Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

annoying customers

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kate1 wrote:
    I always apologise when I haven't got any change too!

The thing that annoys me about change is when you can see they have got enough, they just won't hand it over. I often ask people if they have any change even if we're not short, and you'd be amazed how many actually have a decent amount of change once they start looking for it :yes:

Sometimes theres a reason though. I'll never give away my last £1.20 in change because its my bus fare home, or to work the next day. Even if I'm buying something small. Because bus drivers round here sure won't take a note.
  • Options
    Sometimes theres a reason though. I'll never give away my last £1.20 in change because its my bus fare home, or to work the next day. Even if I'm buying something small. Because bus drivers round here sure won't take a note.
    I think it's the same everywhere. Give a bus driver anything larger than a fiver, and your name will be written down in the Little Black Book Of Bad People That Should Burn In Hell booklet that every bus driver secretly keeps. That, and you get a very ugly look of contempt on their faces.
  • Options
    When i worked in an off license we were forever running out of change, and fivers, basically because our head offcie were prats and thought that a shop that has a turn over of £3,000 a day can cope with a £150 float with a cash point next door ! This guy, of all things a copper, came in and asked for 5 Hamlet, i had to give him £7.50 or so in coinnage and he called me a c**t for doing so as we had no fivers !!! But like i always say, there are ways and means off getting back at people. There was a small lip round the edge of the counter so you couldn't scoop all the coins into your hand, you had to pick 'em up one by one. The following Friday when he came in, he paid with a tenner for his 5 Hamlet, so i gave him his change in coins, with the highest denomination being 20p. Slammed them all on the counter then went into the back office, closing the door behind me, and me and Deb wet ousrselves laughing watching him on the CCTV monitor as he fumed and swore and picked his change up
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Give a bus driver anything larger than a fiver

At least you get change. Here the drivers don't carry change, it all goes into a tamper proof machine. So say your fare is £1.10p and you've only got 2 £1 coins, you lose the 90p or walk.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    When i worked in an off license we were forever running out of change, and fivers, basically because our head offcie were prats and thought that a shop that has a turn over of £3,000 a day can cope with a £150 float with a cash point next door!
    You think that's bad? Our shop took about £5000 a day. One till would have £3000, the other two grand was in the other till. We somehow have to run the tills on a £100 float each, (which sometimes has no notes in it at all when it goes on in the morning) with a cash machine within metres of the tills. Some days we ran out of £10 and £5 notes entirely. Never again do I want to see the face of someone who's just received £18.85 change consisting solely of coinage!
  • Options
    Note to all:

Customers who complain at me when their special order food is not ready within 2 seconds, especially when we're busy, are the devil. Because it is CLEARLY my fault that your Big Mac extra cheese, no pickles isn't ready yet when the kitchen has to cook about 5billion a day to keep the production bin stocked up. And the ones that complain at me when we don't have stuff, and when the milkshake machine is broken (which is FREQUENT - we have customers that come in and ask if it's working like, all the time). It's like, IT'S HARDLY MY FAULT.

And what REALLY fucks me off is the ones that cancel a £20 order because of the fact that the milkshake isn't working. AND the ones that ask AFTER they've placed their order if we accept cards (which we don't), and then have to cancel the whole thing. It takes so much time to cancel the entire order, cause we can't have an order of nothing, so you have to like...put a sauce on...and delete the rest of it, with a swipey card that doesn't always work. It's annoying when there's a big queue in front of you as well.

AND the people that see the person in front of them walk off WITHOUT FOOD (which means they are coming back) and start ordering, then mouth off at me when I say that I still have an order to complete. Like, be fucking patient you cunts.

ETA: when people give me a £50 for a 99p burger. Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Why the hell do McDonalds not take cards? How behind the times is that? Anyway, I've boycotted them since the time where I spent half an hour of my lunch break trying to get my order right, and had to go back four times because the retard working there had cocked something up (I'd only bought four individual things, not even meals). Went back the last time and they said it'd be another ten minutes to cook the right thing. Yeah, fuck off, I'm getting my money back and going to KFC.
  • Options
    Why do customers feel the need to seemingly hold YOU personally responsible for something that, clearly, wasnt your fault ? .. I can't fathom it nor the thinking/logic behind that one.
  • Options
    Maybe people are paying with the large cash for small items so they can get change. I often do that for the soul purpose. Buy a bottle of water or pack of gum with a 20 just so I can have change.

Its hardly the end of the world. I didn't even think twice about it when I worked at a register.

Same with the debit/credit card for small purchases. Its less work for you, so why the fuck complain about it.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    Why do customers feel the need to seemingly hold YOU personally responsible for something that, clearly, wasnt your fault ? .. I can't fathom it nor the thinking/logic behind that one.

god that annoys me too.

it's like if we haven't got the bread they like in then it's MY fault.

they also seem to expect that i know everything about everything we sell in the shop and everything about all the departments.
  • Options
    they also seem to expect that i know everything about everything we sell in the shop and everything about all the departments.
    Though I do hate people who are supposed to be sales advisors and still know nothing about any products. A certain Indian dish and another certain astronomical feature are famous for this.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Maybe people are paying with the large cash for small items so they can get change. I often do that for the soul purpose.
    Hm, I don't think that's what they meant in church when they told you that "change" is good for your soul. :p
  • Options

it's just the same as someone paying for a newspaper with their debit/credit card.

makes no difference.
    Like was pointed out, it's a big problem if shops are to let people pay for papers on there cards, but my rant here is people that assume they can pay for chewing gum or whatever on their card and when I say 'it's a £2 minimum' they're like 'what a rip off' or 'i'll take my business elsewhere then'. Good! We don't want your flippin business if you want to take more money out the shop than you're giving us.
    And good luck to the woman who wanted a cup a soup finding anywhere on the road that'll let her buy it on her card, all the other convienience stores have £5 minimums.
    A £2 min is nothing when some places make you spend £5 AND charge you 50p for the priviledge.
  • Options
    Bus drivers always whinge.

Pay the fare with a fiver or a tenner and they look like they want to murder you, and pay the far witrh 5ps and they look like they want to murder you.

The fact that I think 97.5% of all bus drivers are genetically inferior to the dog muck I side-stepped on the footpath this morning doesn't help, of course.
  • Options
    I've never had a problem with bus drivers. But then I always have the right change and enjoy complimenting them on their jumpers and haircuts to throw them off their grumpiness.

Changing the subject slightly to annoying shop workers, I was ID'd today for the millionth time... but with a difference. Went in to our dingy local shop, picked up my milk and then asked for one of those big boxes of cooking matches. Has anyone else EVER been ID'd buying matches?

FFS :shocking: Obviously I look like a pyromaniac (and no, I didn't have ID :lol:)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    Bus drivers always whinge.

Pay the fare with a fiver or a tenner and they look like they want to murder you, and pay the far witrh 5ps and they look like they want to murder you.

The fact that I think 97.5% of all bus drivers are genetically inferior to the dog muck I side-stepped on the footpath this morning doesn't help, of course.
    To be fair most the bus drivers our end are actually alright.

Just not the ones that scrutinise your bus pass for about 30 mins...
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Changing the subject slightly to annoying shop workers, I was ID'd today for the millionth time... but with a difference. Went in to our dingy local shop, picked up my milk and then asked for one of those big boxes of cooking matches. Has anyone else EVER been ID'd buying matches?
    No, but I've asked countless people who wanted to buy them for ID. I was instructed to do this.
    it's like if we haven't got the bread they like in then it's MY fault. they also seem to expect that i know everything about everything we sell in the shop and everything about all the departments.
    Tell me about it. I was meant to know the exact dates and times of every single delivery that was due at the shop, if you believe the customers. I was personally responsible if the breads didn't all have a good date on them, if you believe the customers. I should have been given a blindfold and shot at dawn if we didn't have the exact variety of milk they were looking for available, if you believe the customers.

It's at moments like these I'm glad I've left the job!
  • Options
    the most annoying thing is asking the customer for payment, or their loyalty card, holding your hand out and them placing it on the desk. then they give you dirty looks when everything you give back (change, cards etc) is placed on the desk.

and also when you greet them saying hello and they ignore you, tossers.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No, but I've asked countless people who wanted to buy them for ID. I was instructed to do this.

Hm, I suppose I'd have felt differently (maybe) if the bloke in question hadn't seen me every day for the past three months. I'm pretty sure he was just being bloody awkward.

I would've usually had enough ID on me to send him to his grave happy, but that's what I get for going to the shops in my pyjama bottoms eh :chin:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Hm, I suppose I'd have felt differently (maybe) if the bloke in question hadn't seen me every day for the past three months. I'm pretty sure he was just being bloody awkward.
    Either that, or simply having a bad day. I used to get days when I just asked nearly everybody for ID, non-stop. When you're asking a lot of people each day, it can sometimes make you a bit jumpy, and it does sometimes mean I'd end up asking people whom I didn't ask previously.

You must be at least 16 to buy matches, (as far as I remember) and no offence Briggi, but you certainly look older than 16. :p
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You must be at least 16 to buy matches, (as far as I remember) and no offence Briggi, but you certainly look older than 16. :p

Wrong. No minimum legal age applies, unless they can be defined as 'novelty' matches...
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Wrong. No minimum legal age applies, unless they can be defined as 'novelty' matches...
    What are novelty matches?
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Has anyone else EVER been ID'd buying matches?

FFS :shocking: Obviously I look like a pyromaniac (and no, I didn't have ID :lol:)

:eek2: There isn't an age limit on matches! (AFAIK :p)
  • Options

:lol:

You'd better believe I'm going to get off my lazy arse [in a minute :p] and march round there. The bugger!
  • Options
    There is on lighters, but that's because of the lighter fuel, rather than their fire making ability :p

Go and shout at him a bit. In your pyjama bottoms :yes:

:D
  • Options

At asda it comes up with a promt which was 16 now 18.
  • Options
    Ooh does it? Co-op doesn't age check them.

Is Asda going off on it's own age checking thingy, what with raising the tobacco age limit to 18 etc?
  • Options
    Ooh does it? Co-op doesn't age check them.

Is Asda going off on it's own age checking thingy, what with raising the tobacco age limit to 18 etc?
    Yeah!! I cant see how they have the cheek to tell you the truth, since when did Asda make the law?

I had an argument with one of their staff a little while ago who said 'Thats not you in your driving license picture' and refused to serve me. Fucking bitch. I called her manager who made her apologise though.
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I had an argument with one of their staff a little while ago who said 'Thats not you in your driving license picture' and refused to serve me. Fucking bitch. I called her manager who made her apologise though.
    But was it you in the picture? I was taught "if in doubt, refuse the sale". The manager in question sounds like a spineless coward. I would never apologise for anything like that.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    But was it you in the picture? I was taught "if in doubt, refuse the sale". The manager in question sounds like a spineless coward. I would never apologise for anything like that.
    Yes of course it was me you fuckwit, otherwise I wouldnt have moaned. The woman was just being a jobsworth.