Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rising above the gossip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any tips? Sadly there's some pretty nasty gossip going round my place of work about me, and I know it's part of office life so am not sure whether to raise an official complaint. Strange, because we all seemed to get on so well... so any tips for just rising above the gossip rather than reacting to it would be helpful.

MAC.

Comments

• Options
    It really depends on the nature of the gossip and how bad it affects you. For example, if someone is suggesting that you are stealing from work, then your manager needs to know.

It could be a case of finding the person who's spreading it and having a quiet word, to talking to your manager about it, to getting an official complaint raised.
  • Options
    Sorry, I should have provided some more information. Essentially there's a falling out between me + this other person as we were rude to one another. I apologised to my boss and the person in question because it's unprofessional etc. There was no apology in return, but that's not biggie. Then the gossip starts - it's mainly name calling, although it's quite rude (i'm given this information first hand, so its accurate and easy to prove). Management take a "softly softly" approach due to the "close nit nature of the office" (my arse), if things don't improve it might be time to throw the towel in.
  • Options
    No, you shouldn't be forced out.

I would talk to your boss about it and if he/she isn't prepared to act then I would do something official.

You aren't talking about gossip, this is bullying.