Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Building a new system

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As I don't like to rush into anything, I thought I'd let you tech gurus here have a once over with the following and make any comments / suggestions. Cheers me dears :D

Processor - Athlon64 AM2 3800+
Motherboard - Asus AM2 Deluxe something or other with inbuilt wireless etc.
Memory - 1gb matched kit pc4200 ddr2 by corsair -> need to check is compatible with motherboard
HDD - 160gb maxtor SATAII
Graphics card - silent/quiet Asus 7600GS 512mb
Case - Coolermaster centurion 5
PSU - xpro 460w silent (but with rubbish blue leds on the back)
optical drives - LG DVD+-RW with 12x ram (whatever that is :p)

thinking about getting a temperature sensor / 17in1 card reader for one of the front bays, not sure though.

Think thats it matey. I did write a really good post, with links and prices and that, but unfortunately I wasn't signed in so when I went to post it, it all dissappeared :(

eta: Am gonna get a 20.1" TFT monitor as well (yay)

eta again: also one of these cpu coolers (first one)

Comments

• smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    As I don't like to rush into anything, I thought I'd let you tech gurus here have a once over with the following and make any comments / suggestions. Cheers me dears :D

Processor - Athlon64 AM2 3800+
    Motherboard - Asus AM2 Deluxe something or other with inbuilt wireless etc.
    Memory - 1gb matched kit pc4200 ddr2 by corsair -> need to check is compatible with motherboard
    HDD - 160gb maxtor SATAII
    Graphics card - silent/quiet Asus 7600GS 512mb
    Case - Coolermaster centurion 5
    PSU - xpro 460w silent (but with rubbish blue leds on the back)
    optical drives - LG DVD+-RW with 12x ram (whatever that is :p)

thinking about getting a temperature sensor / 17in1 card reader for one of the front bays, not sure though.

Think thats it matey. I did write a really good post, with links and prices and that, but unfortunately I wasn't signed in so when I went to post it, it all dissappeared :(

eta: Am gonna get a 20.1" TFT monitor as well (yay)

eta again: also one of these cpu coolers (first one)

Nice system, I take it your building it yourself?

Also a good choice for choosing Corsair RAM, personally i find this the best and has good latency. If your thinking of possibly overclocking the processor then i suggest you do monitor your temperature when running processes.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea, seen a nice temp monitor here: http://www.moditory.com/content/view/70/34/ well, off OCUK but there's a review.

Considering whether I should invest in a better processor. For 15 quid I can get a dual core one. All adds up, mind you.
    Yea, seen a nice temp monitor here: http://www.moditory.com/content/view/70/34/ well, off OCUK but there's a review.

Considering whether I should invest in a better processor. For 15 quid I can get a dual core one. All adds up, mind you.

What mainly are you going to be using the machine for?

You could go for the dual core but that will mean a change of motherboard? i think and unless you need that sort of power do you really need it?

If primarily you want to play games, then the biggest factors of building a computer is the PSU, RAM and the graphics card.
    nah, AM2 motherboards accept X2 processors and non-dual-core processors, so it would be the same motherboard. I'm just thinking in the future there will be more applications that take advantage of dual core, so it might be worth it for future proofing. And I tend to do a bit of everything on my computer, really.
    Well the 3800+ processor isn't exactly going to be outdated for a while, and is capable of handling anything out now. In terms of future proofing then it could be a good idea. But as the mobo accepts both processors whats stopping you from upgrading the processor in a year or 2 from now? just sticking with the one listed.

Either way what ever one you go for there isn't a vast amount of difference between the two.
    yea they're both rated as 3800+, the more expensive one is just classified as dual core...
    The bonus with dual core is improved system performance for computers running multiple applications, enhanced performance for multi-threaded applications, support for more users or tasks for transaction-intensive applications. If your not running anything to heavy then i doubt you are going to see these differences.

What ever choice you make, it won't be a bad one :thumb:
    where gerbil et al?
    You might want to get a 4000 or 4200 as they are significantly better than the 3800 without going crazy on prices...

Also perhaps go for a 7800 as it'll get you farther in the future if you plan on playing games.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    *AHEM*! Late arrival.

Seems good mate. I would have to say though, maybe spend less on the case and buy either more RAM or a faster processor. Probably go with processor 'cos RAM is dead easy to put in later.

Good build overall. This Christmas, I intend to get a dual core for my PC, as they are phasing the old 939 socket out, so some bargins shall be had! Meheheheh!
    Aren't the new Intel chips quite a bit faster than the AMD ones?
    case is 40 squid :D and my old case, amazon are refunding the total cost!!

Thing is, 3800 x2 is 110 off this site, and 4200 are about 150 or so IIRC :(.

Besides, my 2500 barton never gave up the fight, just wanted more muscle all round.

as for intel chips, will have a quick looksie.

but i like the am2 set up
    Actually, I think you're looking more in the £200+ range for the new Intels. They are much better in most benchmarks though, which explains why AMD have just cut a load of prices.
    Actually, I think you're looking more in the £200+ range for the new Intels. They are much better in most benchmarks though, which explains why AMD have just cut a load of prices.

Not true.

One of hte PC mags tested them all. Intels are better at: Video Compression. (Think it might have been PC Shopper or something like that?) Except the mentaly expensive ones.

AMD are just better overall. The perform better in gaming and general office-type work tests. And if ou ARe going to splash out on a mentaly expensive processor - this is what you want. Plus you can overclock AMD's far more than Intels - Intels are hard to push much over what they come as without insane cooling.

AMD have dropped prices because - the are phasing out socket 939 for a newer one.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    AMD have dropped prices because - the are phasing out socket 939 for a newer one.
    Why have all the AM2 one's gone down recently then?
    Why have all the AM2 one's gone down recently then?

Wasn't aware they had. Either way, AMD is better for gaming. It's a proven fact.

Plus they run so much cooler, which is always good in summer.
    AMDs are more my price range. More bang for buck, as it were.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Wasn't aware they had.
    Yep. Right after I bought mine. :grump:
    http://www.xtsit.com/browse/product_details.php?id=10739&sr=2

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ AM2

Our Price: £ 79.97 (£ 93.96 inc VAT)

A <£100 dual core 64-bit AM2 processor :shocking: