Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

System builder woes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, had a power supply with this new micro atx case. Everything looks fine. Going along. Put the motherboard in.

Why is there only a 12 pin power cable coming out of the psu, whereas on my motherboard there is only a 10 pin power socket. GRRRRR.

Suggestions please :(

by that, i mean 20 / 24 pin

ahar! the last 4 pins snap off :D

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Rofl.

Great post mate. I was about to say that.

So... my biggest problem when building a PC... is fitting all the stuff in. I couldn't put my slave HDD where I wanted... cos' the fucking 7800GT hits it. Do'h. It only just fits where it is now anyway.

And of course... those nerves... for the first bootup. You just don't want to hit power... one last check! Yup, all fine. Ung. Bite the bullet. Press power.

IT WORKS! YESSS!

Or the fun of having an IDE cable that *JUST* isn't long enough. Wank stains.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i aint gonna have that problem in a micro atx case. Now, I'm wondering, can the cpu tep probe be attatched to the cpu heatsink? If so, where's the best bit to put it on, as mine has a green 'outer bit' and fins in the middle. Which its gonna be tricky to attatch to. Grrr!!1
    Well it's by no means perfect but I folded the sticked around it into a loop with the sensor on one side and wedged it tight between two fins. It's annoying because it wouldn't stick normally to the side, I tried sticking it on with a knife but the pad wasnt sticky at all. Ah well.HDD to go in and then test :D
    The other 4 are for Intel motherboards IIRC.
    Cool. Now it's up and running (am writing this on it) however the case has an inbuilt thermometer and nothing is showing up. Methinks there is a molex i need somewhere, but i cant see it!!!
    Found the molex! Idling at aaprox 39 degrees on the heatsink. Not too bad!!

Stupidly loud PSU but I CBA to change it lol.
    argh front sound aint working :mad:

its plugged to the motherboard and the back is working, so i aint a clue
    Are you sure that you haven't pluggeg the front into the back and, in fact, it's just doing two speaker stereo?
    i plugged the front onto the motherboard, isnt that where you're supposed to put it?
    Ahar. My case is wired up wrongly. The front audio comes out the jack with the mic symbol and vise versa. So need to change the wires, but confused which ones to move over. Here's the diagram:

p.s. someone has been anidiot while im away and put a tv next to my monitor and the radiation has made it go funny and degauss aint fixing it. Wavy lines hurt my eyes :(
    I'm not sure.

Speaker left and right are pretty obvious, so I'd connect the front audio to those two, then probably rear speakers to the ones called FPOUT. Then see what happens.
    It's fairly simple. The rear sound is onboard so nothing to faff with there. That's actually a wrong diagram, I'll post the correct one. Anyway, the sound from the fron goes in one easy plug to slot them all onto. The problem is with the actual case, that the two ports are not labelled correctly.

Dont think there's much I can do it seems, a design flaw, if you will :(. Everything else is hunky dorey except the PSU which has the noisiest 80mm fan ever. Heh. Was going to sell it to my friend but shes backed out now (for 150) so mum wants it instead! Shame that on such a small case you can't fit a tv card AND a wireless card AND a graphics card with a bulky cooler. Would make a beautiful media centre PC.

On the ohter hand, USB wireless *-) or wired, even!