Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

annoying customers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
after reading the thread on good customer service decided to do one on how to be a good customer!

i work in a big retail store and probably get yelled at about 2 times a day,

the most recent was because we failed to make a tv that has freeview and is hd ready, under 26inches and for between 400 and 500 pounds and of course that was entirely my fault!

what really annoys me is when people say its "you" for eg, answered the phone the other day and was yelled at for apparently hanging up on this woman five times, nevermind we had only just opened and that "hanging up" was actually an automated answermachine. oh no! "I" hung up on her, and she refused to stop yelling until i had personally apologised.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A good customer should have at least some idea of just what they want. I HATE when people come to me and say " I want a running trainer " well that's almost the entire footwear section then well done you that narrowed it down, numpty!

A good customer is one who interacts with the assistant communication is vital, the amount of people i serve whom you stand in front of and aks questions and just get nothing in return, you cant find someone something suitable if they sit and say nothing, or, say one sentence then repeat it over and over.

A good customer also wouldnt know over all the display stock but instead would actually bother to ask for assistance.

Polite, friendly and communication is the key for some basic's
    rachie004 wrote:
    hmmm yes, I see what you mean - likewise when I ask people to put their seat backs upright in preparation for landing I'm actually not interested in how much you paid for their ticket

:lol: A man sitting next to my cousins when we were on a plane once gave that arguement - he wanted his tray table down for taking off, so he could be ready for his meal and drink. The poor hostess, he gave her a right earful about how he'd paid for the seat he'd use all of the seat, until my aunty told him "BLOODY HELL DO AS THE WOMAN ASKS!"
    Got my fair share of annoying (old) twats when I worked for Mecca Bingo.

Used to be this one nasty old woman in a wheelchair who used to come in and bark at me every day that she wanted the change from her books in pound coins so she could play the machines. Almost got a disciplinary when I used to give her it in 50p bits just out of sheer spite.

A lot of the customers were fine though, this one woman used to come out and give me a kiss every time I sold her books and she won :blush:
    I work in a bead shop two days a week at the moment. I don't mind people who don't know what they're doing and are looking for advice, I have all the time in the world for them. However, I hate the people who don't know what they're doing, ask for your advice and then argue with you :mad:
    I had one particularly irritating woman who I spent ages with explaining the difference between two different types of pliers and she just wouldn't believe that they would do what I said they'd do. She even actually uttered the words "Can I bring them back if they don't do what you're telling me they'll do?" She wanted to take the other type of pliers which wouldn't have worked, so it wasn't like I was trying to con her into buying something she didn't need. Why would I sell her the ones which didn't work if we had the ones which did work and cost the same price?! :banghead:
    When I'm working in a bar there's a few things that piss me off. People who give you their money then turn around and chat to their friend and expect you to get their attention to give them their change back. People who don't specify that they want something without ice, then shout at you when you put it in. Or say 'vodka and coke' then shout at you for giving them house instead of Smirnoff. If you want Smirnoff, ask for it for fucks sake. Or people who insist that your cocktails are wrong, and from their vast experience of having one on holiday one time, they are right.

And when I worked in Curry's back in the day, customers who generally didn't have a clue what they wanted. I had a customer who wanted to buy a laptop for his company. He told me exactly what he wanted to do on it, and I suggested a computer which happened to have XP Home edition. I then had to spend the next 20 minutes explaining why upgrading to XP Pro would be a waste of money, and him insisting that he needed Pro because it was a business computer, despite him not having a clue what the differences were. I was trying to save him money, but he was having none of it. So yeah, customers who admit that they don't have a clue, but then argue with you when you tell them things. Oh and customers who got annoyed with me because the bank had rejected them for credit. I'm glad I don't deal with customers very much now.
    People who give you their money then turn around and chat to their friend and expect you to get their attention to give them their change back. People who don't specify that they want something without ice, then shout at you when you put it in. Or say 'vodka and coke' then shout at you for giving them house instead of Smirnoff. If you want Smirnoff, ask for it for fucks sake. Or people who insist that your cocktails are wrong, and from their vast experience of having one on holiday one time, they are right.

:heart::heart: will you marry me?
    i feel your pain.

my personal favorite at the moment is people that just point. we sell like 500 different things and go il have one of those and just wave their arm randomly and then when you go one of what they just wave at it again!! grrr
    Customers are a nusiance and should not be allowed in my shop.
    Customers are a nusiance and should not be allowed in my shop.

Ooo yes, life would be so much easier without them :yes:

When I first worked at the shop I work (I started with weekends/holidays about 6 years ago), we had two sticks behind the counter, one was longer than the other. The longer one was the stupid customer stick as you could reach to the door with it and you could usually tell which ones they were when they entered the shop. The shorter one was the annoying customer stick, as you couldn't usually tell they were annoying until they were right up close and bugging you at the cash desk. Sadly we were never allowed to actually use them :(
    The other day a customer came up to me and asked 'have you got any breadbuns?'

I work in a bakery. I don't even know where to begin with what's wrong with that question.

I can't stand ignorant customers either. The ones who just point blank ignore you when you talk to them, and you know full well they can hear you. Morons.

And the ones that act like just because you work in a shop, they can treat you like something they just scraped off their shoe. Ugh.
    Funniest customer asked me if I had chicken breasts, and then laughed at me :o

Actually it was quite amusing though.
    Lil Laura wrote:

And the ones that act like just because you work in a shop, they can treat you like something they just scraped off their shoe. Ugh.

god same here.

i like to try and get in the bit about being at uni or only working there part time.

i had the idea of just leaving all the stock in the warehouse and letting customers help themselves.

we've just started giving green clubcard points when you re-use carrier bags (you have to fill the bag properly). i had a lady who put a baguette in a huuuuge bag and i was like 'you won't get a point for putting that in there i'm afraid'. moose.

this is so going to turn into a rant about customers..!
    Funniest customer asked me if I had chicken breasts, and then laughed at me :o

Actually it was quite amusing though.

You just reminded me of another classic idiot customer question I got told about a while back:

'These chicken breast bites, are they chicken or fish?'

Um...
    theres salso the customer who cant bear to touch or speak to u, u know the ones,

they never speak when their at the till so your totally convinced their deaf until they walk off and natter to their mate.

then the ones that constantly just put or even chuck the money down on the counter instead of my hand 3 cm away because of course being a lowely shop worker ive got scurvy or something
    People who don't specify that they want something without ice, then shout at you when you put it in.

I ask for a JD and coke, I don't ask for a JD and coke and ice.

So why put ice in? If I wanted ice I'd ask for ice.

As for customers, yes, they are mostly pillocks. You get used to it though. It's easier because I only work on phones, but I'm good at boring them into submission. If you start prattling on about how I'm not doing my job, I'll just go into incredibly great detail about how I actually have done my job. I also always say I'm sorry they feel like that, but I never ever ever accept responsibility for anything. The best trick is always to say "we will...", rather than "I will...", and you get extra points for telling them to do the exact opposite of what they rang up to demand.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I used to hate it when people were talking on their blasted mobile phone when I was serving them at the till and expecting me to be polite.
    I dont have to deal with customers any more, but still get the stories from the staff. The worst we had recently (and get several times a year) is someone booked lest minute for a hotel and nightckub tickets, moaned about the entire weekend and then calculated how much the weekend SHOULD have cost and asked for a refund of the difference. Err, we're an agency, you cant organise something yourself, so you have to pay us a premium (and not a massive one at that) to sort it out for you. People like that are very stupid and very petty, the ones who threaten to tell the papers about our awful service are just nuts.

I had some mad customers in retail as well.
    I used to hate it when people were talking on their blasted mobile phone when I was serving them at the till and expecting me to be polite.

if someone does that to me (quite frequently) then i either ignore them and make them pack their own things or make a point of chatting to them.
    reckon im too nice for my own. i usually tend to try to mime!

Actually do you know what is worse than that ?

Customer's who approach you for help, ask for something then when you return they have fucked off .. it's like " WHY ?" why why whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy that really get's on my nerves
    I don't really have bad customer stories. Just the odd ones who shout because their customer order or store-transfer hasn't come through yet and they've travelled all the way in to collect it when we specifically say we will call them when it arrives.

Now the disgusting things that happen with returns... *shudders*
    melanie wrote:
    :heart::heart: will you marry me?
    You appear to be female. Why not? Oh and I almost forgot. People who wait until the end of the round to tell you they want a Guinness.
    Kermit wrote:

Because it comes with ice, just like Corona comes with lime, and martini comes with an olive. I don't ask for a load of shit on my burger in McDonalds either, but that's what you get. Unless you live under a rock, you know that anything with coke or lemonade in comes with ice.

Oh and as for phone customers, I hate those one's that expect the first person to pick up the phone to know the intimate details of their problem. Check you're talking to the right person first, before you start prattling on about stuff which is bullshit to me.
    People who wait until the end of the round to tell you they want a Guinness.

YES! This is one of my greatest hates, they know it takes a decade and a half to pour yet seem to get some kind of sick thrill out of tacking on "oh, and a pint of Guinness" to the round as soon as every other drink has been placed in front of them. It's also very sad that they're under the illusion that anyone in the free world gives a flying fuck that they're "sophisticated" enough to enjoy Guinness because NOBODY DOES, yet they still feel the need to draw attention to it. Cunts like this STILL annoy me, and it's been a good two years since I was on the wrong side of a bar.

:mad:
    Kermit wrote:

hehe most bars will ask if you want ice. if they do i will always say "yes just ONE cube please" just to be picky :razz:
    briggi wrote:
    It's also very sad that they're under the illusion that anyone in the free world gives a flying fuck that they're "sophisticated" enough to enjoy Guinness because NOBODY DOES, yet they still feel the need to draw attention to it.
    Sophisticated? Guinness? Really?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Oh and as for phone customers, I hate those one's that expect the first person to pick up the phone to know the intimate details of their problem. Check you're talking to the right person first, before you start prattling on about stuff which is bullshit to me.

That is so fucking annoying. Mind you I listen to them rant then say, "right, you should call customer services". Or the ones who ring up and the first thing they say is "Do you know about my problem?" Erm, possibly? How about you give me a clue? Or the ones that when you ask them "any idea what sort of vehicle you are looking for?" and they reply "what do you do?" Well dickhead, if you give me an idea of what you want I'll tell you, you fucking muppet. People who ring and then have someone else sat with them who tells them what to say. Why dont they ring themselves? Those who ring on a confrence call and proceed to discuss amongst themselves. Customers who put you on hold and have fucking greensleeves on their amateur holding music. When you check the customer is over 23 and they say yes, then when its booked they say "i'm only 20 is that OK?"

I could go on. For months.
    I hate customers who come through my till talking on thier phone, it's FUCKING IGNORANT, i tend to ignore them.
    I hate customers who ignore you when you talk to them.
    I hate customers who when you try politely telling them that the self scan is 10 items or less and say that as it's not too busy you will let them continue this time....only for them to get in a piss and walk off.
    It bugs me when people just dump thier fresh and frozen stuff where the fuck they like, so it goes off.
    I hate it when customers stink, and make me feel like i am gonna vomit.

Can you tell i have just finished a shit shift?
    Because it comes with ice

Fucking doesn't. There's no ice in the coke, or in the JD. The bar staff add it.

Anyway, getting away from the rant about how you destroy my drink aspect.

I hate people is expect something which you will never achieve and then complain that you failed to meet their expectation.

Get fucking real next time.
    I had someone tell me 'And you can tell THAT to Gordon Brown in bed tonight'

Hmm yes because I really shag Gordon Brown :rolleyes:

When I worked in the bank I used to get some really freaky stalkerish type customers :yuck:
    When I tell someone that the course they want isn't available for this September's entry as its full, and they say "Can't you just fit one more person on?" or give me stream of abuse. Nice. People who don't get that the admissions office doesn't deal with accommodation/finance, and when you try and put them through they ask why I can't deal with it. Because I don't have that information. When people ring without their refernece number, and say "Can't you do it with my name? Its John Williams." And how many John Williams do you think there are on our system? When I tell people their course is based on another campus and they ask if it can be moved. No, it can't. When people complain about walking around when I'm taking tours-were you expecting to fly?