Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Now that I am 18...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do I have to pay? I mean stuff like Council Tax etc. I'm (or will be) a student at Uni so if I'm exempt how do I go about it? Also, since I am/will be a student, what do I have to pay?

Could I also ask what I should maybe do now with regards to the future (money-wise)

Cheers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you living in halls are rented accomadtion? Halls normally include the concuil tax as part of the rent. Is your renting once you start your course you need to contact the coucil and ask for a reduction application. You will need proof that your studying and the reduction will depend on how many student/non-students there are in the property.
    If you're in full time education nothing much changes really when you get to 18. As a student, you are exempt from council tax anyway.

To be honest in halls or shared-occupancy houses the owner normally deals with the council tax.
    I'm staying at home so halls don't apply to me but who is right? Am I exempt from it all together or do I get a reduction?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You would get a reduction.

Nothing would really change. You need to get in touch with the council to explain that you are a student and instead of exemption for being under 18 you would get exemption for being a student. It is the rest of your household who are taxed.
    You would get a reduction.

Nothing would really change. You need to get in touch with the council to explain that you are a student and instead of exemption for being under 18 you would get exemption for being a student. It is the rest of your household who are taxed.

That's a bit of a muddled explanation.

Council tax is charged on the property not the occupants (with discounts in certain cases).

Assuming theres 2 or more other adults (parents/siblings) in the household nothing would change and he wouldn't need to do anything.

Presumably he'd only need an exemption certificate if the household had one previously, if that makes sense.

Regardless, if the house is owned by his parents it's their problem not his.

As for other stuff, Jazza:

If you need prescriptions for anything you'd have to look into getting an exemption cerificate but you don't need to do this until you're about to turn 19.

Money-wise you definitely need a bank account in your own name for student loan purposes - if you already have one look into whether you can upgrade it to a student account and/or shop around to see if there's any better deals on offer for you.
    Students are "non persons". What a fantastic concept :p
    Thanks guys!

Oh, and i didn't know about the prescriptions!