Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Enrichment activities in 6th form

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
In our interviews for 6th form we were asked or told to pick a 'enrichment' activity for wednesday afternoons. Such as drama workshops, swimming and various activities at other schools. Now some of us are being told we have to do them and some aren't.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has to or has done enrichment activities in the 6th form? Personally i don't want to as i came to 6th form to further my education, not be shipped to another school for some club activity. We're 16 not 6.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If you're an A-Level student, you are meant to do enrichment of some sort, but if you're an NVQ student, you don't have to do enrichment.

The choices we had were rubbish - wanted to do football on a Wednesday afternoon but couldn't because I'm a girl.:(
  • Options
    but whats the point of it?

i was actually told by the deputy head who did my interview that its not compulsary
    plus it creates a problem for me as its on a wednesday afternoon, and my mum works till late on wednesdays so i need to do my brothers dinner etc as he's autistic and cant cook for himself

Gr, it would also mean a bus to and back from another school, then a bus from school home. The bus home takes 1/2 hour at that and even then its another 1/2 hour walk to my house.
  • Options
    To fill up your timetable I think? Despite the fact that you'd be doing at least 15 hours without enrichment...
  • Options
    I did A Levels 2 years ago, and we had nothing of the sort.
    I had 16 hours of 'free periods' a week and spent it in the 6th form gallery munching out of the vending machines, listening to my walkman and having a bloody good gossip. My, those times were the best :lol:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    To fill up your timetable I think? Despite the fact that you'd be doing at least 15 hours without enrichment...
    it seems another lame idea to try and make us better human beings...like citizenship :rolleyes:

I can get on with my a levels without having to goin a club i have no interest in. Did you do enrichment then?
  • Options
    I did. I did Ten Tors but that was a weekend thing. I quit after a while and did no enrichment and nothing was said. (And I never said anything when asked) In about February/March, I totally messed up my A Levels (chose wrong ones, basically) and got told to fill my time table up. So, my enrichment from about April until June basically involved working in the English department - helping the teachers in their lessons and doing some boring admin stuff.
  • Options
    We had it, called it enhancement though. I used to get involved with the college plays/musicals and fucking loved it.

Presumably you get to choose which activity you do? Pick one you like. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Talk to your head of 6th form or whatever and explain the circumstances. I had a 6th form timetable from hell and managed to bunk my way out of the enrichment session by explaining that I did have serious hobbies (in my case music and watersports) and I'd like to persue them, so can I have the enrichment time at home to do my thing instead please.

That worked quite well. Obviously if all you do is work and social then the enrichment is good for you and you should do it.
  • Options
    We never really got to choose what we did because it usually clashed with our lessons.
  • Options
    there wasnt anything on the list i wanted to do anyway

i've already got a hobby that gives me something to do and i enjoy at the weekends. I don't see why school needs to give me one aswell.
  • Options
    Can't you see if you can get work experince somewhere during that Wednesday afternoon?
  • Options
    ive already explained to them that the wednesday afternoon is a bad time for me and explained about my brother etc
    he said it was fine and all that but everyone else is saying they've got to do it.
  • Options
    Well go and talk to them, explain that you have a hobbie and you'd like to manage your time and do that, so could you have Wednesday pm for family/homework and you'll do your enrichment at the weekend. Suck up, witter how much you love your hobby and want to balance your life, and how you had things planned with enrichment involved.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    ive already explained to them that the wednesday afternoon is a bad time for me and explained about my brother etc
    he said it was fine and all that but everyone else is saying they've got to do it.

Get a letter from your mum then if you really can't do it on a Wednesday afternoon.
  • Options
    Well let everyone else do it and you don't. In reality they let off people who have good reasons.
  • Options
    That does seem fair enough.
  • Options
    don't be so pessimistic, it can be a good way of enhancing your skills.

at my college you could do first aid/sign language etc.
  • Options
    you used to go to school on a wednesday afternoon though didnt you? so why does this make any difference? we were just supposed to go to the gym or something which obviously didnt take all afternoon. cant you choose one where you dont have to travel to another school?
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    you used to go to school on a wednesday afternoon though didnt you? so why does this make any difference? we were just supposed to go to the gym or something which obviously didnt take all afternoon. cant you choose one where you dont have to travel to another school?
    this would go later though as the time tables different.
    Trouble is, all the ones at my school are sports. And i don't like sports. There is a good gym there however, but its also open to the public so im not sure when we can go in.
  • Options
    i wish my college did enrichment stuff, i wouldn't have had the problem of trying to cram in evening classes in to get my hours up to 21...

surely they should offer something other than sports? what happens to people that can't do sports for some reason?

and 6th forms (from what i've heard) are just like school, only they give you the freedom of not wearing uniform. thus why i didn't go to 6th form...
  • Options
    i wish my college did enrichment stuff, i wouldn't have had the problem of trying to cram in evening classes in to get my hours up to 21...

surely they should offer something other than sports? what happens to people that can't do sports for some reason?

and 6th forms (from what i've heard) are just like school, only they give you the freedom of not wearing uniform. thus why i didn't go to 6th form...
    my schools a sports college, if we don't want to do sports then we get bussed off to another school. I've heard i can go in the gym so i'll do that. That way i can attempt to get fit aswell. Think it'll depend on numbers though cause its only tiny.
  • Options

And alos, you get free periods, but that's basically true.