Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weird Noises...Fan?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok yesterday for some reason my laptop has started making noises like a small motor. I assume its my fan but as long as ive had this laptop its been silent. Ive cleaned all the dust out and im still hearing this annoying motor noise. Any ideas how to stop it, without having to take my laptop apart or pay money to get it fixed?

Ta.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does it do it constantly?

It could be that the bearings in the fan are starting to go - when you buy a fan all the ball bearings are encased in oil and this very slowly leaks out / somethihng happens to it so friction increases.

As friction increases, this creates vibrations which when bad, will sound like a cat is dying. (not that i actually know what a dying cat sounds like, oh wait, I do :(). ANYWAY... if its intermittent it could be your hard drive. I think the best you can do at the moment is just leave it for a bit and see if it goes away, sometimes these things do by themselves..
    Yeah, i agree with shyboy, the fans a likely culprit. I recently had to change one of mine out.
    The noises are only when its hot so I'd imagine its the fans. If I have to have something replaced how much will it cost?

The noise is definatly coming from the fans though and it is seeminly getting hot. Its not too loud but its annoying.

*Turns up the music and ignores it*
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sounds like the fan... shouldn't be too much to buy a new one, find out what size it is, order one off ebuyer or somewhere?
    Its still making noises. Guess it will need to get looked at.
    gerbil - its a laptop though, they're not as straightforward. I've never taken one apart even though I mess about with desktops all the time!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    gerbil - its a laptop though, they're not as straightforward. I've never taken one apart even though I mess about with desktops all the time!

I imagine it'll be pretty much a standard fan size - probably 72mm or 60 or 40.

Even if it ain't standard molex... take off the old one and solder hte attacher onto the new one.

It can't be that hard to be fair... if it isn't standard nad you take a look... no losses!
    I am not good with technology, I'd rather pay a professional to do it than break my laptop and have to get a new one!
    Good luck, I know they can really rip you off on the charges, like £50 per hour. Maybe I should start up as a PC-wizz and charge £10 an hour :chin:

Also, you may find some computer 'experts' know a lot less than they should, and just follow some basic instructions, and will end up saying 'faulty hard drive' even if its a correctable error, and will charge you £100 for a new one (when you can buy them for £30-£40).

Grrrr. But laptops often come with a warranty, so just phone them up and it should be free! :D
    If you get any problems, feel free to post it up here and I'll do it at cost. :)