Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feminist mouths off Steve Irwin.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    "Germaine Greer is a pathetic, shallow woman
    Greer is far more famous for her name than anything else
    Why does anyone take Greer seriously?
    a scraggly old feminist cunt
    Shes a whiney old bag anyway, I can't say I've ever been fond of her.
    She's a sad, desperate old hack
    a rent a quote hack
    Stupid Bitch
    She might talk nonsense most of the time
    I speak as someone who cannot stand Greer"

All quotes from this thread - none attributable to either you or HIT.

And the only quotes attributable to people involved in feminism are tied up with a defence of her bigotted comments, such as claiming they're either true or need to be put in context.

As for what yerascrote and others have said...completely irrelevent to how the feministas on here avoided the points i've raised.

Very poor try Mok, very poor indeed.
    NQA wrote:
    And some of them are mine too :thumb:

Yeah, alongside claims it's all just "hyperbole". :rolleyes:
    Lifeless wrote:
    I love the way you picked the most insignificant thing in the link and ignored the more serious ones.

Still waiting for you to come up with some, as you made the comment in the first place...
    Lifeless wrote:
    I love the way you picked the most insignificant thing in the link and ignored the more serious ones.

Because I've no sympathy with the views of either the neanderthal element, where's women should only be allowed to express opinions on what the better cake mix or the big girls blouse element, who sit there whimpering about how these nasty women get all the good things and us men are poor downtrodden things beneath their high heels.

Frankly the UK's Men Movement have smaller balls than most women I know.
    Spliffie, you haven't raised any points worth mentioning.

I don't like Greer, but when you actually read her Guardian article, she doesn't say what you are trying to imply she says. You're supposedly doing a degree, surely you're intelligent enough to read a whole newspaper opinion piece without falling asleep?
    Kermit wrote:
    Spliffie, you haven't raised any points worth mentioning.

I don't like Greer, but when you actually read her Guardian article, she doesn't say what you are trying to imply she says. You're supposedly doing a degree, surely you're intelligent enough to read a whole newspaper opinion piece without falling asleep?

Errr...I have read the article (which is utterly moronic), commented on the context, and have no need to imply anything.

That's something even you might manage to realise if you spent less time projecting your own intellectual inadequacies onto me and praticed what you preached.

That would be a big step for you Kermit, but keep on trying.
    I'm quite willing to be proven wrong but as far as I'm aware, humans are the only species that try and annihilate each other for no real purpose. That would make them freaks of nature in my book - it goes against every kind of survival instinct to wipe out your own race. And again, I'm quite willing to be proven wrong but I'd bet that 9 out of 10 acts of aggression are perpetrated by men, not women.

And humans are the only species that ever managed to build civilisations, sky scrapers etc etc. And I bet that 9 out of 10 of these engineers and pioneers have been men. Does that make them freaks of nature? Humans are so far distant from nature itself that those arguments can't be used. She means something different when she says "freaks of nature."
    Well, you are going to hate me for saying this but that is probably because women have never been empowered to design or build skyscrapers before, and still are not encouraged into traditionally masculine employment even now.

Why would I hate you? Today, most women don't go into construction because they simply aren't as physically strong as men. It's nothing to do with discrimination, it's simple biology.

I don't think it's fair to call men freaks of nature because we've been involved in so many wars. Even in nature, male species will fight each other males for the right to mate with females. They're very territorial like us, if someone invades their space they'll let them know all about it. Bit like countries here invading others. I'm sure other animals would kill each other but unfortunately they simply don't have the human mind to build guns and bombs. She's being a misandrist by calling us freaks of nature, sure she may be an icon and have some excellent work but it's things like that that sort of make you question her credibility.

I'm quite willing to be proven wrong but as far as I'm aware, humans are the only species that try and annihilate each other for no real purpose.

All animals fight amongst each other.
    Cats play with mice - that could be construed as torture. Human's always have a reason for killing - whether it makes sense to you or not. Even psycho serial killers have their own reasons.
    Sure they do. Animals fight for a specific reason usually. I've had cats trying to rip me apart to get at each other because one of them has nicked the other's food. I've never had a cat that tortured another cat for no reason. I've never had a cat that committed genocide. And so on.

I've already said the human mind is vastly different from anything else in nature. If you're going to say men are freaks of nature then you might aswell add women.
    Turlough, why are there so few women in traditional male roles?

I've mentioned one, also social attitudes towards some jobs make women shy away from them. Same with men, there are fuck all male nurses or nanny's.
    Well, you are going to hate me for saying this but that is probably because women have never been empowered to design or build skyscrapers before, and still are not encouraged into traditionally masculine employment even now.

Thats trying to have it both ways isnt it? Women havnt built skyscrapers because theyve never been in a position of power to do it but they havnt started wars because if they were in a position of power they wouldnt do that and the world would be nice.

Every woman leader England/Britian has ever had has lead us into war.
    You think women are less suseptable to do bad things, its a bit easy to say its all men who do torture genocide etc women are better then that. What about Rowanda I think a lot of women were involved in genocide there, slavery if you read some of the slave naratives youl see that some women were very fond of the whip. In North Korea they have female "concentration camps" and the inmates are tortured continously. Not to mention that all the cases where its happened women would have supported the regeme.
    I've never had a cat that tortured another cat for no reason.

have you never seen a dog that captures a rabbit or bird to play about with for fun?
    I've seen three dolphins commit gang rape on another one (not personally, on TV). And groups of chimps have been shown in all out war with each other. All animals do it, it's just that the more intelligent one's do it on a bigger and more organised scale.
    Whoopee for them.

But hang on, what does this actually have to do with anything relating to the original topic? I'm loathe to admit it, but I'm very confused as to the point we're debating now.
    Aww for fucks sake, this thread hasn't had anything to do with the main topic since the first page.
    Gang rape among dolphins is pretty estranged from the original topic (and even the topic that developed as a tangent) don't you think? :p
    Well not really. GWST said that animals don't commit violent acts against each other without reason. People gave examples.

ETA: Though God knows how we got to that. I can't be arsed reading back tbh.
    Even if there is a valid point related to Germaine Greer in here somewhere (I would make a guess that it's to do with her "freaks of nature" assertion), I really don't think I want to start debating dolphin gang rape and chimp warfare so I might just duck out of this now!

But yeah, GWST, I couldn't believe the "most of my friends are" line came up, either. I literally had to double-check to confirm I wasn't seeing things.
    Spliffie's argument is basically that Greer is a big nasty man-hating bigot, and anyone who doesn't immediately call for something nasty to happen to her because of three deliberately controversial words taken out of context from a newspaper opinion piece is a big nasty man-hating bigot who should have something nasty happen to them.

He also argues that HIT couldn't possibly have anything against the "cult" of feminism, and all the "bitches" that follow it, because feminism is just a word. A word that he too thinks means "big nasty man-hating bigot", of course.

But that's OK because some of his best friends are women :lol:
    Kermit wrote:
    Spliffie's argument is basically that Greer is a big nasty man-hating bigot, and anyone who doesn't immediately call for something nasty to happen to her because of three deliberately controversial words taken out of context from a newspaper opinion piece is a big nasty man-hating bigot who should have something nasty happen to them.

He also argues that HIT couldn't possibly have anything against the "cult" of feminism, and all the "bitches" that follow it, because feminism is just a word. A word that he too thinks means "big nasty man-hating bigot", of course.

Aha now this is a nice piece of hyperbole. One of Kermit's specialties.
    There's nothing hyperbolic about it.

I think I have fairly represented what Spliffie's argument was. I'm sure he'll be along to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Kermit wrote:
    big nasty man-hating bigot
    immediately
    call for something nasty to happen to her
    is a big nasty man-hating bigot who should have something nasty happen to them.
    word that he too thinks means "big nasty man-hating bigot", of course.

Eh?
    It isn't me who started foaming at the mouth about Greer and then started comparing any man who calls himself a feminist to the KKK.

So what on earth is your point, chuck?

Fun as this is, I have work tomorrow. Goodnight :wave:
    Ah, the old "h" word. I'd missed it.

Spliffie's POV should show anyone who has thoughts similar to Jazza's why it is so imperative that feminists continue to be vocal and active on their own behalf and on the behalf of their sex. I'd go on but I really can't be arsed, it's the same oul' thing everytime and I'm not in a position to start getting worked up over debates stemming from Steve Irwin. I don't think any of us who have ever been involved in this weird, strangely pointless combative debate about feminism are ever going to change our minds. I'd say I'm done wasting my breath on it, but then I don't really want to have to eat my words. So I won't.

Also, "feministas" always makes me LOL.
    Kermit wrote:
    It isn't me who started foaming at the mouth about Greer and then started comparing any man who calls himself a feminist to the KKK.

So what on earth is your point, chuck?

Fun as this is, I have work tomorrow. Goodnight :wave:

I didn't make a point.

Óiche mhaith.
    Jazza wrote:
    I think that feminists are unneccessary nowadays. Sure, a lot of repression might still be going on but not in the "you should stay in the kitchen where you belong BITCH!" sort of way.
    You have a real perspective problem imo Jazza. Have a look around the globe and then see if you can still come up with that statement.