... and that was the jist of it :p
    briggi wrote:
    Shurrup! It's late... and that was the jist of it :p

No, I think you were just ..... lazy. :p

*runs for his life
    Really, I could write a tirade against medical students* - and their sense of entitlement and being somehow misunderstood - as long as any epic novel you might ever care to read. But it's just pointless, because I am only professionally trained to lick their boots and hope one day that one of them might want to marry me. I have also just had a cup of Ovaltine and will probably fall asleep on the keyboard in the very near future.

*generalising, of course ;)
    briggi wrote:
    Really, I could write a tirade against medical students* - and their sense of entitlement and being somehow misunderstood - as long as any epic novel you might ever care to read. But it's just pointless, because I am only professionally trained to lick their boots and hope one day that one of them might want to marry me. I have also just had a cup of Ovaltine and will probably fall asleep on the keyboard in the very near future.

*generalising, of course ;)

The bit I underlined is very interesting....care to elaborate at some point?
    hehe
    Ah, ignore it. It's just the colossal chip I have on my shoulder [with regard to the odd medical student] after three years training to be a nurse.

Fun times, I tell thee! ;)