Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stitches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone had them taken out?

I have rather a lot of big ones that are going to be taken out in about 10 days time. I'm being a wimp, does it hurt?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not a clue, i'm just being nosey and wondered why you have stitches? :p
    I've had plenty of stitches taken out. Where is it at? They don't hurt at all. Don't even feel anything. The only time I ever even felt something was when I had one in the bottem of my little toe in the crease, then I felt a tiny prick once. Its painless. Taking a bandaid off is more painfull.
    I've got a 7" line down my arse (since you ask) after surgery to get rid of a pilonidal sinus. Hurts rather a lot at the moment but its only 3 days old. There's a lot of stitches there and they aren't ickle simple ones.
    I had some on my hand a year or two ago, got them put on when I smashed my hand through the glass pane on my door when I was drunk (long story) and couldn't remember what the nurse said about them having to come out, so I left them in for weeks :yeees:

Nipped a bit when they came out, but if it's your arse then it'll probably be worse :nervous:
    i had an operation on my ear where they cut all along the crease behind your ear so i had some stitches there. didn't hurt when they came out just felt a bit funny. having said that i've lost some of the sensation there so..
    Bri-namite wrote:

Nipped a bit when they came out, but if it's your arse then it'll probably be worse :nervous:

I would think it would be alot less, being all fatty, maybe its just my ass but theres not a whole lot of feeling down there.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i had an operation on my ear where they cut all along the crease behind your ear so i had some stitches there. didn't hurt when they came out just felt a bit funny. having said that i've lost some of the sensation there so..
    i had that too...could feel them but couldnt feel any pain. huge blue things they were, ever so long, the nurse was quite bemused!
    Thanks guys.

I seem to have lost a lot of the feeling on the surface but yet still hurts. Not overly impressed. Will still load up on the painkillers but sounds like shouldn't be too bad, especially compared to everything else I've had done recently.

Arse may have less feeling but possibly more sensitive, I know I feel sharp pain in my arse far more than in hands as they take such a pounding in general life.
    Hurt is the wrong word. You might feel them going out, and there might be a little twinge, but nothing major. It's a bit like plucking a hair - the same pulling sensation.

My arse is also less sensitive than elsewhere Manda! I have injections in the top of my butt cheek fairly often, and don't even notice them. They have to tell me when I should pull my kecks back up.
    Having stitches out dosn't hurt like pain more like an odd twinge. Take some painkillers an hour or two before to take the edge off if your that worried.
    Yep - agree with freeallangels - take some painkillers a bit before. i've had two lots of stitches taken out of my back in recent years after two ops to remove dodgy looking moles. it IS more of a twinge than anything, and trust me on that cos i'm a complete wuss when it comes to pain - if it didn't hurt me, i'm sure you'll be fine. be safe and take care of yourself

love cavey
    xx
    When i had them taken out my tummy after having james they didn't hurt at all.
    The midwife sad it totally differs from person to person.
    I'll ignore the differs bit and just listen to the doesn't hurt, but hit the pain killers to make me feel better.

Thanks all.
    I had a Pilonidal sinus. I got stitches on my second op for it. It did hurt me when they took them out but mine were incredibly tight. Well, hurt maybe the wrong word. Definately felt it though.

Just take pain killers an hour or two before.
    Woot, I'm not the only one. Stitches for second operation too. They basically said stay lying down as much as possible, no sitting or even making that shape while it heals. Is yours all sorted now? I'd really like this to be the end of all the problems with it and to get my arse back to being mine.
    Mine healed up completely last January. Err, January 2005 that is. I haven't had any problems since. Hopefully, thats the end of it. :D
    Cheers, you just made my day. I am going mad lying in bed and was half regretting saying yes. You can be pleased with yourself, you just made a very miserable girl smile.:)
    No problem. :)

The best bit is, I was told the older you get the less likely you'll have another one. :)
    Yup, at some point someone said to me they were almost unheard of in people over 40, I could just put up with it til then. I was 19 at the time, not impressed, especially as he had just told me I wasn't typical, I'm blonde (with v little body hair), active, not overweight and female. Absolutely zero trigger factors there.
    had some taken out of my chin, didnt hurt at all..
    I was 19 when I had mine. It was an absolute bugger to heal but it got there in the end.

I think anyone can get them. I know a woman who had one when she was young and she didn't fit the profile either. She only had it the one time so you probably won't get another one. :)
    You know how to make a girl happy, agree with you on the bugger to heal thing, not sure which was worse, the packing or the stitches.
    I really didn't like the packing. It was ok at first when the wound was deep enough to keep it in but as it healed it just became more and more of a hassle. The stitches were a little better but I was worried about breaking them and I was pretty much restricted to lying in bed or on the sofa.

You can imagine how happy I was when it finally healed over! :D
    I'm looking forward to being that happy!

Am lucky as we have wireless at home, so have laptop lying in bed. My stitches seem to be struggling a bit on the bottom bit so I am being a good girl and lying in bed pretty much 24/7. The packing was also uniquely painful.
    I had butterfly stitches in my chin at the age of 6 when I had an accident in school. But that's it thankfully. And hopefully that that will be the last time I have them.

But I dont think butterfly stitches compare to the stitches your talking about.
    Well I just had more put in as it seems some of the original ones had escaped. Mine are chunky deep ones, sadly not butterfly ones but thanks. I've come to an agreement with my practise nurse now, she reckons I have suffered enough so I can now have entonox anytime I want.