Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Enrolling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have my college enrolment day on friday and like normal, I'm bricking it.

What does an enrolment usually involve? The letter says nothing except how much money I need to take :rolleyes:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You turning up, telling them what courses you want to do, your grades, your name and address etc. Lots of hanging around and not much else.
    god when i enrol at uni most of it is waiting around in long queues!
    I have my college enrolment day on friday and like normal, I'm bricking it.

What does an enrolment usually involve? The letter says nothing except how much money I need to take :rolleyes:

First check if you can do any enrolling online.
    My Uni has that facility.

Also when you get there, you will fill out a form so they can make sure they got all your details right, you will pay your fee or give them the receipt from LEA, you confirm your course and choose any optional modules to go with the core modules. You get your student ID card and a letter confirming you are a full time student so you get exempt from Council Tax.
    Shouldn't take long....
    If it was anything like Salford Uni, it meant queing for fecking hours.
    If it was anything like Salford Uni, it meant queing for fecking hours.

If that is the case, I feel lucky I can enroll online. :yes:
    It's a diploma at college - there's no 'online' about it, unfortunately.

So I'm guessing it's just a lot of waiting around :chin:
    migpilot wrote:
    If that is the case, I feel lucky I can enroll online. :yes:
    For the past two years I've had to queue up for hours to enrol. They've just introduced online enrolement this year thank gawd. I don't think I could cope standing in those queues again.
    It's a diploma at college - there's no 'online' about it, unfortunately.

So I'm guessing it's just a lot of waiting around :chin:

Our college is, you basically show up, they give you a load of waffle about your course, seperate you into class groups (if it's a big course), take your money, give you your timetable, give you your kit and send you on your way.

But I must admit that's just my experience of my department - not even my whole college. They like to finish early and if they can, they will.
    i queued for about 3 hours when i was enrolling, only to get to the front of the queue to find that i didnt have the right form on me :mad: couldnt the person at the door who was checking the forms could have told me that 3 hours earlier?!!

consequently i had to come in the next day and queue for a further 2 hours.. twas fun.
    other people i know had to queue upwards from 6 hours though. poor them. .. i dont think our uni enrolment system is very organized!!
    Uni enrollment is a whole pile more hassle than college, college is pretty much like I said above. Take your music and be prepared to hang around and answer the same questions again and again.

Enjoy getting bored!
    You have to pay to go to college? :confused:
    Once you're 19 or olde ryes. But some courses mean you have to pay a kit fee.
    squeal wrote:
    You have to pay to go to college? :confused:
    Yep. My course would cost me £1700, but because I'm on benefits I only pay £135 for the kit (which would've been £700) and tuition fees are waived (£1000)
    There's absolutely no way I would've been able to attend this course if I wasn't on JSA. I just haven't got that sort of money and it's the only thing I want to study (and as a career) :no:
    I enrolled yesterday. We had to enrol online (to speed up the process) and then just go there for them to check the details and collect the student card.

They keep getting my card wrong. It says I'm doing Pharmacy on mine...
    Woo! All done. It took less than 2 hours too.

Mum came with me so it wasn't too bad (she was paying my fees!) and they were all helpful.

I have my induction day on tuesday, which I'm really looking forward to. No doubt I'll be as nervous as I was this morning, but who cares!!! I'm so chuffed, I'm official a student again!!! :thumb:
    Congrats! Excited for you. What classes are you taking?
    I'm doing a VAI Diploma in Theatrical and Media Makeup Artistry.:D
    Would you rather I walk around naked? :rolleyes:
    Who mentioned clothes in this thread? I'm on JSA to cover the costs of college, which it has done. I honestly do not see how clothing is relevant and why you've brought it up. Someone's spoiling for an argument it seems. One that I won't partake in.
    Back onto the subject of enrollment sort of.

I had my induction today and it went really really well. I love ALL the girls my group, they're all so nutty. The course looks so exciting, if not rather challenging, but I'm definitely happy. My course is being held in the same campus as the Car Mechanic's course, so lucky for me, LOTS OF MEN :thumb: :hyper:

....Bit miffed though because my makeup/hair kit hasn't arrived and won't for at least 2 weeks - all the other girls got theirs today :(
    ....Bit miffed though because my makeup/hair kit hasn't arrived and won't for at least 2 weeks - all the other girls got theirs today :(
    well i guess they need some sort of bonus for paying £1600 extra.
    There were at least 10 of us who had help with the Learner's Fund, and they all got theirs. I wasn't the only girl on benefits :no:
    So what kind of stuff do you do in this class? Or classes? Glad its good so far :)

How many people total in your classes?
    lipsy wrote:
    well i guess they need some sort of bonus for paying £1600 extra.

:o