Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Suitable shoes for work?

For 2 days a week, I have to work in a nursery as part of a work placement and need suitable shoes. Did have a look at some earlier, but could only find the really fancy shoes. (I don't like shoes like that) Would like something like ballet pumps, but are these really suitable for running around in?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    People say they are very very comfortable. Whats your dress code? Can you wear sneakers? I find Roos to be the uber of comfy.
    Dress code = work shirt, black trousers & suitable shoes. Parents did suggest black trainers, but that really doesn't look right.
    id go to clarks or scholls tbh for work shoes.
    yeh i was gonna suggest clarks. my work shoes are from clarks and they're so comfy. they're flat too and kinda cute. :D

they weren't meant to be work shoes but my other work shoes died. :grump:
    I use ballet shoes for college. And I don't half run in those! They're comfy enough.

ETA: Plus they're easy to slip on and off if you're in a rush, or taking 5 minutes with your feet under the desk, or if you trip over somehting and hurt your foot... (my main reason for liking them) or just when you get home and want to collapse and sleep!
    I can't wear ballet pumps - they fall off my feet :chin:

I tend to stick to knee length flat boots underneath trousers...
    I can't wear ballet pumps - they fall off my feet :chin:

You tried heel grips? I tried them earlier and my mum's shoes still fell off my feet. Then my silly dad went upstairs and brought a pair of his shoes down for me to try on.:rolleyes:
    I tend to stick to knee length flat boots underneath trousers...

I was going to wear my flat boots under trousers, but I got told that it was probably wasn't a good idea because my legs would get really hot or something like that.:confused:
    in some places boots aren't allowed. i know i wouldn't be able to wear them at work even if they were flat. must be a health and safety issue and i'd say working in a nursery they wouldn't be suitable.
    Sofie wrote:
    You tried heel grips? I tried them earlier and my mum's shoes still fell off my feet. Then my silly dad went upstairs and brought a pair of his shoes down for me to try on.:rolleyes:

I was going to wear my flat boots under trousers, but I got told that it was probably wasn't a good idea because my legs would get really hot or something like that.:confused:
    I've tried everything under the sun to keep them on my feet, but nothing works. I think I'll give up on ballet pumps forever!
    Oh, and I wear these under jeans every day and they don't get hot...:thumb:
    Oh, and I wear these under jeans every day and they don't get hot...:thumb:

I can't get the link to work, but if they're boots, they're still against health and safety in a lot of work places. Don't ask me why I really cannot be bothered to dig my books out (and therefore wont) but I know we can't (or aren't meant to)
    Nikki - they are boots. Thanks everyone for your help.
    Why would that be? Boots are cool. It's sandals they should be banning.
    Why would that be? Boots are cool. It's sandals they should be banning.
    Most places wont let you wear sandals in case you drop like a printer or something on your foot :yes:
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Most places wont let you wear sandals in case you drop like a printer or something on your foot :yes:

Which is fair enough. Don't understand why they wouldn't let anyone wear boots. Not that it would be agood idea for me anyway because I'll be running around after children... (and the one boots I have are walking boots and boots with no grip)
    Char_Baby wrote:

:yes: I've yet to find a place that allows open toed shoes... except for my current job, but you can't have open toed shoes if you work on the "floor." Health and saftey reason.
    Ballet pumps are great but the best ones I got are real ballet shoes from Dancia. They are soft soles and very supple and the uppers are satin. I added the satin ribbons to tie them on up the leg which I know sounds weird but no-one knows when you've got trousers or jeans on. And they were only £12. I got a black leather pair on order from e-bay for £4.95. Crazy prices!!
    I would go to somewhere like Stead and Simpsons and look for brands like clarks or hush puppies. I would forget fashion, go for something comfortable, probably slip ons with elasticated slits at the side- for ease of on/off and for a little 'give' when your feet swell up after standing up for hours. Otherwise I might get soft leathr lace-ups, a bit like a geeky girls school shoe, if that makes sens?

How many days are you going to be working? You might want to buy two pairs of shoes so that you don't sweat into shoes for many days on the trot. Or if you are good, or only part time, just make sure you take them off when you get home and let them air out.
    katralla wrote:
    I would forget fashion

That's what I planned on doing.
    Otherwise I might get soft leathr lace-ups, a bit like a geeky girls school shoe, if that makes sens?

This is exactly what I ended up going for in the end. Found it impossible to find anywhere that did decent shoes that weren't too expensive and didn't have a heel. (In general, I don't wear heels anyway because I can't walk with them properly:blush: )
    How many days are you going to be working? You might want to buy two pairs of shoes so that you don't sweat into shoes for many days on the trot. Or if you are good, or only part time, just make sure you take them off when you get home and let them air out.

2 days a week.
    This thread has inspired me to buy some ballet pumps :thumb:

Poor Joolyknockers though, with all my dithering last night over which pairs.
    I couldn't find any ballet pumps today:(
    These are the ones I liked

http://www.shellys.co.uk/p/54_273_4348/Lacey.html

and

http://www.barratts.co.uk/p/08_561_0056/Lollipop.html

Which are kinda work-y. There was some nice leopard print ones on the Barratts website too.
    Oooooo!!!!! Those Shelly ones are cute, I think I'm going shopping Saturday!!
    i just started work at this restaurant and the kitchen has like grease all over the floor so when you take plates in if you dont have some SERIOUSLY gripping shoes you fall flat on your face... so ive been wearing these awful ugly shoes that look fit for a 9 year old so today i bought some normal shoes but have to stick these little fucking rubber grips on the bottom... grrrr
    i know this doesnt really fit in but i was thinking about my shoes for work today and this thread just jumped out at me.
    Peacocks. Plain black all leather flat pumps for £12. Exactly the same as the ones in Topshop for £25. Comfortable, practicle. A great buy

They aren't listed in black on the website, but they're the same style as these.
    rachie004 wrote:
    when you say plain black does that mean no bows and no trim too? :D
    Small fixed bows, yes. Trim too, I think, not that you can notice though being black on black.
    Char_Baby wrote:
    http://www.barratts.co.uk/p/08_561_0056/Lollipop.html

Which are kinda work-y. There was some nice leopard print ones on the Barratts website too.
    I had those - ended up taking them back because they pressed on my big toe when I walked :( They were sooo cute otherwise.
    Char_Baby wrote:
    in which case, ballet pumps would offer excellent protection!
    My new shoes give me blisters :( is there anyway of preventing this? Even with platers on, I still managed to get blood on my socks:(
    I ordered the ones off Barratts and they came today

Well they would have come yesterday if not for the anal post mistress and her 'turned off computer' and 5.32 :mad:
    Sofie wrote:
    My new shoes give me blisters :( is there anyway of preventing this? Even with platers on, I still managed to get blood on my socks:(

This might sound stupid, but are they normal plasters or blister plasters? I found blister plasters great when I had some particularly evil new shoes a couple of years ago...