Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

young women - it's your world

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote:
    i think you're missing an important point that although a lot of women will find the above attractive, they also want to be treated as an equal and sometimes shock horror want to be the dominant one. its all about finding a balance.

:yes:

Compromise
  • Options
    Matt - why do you think one gender should be dominant? Surely both genders should be equal?
  • Options
    So the man needs to be dominant to keep the spark?? Being equal i.e compromising doesn't make the relationship boring. The relationship gets boring when effort stops being put in.
  • Options
    This is what i'm trying to make a definition about.

I am being dominant in my relationships because;

1) it's attractive to women

2) it's in my best interest as well as hers

How is it in a womans best interests to be dominated by a man?

My parents marriage was dominated by my dad, now its fallen apart and my mum won't stand up for herself. And my dad is also taking all the money and the house with him.

I don't think that was in her best interests at all.
  • Options
    Matt - why do you think dominance is attractive to women? You can't talk for all women, either.
  • Options
    Dominance in an attractive manner.

I'll refer to it as attractive dominance from now on.

i still dont see why you think theres this rule that states to have a good relationship the man needs to be dominant, even if its in an 'attractive' manner. What happened to 50/50 relationships.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Matt - why do you think dominance is attractive to women? You can't talk for all women, either.
    I don't think it's dominance that women find attractive, it's confidence. And a person with plenty of confidence will naturally be dominant over someone who has less.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i still dont see why you think theres this rule that states to have a good relationship the man needs to be dominant, even if its in an 'attractive' manner. What happened to 50/50 relationships.
    i think he just means its best for a man to have dominance in him. he won't tell his girlfriend what to do per se but will make sure she knows hes not a walkover. in other words he just stands up for himself rather than being a little lapdog.
  • Options
    I don't think it's dominance that women find attractive, it's confidence. And a person with plenty of confidence will naturally be dominant over someone who has less.

That makes sense!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i think he just means its best for a man to have dominance in him. he won't tell his girlfriend what to do per se but will make sure she knows hes not a walkover. in other words he just stands up for himself rather than being a little lapdog.
    I get that, but I think a healthy relationship requires both people to be like that, not just one.
  • Options
    Of course it does, I still want her to do what you want, but if she does, i'll never get to feel those emotions of when she is gone or feeling angrily about her, those emotions make me love her more.
    So if you both have to be confident and have self-respect, and generally not change yourself to please the other person, then that must mean that you're both dominant, or for want of another word, equal?
  • Options
    So if you both have to be confident and have self-respect, and generally not change yourself to please the other person, then that must mean that you're both dominant, or for want of another word, equal?

Agreed. I think that relationships should be about being equal and compromise; not one being dominant all the time.
  • Options
    That depends on your view of how much a relationship is based on attraction. I said previously, I want to keep the spark in my relationships.

the examples you gave were first impressions, and a relationship based on that will not last. It's only the start.
    Yes because I surely must be a bastard to have such thoughts about women!

If you say so, I didn't say that.

But let's see if I can explain in a way that you will understand.

In that example who really is the dominant partner. Is it the man who takes the "dominant" role in bed, or is it the woman who wants the man to take the domainant role only for her man to fulfill her desires. If he is doing what she wants then surely it is her?

If they both want sex in that way then neither is dominant.

If only one partner wants it then at worst you are actually talking about assault.
    No, you are saying that, twisting again. I said dominance is attractive, nothing else, do not make suggestions.

I didn't, I asked a question. You seem not to understand the difference.
  • Options
    To answer the question - I feel it's in the relationships best interest for the man to take a dominant role, although there are still a lot of relationships where the woman takes the dominant role and the man is subservient or beta as I like to say.

If both partners are confident and secure in themselves, and know what they want in the relationship, then there is no dominance. I get my way sometimes, she gets her way sometimes.

I agree that confidence and security are important features in a relationship, but gender dynamics don't come into that.

If I'm confident and secure, and she's confident and secure, then we're equals. The whole point is that I am not dominant, and she is not dominant.

Why then does dominance come into it? Dominance is about forcing your will onto somebody else for the majority of the time, because if you get a 50/50 split neither partner is dominant and neither partner is submissive.

You seem to be confusing dominance and confidence. I am confident in what I say and think and act, but I am not bossy or controlling, so that does not make me dominant.

You also still seem to think that women love a bastard, when most women don't. A man that will stand up for the things he believes in, yes, but not someone who rides roughshod over their dreams and desires.
  • Options
    it is obviously the man, because he does take the dominant role.

But what about if he only behaves like that because his wife wants him to? What about if what he'd really prefer is for her to bend him over and spank him?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But what about if he only behaves like that because his wife wants him to? What about if what he'd really prefer is for her to bend him over and spank him?
    Then the bloke is subservient and the woman will leave him as there is no spark and he will become her lapdog :yes:
  • Options
    it is obviously the man, because he does take the dominant role.

Thank you for proviing my point earlier, you don't get it.
  • Options
    Then that's their sexual preference isn't it, I don't see why you need my opinion on that.

*whoosh*

Don't get it, do you?
  • Options
    If she wants him to be dominant and he does, he is being dominant.

Except he isn't because he's doing what she wants.
    Men like to be dominant in most things

I'd argue that you only have to "prove yourself" if you are insecure.

And you really shouldn't make generalisations like that because you cannot speak for us all.
  • Options
    I didn't say that :confused:

You're saying a man is dominant if he is dominant in bed, and I've shown how naive and blinkered that view is.
  • Options
    Saying a woman will lose attraction if he is dominated in bed

Where has anyone said that?
  • Options
    Well whatever tickles your fancy, I don't see why you want to argue about such a simple thing.

Hang on, it's you who argued that a man has to be dominant. We are proving that you are wrong, that actually both partners have to be equal and the examples you are giving us just makes our point for us.
    Are you saying all male children in junior school are insecure because they fight and play football?

Yes, to an extent.

The drive to win is about having to be "better". Makes no difference to me, personally, because I don't actually care. I like who I am and beating you, or losing to you, in some game/fight doesn't actually matter to me.
  • Options
    pick out any slighty mis-communication and turn it into a "so you're saying you are a bastard to women?"

When has either of us said that?
  • Options
    You're trying to say that a man who is dominant in bed must be dominant in life.

No I'm not. It was you that raise dominance in bed FFS. What I am pointing out is that you have a fallacy of what it takes to build a relationship. You seem to think that you are being dominanant when in fact you aren't. I suspect that you like this feeling because it makes you feel powerful, when in reality i t masks insecurity.
    you are trying to make trapping suggestions.

... and there is an example of that. there is no trap, there is no competition here, there is no winner and loser. Just a debate. In the end we'll either agree that one of us is right, or agree to disagree. Either way we are the same people as before, maybe just a little more enlightened.

The idea of a debate like this isn't to "win", it's to test why you believe what you do. That is the only reason for any of my questions and hence the reason that you will have seen this I ask you "why" so often
    It's a natural instinct to be competative, i'm sure plenty will agree children are not insecure because they play sports and fight.

Just because they don't realise that is why they do it, doesn't mean that it isn;t why.

It's about wanting to be No 1. If you are secure in yourself then you have reason to prove anything to anyone else. So no reason to fight, or want to win.

Playing football wasn;t really a good example TBH. Many people play because they enjoy the game. Winning is just a side issue.
  • Options
    I am dominant because it keeps a nice attraction with my other half going, **Shock Horror** she actually likes it when i'm attractively dominant with her.

*sighs*

And therefore you are not being dominant because she wants it too. You are fulfilling her needs which just happen to coincide with yours - therefore it is an equal partnership and therefore dominance does not exist and your whole "men should be dominant because women like thatt" argument falls apart.

If they like it, then it is their wish, therefore you are doing what they want and therefore you are not actually dominanting them.
    All I said was men have a preference to be dominant in bed, why is that so controversial to you?

Because it is a generalisation and not actually true. Some men like to feel as if they are dominant some of the time, others don't every like to feel like that ever.

At no point are they actually dominating, unless they are raping her.
    People enjoy the challenge of being NO.1 too, that doesn't make them insecure.

But why is there a challenge there, if you want to be better then it is because you are not happy with now. Therefore you are not secure with the "now" - is my point.
  • Options
    Sport isn't the best example because its something people enjoy no matter how good they are, but you tend to find that very driven people tend to be very insecure. Look at people like Keane, like Maradona, you don't see much stability and security in their psychological profiles. It's what makes them successful, because they base their self-worth on success on the field.

You still don't say what you consider being dominant to be. You say men should be dominant in order to be attractive, but you really aren't explaining what you mean by either. It's not a trick question, I'm trying to understand where you are coming from.

I consider being dominant to be domineering, to be the boss. What you say, goes. That is what I consider to be dominant, and I suspect that is what MoK considers it to be too. Enjoying pinning your girlfriend down during sex is not domineering if that is what you both want; letting your girlfriend pin you down and spank you during sex does not make you a "beta" if that is what you both want. You are both using sex to fulfil your desires, and so you are enjoying sex as equals.

I pick you up on your example of domination during sex to show that if you always put your girlfriend's desires above your own then you are being submissive. If you play the dominant man in bed for her when you don't want to you are submitting to what she wants ahead of what you want. By being "dominant" you are, in fact, being submissive.

I have a feeling you get confused between acting with confidence and security, and acting with dominance. I have a feeling that you are scared to be too "weak" because you honestly believe that girls only love a bastard, when nothing could be further from the truth. Compromise is a good thing in a relationship, it doesn't make you "wussy". Do something you hate for them and they will do something they hate for you.

Being confident and secure is having the confidence and security to say yes, no and sorry.
  • Options
    Are you saying that that woman wants to get beaten? lol.

I think quite a lot of women do find confidence and dominance attractive... but that could be in any form. For example a guy who dominates over other guys is often seen as attractive, you know like taking a weird example but you always see the dominant male ape's banging the most chicks, know what I mean?

But then lots of women find intelligence, geekiness, combinations of things attractive, so in essence as long as people are true to themselves they should find someone to be with.

Also, I think it's quite easy to tell in life who is trying to falsely act "confident" or "dominant" in a crowd or to an individual.. I always see blokes acting up and I just think wow man you're a complete arsehole, and most of the girls do too..
  • Options
    She wants me to be dominant because it is an attractive trait

:banghead:

... and because she wants you to act like that doesn't mean that you are being the dominant partner in the relationship, It means that at that moment she wants you to take charge. Becuase it is also her wish you are, in fect, acting in an equal status. you know damned well that when she says "enough, now it;s my turn" that you will stop being "dominant" and will become subservient.

Either that, or you are assaulting her.
    I play it and want to be better

.. and by definition are therefore not secure at the moment with your skills because you think that you can improve. more to the point, it matters to you, that youthink you could improve.
    My best friends sister has a man who beats her, very badly, but she will not leave him, by your perception this can not ever happen, but it does, so surely there is something attracting her of keep her emotionally involved, otherwise she would take the logical decision and get out of there.

Oh dear, you really have no idea, do you?

I don't suppose that it could be that she is shit scared to walk away? Or the fact that she accepts this because he gives her someone else in the relatiohsip (the compromise part we talked about). Why on earth do you seem to think that she might stay because she "likes" being beaten?
  • Options
    My best friends sister has a man who beats her, very badly, but she will not leave him, by your perception this can not ever happen, but it does, so surely there is something attracting her of keep her emotionally involved, otherwise she would take the logical decision and get out of there. This in no way means I feel beating a woman is attractive, just that something is holding her there, it is not just fear either, she is eomtionally in love wth this man.
    something is holding her there

Yeah, it's called fear. That poor woman has been so beaten, physically and emotionally, she truly believs she can't leave. Something worse than what she's getting will happen to her, she won't be able to start any form of a new life away from him, she'll have nowhere to go, no money, no friends. People/friends/family won't believe what she says about her partner. Like any abuser, they live off the fear of their victim which in it's turn gives them power. Like MoK says she doesn't enjoy being beaten, that poor woman is shit scared of the psychotic cunt. I wish i lived nearer coz i'd show that shit what a fagg*t can do !
  • Options
    ... and because she wants you to act like that doesn't mean that you are being the dominant partner in the relationship, It means that at that moment she wants you to take charge.
    The thing I was thinking of was if a man goes up to a prostitute, and pays her to 'dominate' him. Now in terms of her sexual behaviour, she would be being dominant, and he would find that attractive. But the fact is that she would be doing this purely to please him, which would mean that despite her behaviour, she is actually being submissive (other than the financial aspect of it of course).