Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anybody drive under an automatic licence?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    aren't automatics more expensive to buy and run?
    I don't see the point in an automatic. I think, if you're not 'capable' of driving or handling a manual car, you shouldn't be on the road with other manual cars.

Whilst I don't agree that getting an auto only licence is a great idea, this has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard someone say on here for a while.

If you pass your test in an auto, then you're at as good a standard in an automatic as any other person who passes their test. When you drive around, you don't notice other cars and think "hmm, that's an automatic, I can tell because he's a shit driver".

Bear in mind, also, that, if you pass the stick test, you can drive an automatic without any training at all.
    They're sooo limiting too - you can only ever drive automatic.

Well, obviously.
    You could never share your car with your partner

Bit of a stretch that though. I'm sure there's people of the other sex who drive autos.
    I don't see the point in an automatic. I think, if you're not 'capable' of driving or handling a manual car, you shouldn't be on the road with other manual cars.

They're sooo limiting too - you can only ever drive automatic. You could never share your car with your partner (because the chances of finding a bf/gf who also drive automatic are slim!) and that would suck. They're ridiculously expensive when things go wrong with them.

I reckon you'd be better off getting on an intensive driving course and seeing how you get on.

So your license tells what kind of car you can drive there?
    You could never share your car with your partner (because the chances of finding a bf/gf who also drive automatic are slim!)

Of course his partner could drive his car, and if they bought an automatic together they could share it. A manual full licence covers you to drive automatics. It is him that cannot drive a manual.
    my_name wrote:
    So your license tells what kind of car you can drive there?

Sort of. If you learn and pass your test in an automatic car, your licence covers you to drive an automatic, but also is your provisonal learning licence for a manual.

If you pass your test in a manual car, you are covered to drive both with no extra tuition.

(Therefore, if you can pass your test in a manual, it is probably overall more worthwhile. Some people just can't. Me included it seems!)
    That seems a bit pita.

Thanks for explaining that!

You really are an idiot, you know that?

Having good clutch control has no bearing on how good a driver you are. Manual cars are quite difficult to get the hang of, and its only us Europeans who have the obsession with manuals. Go to the States or Australia and ask for a manual and everyone will look at you like you are a freak of nature- everyone drives autos.

My current car is a manual, and I have a manual licence, but I prefer driving autos. You DO have control over which gear you are in- if you kick down hard on the accelerator pedal in an auto it will change down a gear to give you extra speed, and you can limit the auto changer to certain gears using the shift control. Autos also have one great advantage if you live on a hill in that an auto won't roll away because you can lock the transmission when you park it.

Autos are infinitely easier for city and motorway driving, and the only time I ever missed a manual was on the country lanes. But once you learn how to drive an auto you can have just as much fun.

New autos are more expensive to buy, but second-hand ones tend to be cheaper. And whilst servicing costs are higher, fuel consumption tends to be lower as autos tend to be much smoother when accelerating.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think what your instructor probably meant was you have less control over the acceleration. Try as you might you can stick your foot down and it will take a few seconds before it goes bruum, because you have no control over what gear you're in.
    Yeah, that's what he said. I was the one who didn't explain it well.
    Mist wrote:
    Bear in mind, also, that, if you pass the stick test, you can drive an automatic without any training at all.
    I'm not sure if that's so good... I imagine it would take some time to get used to it. What if you tried to change to 2nd gear (because you're used to doing it) and suddenly pull it into reverse or something?

This thread has made me want to drive again... I'll start lessons again as soon as my exams are over (early October). :D
    And of course it will be a manual; I like it and automatics here are almost unheard of.

They're sooo limiting too - you can only ever drive automatic. You could never share your car with your partner (because the chances of finding a bf/gf who also drive automatic are slim!) and that would suck. They're ridiculously expensive when things go wrong with them.

I reckon you'd be better off getting on an intensive driving course and seeing how you get on.
    In fact most people say automatic is harder to control on the road than manual. But still what type of car you drive is irrelevant to what type of driver you are. I would consider myself as a safe driver to be, because I am not interested in racing & speeding up the road with others, like most boys my age are.

My partner could quiet easily drive my car if it was an auto. As for intensive driving course, that's OK if you have the money, but if your like me & have to buy everything yourself then it bites butt. :yes:

Anyhow hopefully during the week I am going to view some smart cars. Which is another point I am sure people may raise, because they are only two seats.
    I think you should go for the auto route if you've tried and failed with manuals.

Autos really aren't that different- you can't accidentally change into reverse or park because you need to press a big button on the transmission shift in order to move the stick. Autos can be a bit tricker to control at low speed, but you just use the brake instead of the clutch, but as for normal driving they are no different. The only thing you don't get in an auto is engine and transmission braking, but you should be using the footbrake most of the time in any type of car.

It's only in Europe where there's a big thing about proper cars being manuals. If you drive a manual in Australia everyone laughs at you, unless you're driving a ferrari.
    ^Torque-converters tend to lock up somewhere over 50mph in top-gear - but the gearing still tends to be different, so fuel economy will be different. But not vastly so.

Most gearbox services tend to just be fluid/filter replacement, so it shouldn't cost a huge amount of money. But when it breaks, it tends to be hugely expensive to repair...
    Ilora, as usual, you really say some weird things.
    Thankyou, I'll take that as a compliment considering the fact that if I did infact share the same thoughts as the rest of TheSite's users, I'd have shot myself in the head by now :thumb:
    How very condescending of you.
    For me there is a simple rule of thumb. people who choose to drive automatic because it's easy are just lazy, but no real bother.

Those who drive automatic because they can't use a manual gearbox should stay the fuck off the road because if you can't do more than one thing at a time then yuo are dangerous. I mean, how the hell do you think that you will be able to talk on the phone/change CDs/smoke/shave/read/look at a map [insert other distraction here] whilst driving if you can't even change gears :D
    Thankyou, I'll take that as a compliment considering the fact that if I did infact share the same thoughts as the rest of TheSite's users, I'd have shot myself in the head by now :thumb:
    how nice
    What is it you find so hard about manuals? Changing gears isn't all that hard and after a few lessons you don't even need to look down to change gears. I'd think there was some serious lack of concentration or ability if someone couldn't change gears and surely those are two factors which literally form the basis of decent driving :confused:

I am in no way dissing autos and think that they are a good idea and yes, I would use one, just to be lazy but surely everyone in theory should be capable of driving a manual.
    Kermit wrote:
    It's only in Europe where there's a big thing about proper cars being manuals. If you drive a manual in Australia everyone laughs at you, unless you're driving a ferrari.
    And who makes the best cars to drive? Europeans. I've never heard of a decent Australian car. :p

Incidentally, when it's icey, do automatics go into a higher gear by themselves?
    Jazza wrote:
    What is it you find so hard about manuals? Changing gears isn't all that hard and after a few lessons you don't even need to look down to change gears. I'd think there was some serious lack of concentration or ability if someone couldn't change gears and surely those are two factors which literally form the basis of decent driving :confused:

I am in no way dissing autos and think that they are a good idea and yes, I would use one, just to be lazy but surely everyone in theory should be capable of driving a manual.
    Oh yeah I want to drive auto for the sake of being lazy. :rolleyes:
    How many instructors have you tried?

If you've only been with one, I'd suggest getting someone else, because some of them can be pretty shit.
    Mist wrote:
    How many instructors have you tried?

If you've only been with one, I'd suggest getting someone else, because some of them can be pretty shit.
    The BSM.
    When I was wee I always said I wouldnt want to learn to drive cos I didnt know which way was which for the indicators :blush:

Then when it was gears which scared me. I'd seriously try another instructor.
    HIT wrote:
    The BSM.

Try someone else. My BSM instructor was lousy compared to the guy I used for pass plus.
    I have a full manual licence. I have owned 4 cars, 2 of which have been automatic. I'm glad I have a manual licence as it's not so limiting when it comes to hiring cars, borrowing other peoples cars etc. I would quite happily have another automatic though.. D for drive, P for park, what could be easier!?!

Try another instructor, and maybe a different pair of shoes. Sounds weird but I can only drive in trainers where I can feel the pedals properly. I notice the difference when I try and drive in my chunky boots or high heels.

Have you even passed your test yet? I tend to think you'd be a little more qualified to stand by your opinions if they were based on anything related to the real world, rather than the thoughts of someone who had rather little experience of the roads and how they work...
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    What I'd do HIT is speak to another instructor, for one or two lessons. They will be able to tell you if its something they dont think you will pick up, or if you just need a bit more time on it.
    Clutch control is a hard thing to grasp, but once its there, its there. Just stick at it, it makes it easier in the long run to have the choice of every car on the forecourt.
    However, if you and your instructor do decide to stick to an auto, its not the complete end of the world, as i do enjoy driving automatics.
    But all the same, good luck! :)

Oh and Ilora, how utterly charming!
    Thanks everyone for the replies. :)

Does anyone have a rough guess on how much a new smart for two will cost?