You may be asked to reset your password when you try to login. This is part of a system update and is genuine, so it's safe to go ahead and do that. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to register, please email us at [email protected] rather than creating a new account. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Feminist mouths off Steve Irwin.

2456789

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was wondering why Steve Irwin had feminist mouths.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was wondering why Steve Irwin had feminist mouths.
    He always sticks up for the Sheilas.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sheila's Wheels?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The crux of the matter is that Germaine's comment had no relevance whatsoever to her feminist viewpoints.

    If she had been commenting on the damage that Steve Irwin's high profile had done to the careers of female crocodile hunters or something like that then the fact that she is an outspoken feminist talking head would be of the utmost relevance. But, as is, it smacks of sensationalism and "oh, not those parade-raining, ordinary-Joe-ostracising feminists" again :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shes lots of things. Why did you choose feminist?
    Why didnt you say 67 year old, or why didnt you just say Germaine Greer?
    I dont know perhaps because she is best known for her feminist book "The Female Eunuch"?

    As you can see in the original link I posted.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/06/death.irwin.greer/index.html
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well it's no different from saying "Muslim leader says....." for something that isn't a religious issue. Thier religious beliefs might not be relevant to the issue, but if that is one of the defining characteristics of their public image, then journalists will refer to them using that characteristic.

    Well it would be relevant if he was talking of something which effects all Moslems (or which they claim do), for example the Iraq war. But if he said something about Irwin which was his personal views rather than on behalf of the Moslem community (or the portion he would claim to represent) why would you say 'Moslem leader'
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SophiA wrote:
    Yes I think we're familiar with The Female Eunuch. What we're asking is, HOW is her being a feminist relevant to her views on Steve Irwin?
    She is a femenist. If I wrote the same title but used "women" instead, would you be asking how its relivant to her views?

    Its not about how I wrote the title, which is obviously more shocking & offending to some of you than what she said.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SophiA wrote:
    Yes I think we're familiar with The Female Eunuch. What we're asking is, HOW is her being a feminist relevant to her views on Steve Irwin?

    I'm not and to be honest I'd rather have blunt nails hammered through my eyeballs than have to read it, but I agree with the sentiment.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SophiA wrote:
    It matters to me because I'm a feminist and headlines like that are a clear attempt to demonise and discredit all feminists by associating Greer's views on the death of a well-liked public figure with the feminist movement. It's not relevant, at all, anymore than mentioning her sex or her sexuality or her age or her religion or her ethnicity would be. She's speaking in her capacity as Germaine Greer, author, academic and social critic, not Germaine Greer, feminist.

    Anyway, I've already said what I think about her views. I liked Steve Irwin a lot, and I think Germaine has been tactless and insensitive with this, especially so soon after his death. BUT she's got a point with a lot of the comments she made. Read the Guardian article, I think she's right about him not always treating the animals with the respect and caution they deserve. Well, clearly she's right, because look what's happened.
    This is why I didnt post it in this section anyway. :banghead:

    I dont care if you or anyone else is a feminist. This is why I didnt want it to be posted in this section, because instead of talking about what was originaly in post one about her talking about Steve, people like you always think this is an attempt to "demonise and discredit all feminists" cult, when it had nothing to do with what I posted.

    Get over yourself, I dont give a shit weather you are sleeping with Germaine Greer, this aint about you! Jees
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    Well it would be relevant if he was talking of something which effects all Moslems (or which they claim do), for example the Iraq war. But if he said something about Irwin which was his personal views rather than on behalf of the Moslem community (or the portion he would claim to represent) why would you say 'Moslem leader'
    Because you identify people in the public eye based on what they are most famous for. Germaine Greer isn't just a feminist, she is famous for being a feminist, and that is what most people recognise her as. It's just a way of putting as much information into the headline as possible, and all newspapers do it (rightly or wrongly). They could've said "Germaine Greer" but then they would've had to have mentioned that she was known for being a feminist in the first paragraph anyway, and we'd still be having the same argument about why it's relevent. It isn't relevent, but newspapers try and fit as much information about a person in a small space. They wouldn't write about the pope without mentioning he's a catholic either.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    I'm not and to be honest I'd rather have blunt nails hammered through my eyeballs than have to read it, but I agree with the sentiment.
    The paragraph I read was quite funny actually. What? Hey I was doing a course on film studies and it was only in the suggested reading, not the required reading.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SophiA wrote:
    It's fine because I'm off now anyway.
    Good.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SophiA wrote:
    what a fucking bitch!
    Spot on, couldnt have described her any better.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The paragraph I read was quite funny actually. What? Hey I was doing a course on film studies and it was only in the suggested reading, not the required reading.

    Students today... when I was at Uni getting us to read the required reading was next to impossible, the suggested reading was never touched. You'll be saying that you used to get your essays in on time next :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    Students today... when I was at Uni getting us to read the required reading was next to impossible, the suggested reading was never touched. You'll be saying that you used to get your essays in on time next :D
    I was doing that thing where you're about 500 words short so you go through all the books looking for a few length quotes to flesh it out a bit. And if you're gonna do that, you need to use a book that the lecturer doesn't know too well so you can take it out of context. Nothing worse than doing it with the lecturers own book, and him saying "actually, that's not what I was saying at all." :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SophiA wrote:
    Totally different incidentally because the Pope is leader of the Catholic church and can be assumed to be speaking in behalf of the catholic church. Germaine Greer is not speaking on behalf of feminism.
    Yes, but if someone is in the public eye primarily for their belief system, then they will be referred to as a 'feminist' or a 'marxist' or a 'black rights activist' or whatever they may identify themselves as. One of the reasons I always refuse to give myself labels though, because people then start to assume things about you.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    HIT wrote:
    She is a femenist. If I wrote the same title but used "women" instead, would you be asking how its relivant to her views?

    Well yes, because that would be grammatically incorrect too.

    Greer is a feminist, but that doesn't mean all her opinions are what feminists think, and that doesn't mean she can't have other opinions outside of this.

    I happen to think that she's got a point with what she says, and that, whilst it's a bit lacking in tact to say it two days after his death, I respect the fact that she doesn't piss about and worry what people think of her.

    The fact that she is a feminist is irrelevant for any intelligent and sensible person, but sadly you are neither. You just hate to think that a woman has an opinion on anything, don't you?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    Well yes, because that would be grammatically incorrect too.

    Greer is a feminist, but that doesn't mean all her opinions are what feminists think, and that doesn't mean she can't have other opinions outside of this.

    I happen to think that she's got a point with what she says, and that, whilst it's a bit lacking in tact to say it two days after his death, I respect the fact that she doesn't piss about and worry what people think of her.

    The fact that she is a feminist is irrelevant for any intelligent and sensible person, but sadly you are neither. You just hate to think that a woman has an opinion on anything, don't you?
    Oh yes Kermit, spot on again. I hate women..... :rolleyes:

    In case (well obviously) you haven't realised yet. This isn't about targeting feminist. If I was well known as say a top footballer, then a headline like "top footballer speaks out" would be as appropriate title.

    Your looking for an argument arnt you? :rolleyes:

    Really none of you are bothered about what the bitch ( :nervous: ) said, your just annoyed that I chose to use the title feminist. Well if it bothers you that much that you have to go o/t make another thread.

    I wouldn't have cared nor did I really even acknowledge feminism before, but after reading through this thread I am beginning to dis like them. As with every cult, the world is against them in there opinion.

    She has a point what she said?

    "He would tell you how dangerous they were and he would proceed to intrude on their space and humiliate (them) really -- treat them with massive insensitivity," she said. "It's no surprise he came to grief."

    Really the man has no feelings for animals?

    The man owned a fucking zoo, where he took great care of animals.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2hy7OAlMk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i love feminists (of the cute sexy lesbian/bi kind)

    had to be said :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i love feminists (of the cute sexy lesbian/bi kind)
    All jokes aside though. This thread has turned from discussing what she said, to why feminists are always targeted.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    HIT wrote:
    This isn't about targeting feminist. If I was well known as say a top footballer, then a headline like "top footballer speaks out" would be as appropriate title.

    Why is her political activism an issue?

    Ms Greer has a name, why not use it?

    If the Pope spoke out you'd have said "the Pope spoke out", because that's his name. If David Beckham had spoken out you'd have said "Beckham speaks out", so why is the same courtesy not extended to those nasty little feminists?

    So what if Irwin owned a zoo? He loved animals enough to keep them in captivity and make money out of them as exhibits? What was wrong with their natural habitat?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    SophiA wrote:
    Yes you go back to "what a fucking bitch!"

    What a fascinating thread that will be.

    I think "bitch" is fairly apt considering what she has to say about men -

    "freaks of nature, fragile, fantastic, bizarre"; "idiot savants"; "full of queer obsessions about fetishistic activities and arbitrary goals, doomed to competition and injustice not merely towards females, but towards children, animals and other men"; "men are surplus to requirements"

    "Men are much more trouble than they're worth. Sisters are doing it for themselves. Discarded males of all ages loiter in the streets, looking for trouble to get into and finding no lack of it. Male security guards shoot male football fans in Bratislava, male fans howl racist abuse and hurl chairs at each other, males train as suicide bombers, male heads of state stroll about discussing whether they could get away with another shooting war on the women and children of Iraq...The Beltway Sniper turned out to be a man. And those "children" ejected from school for threatening to kill their teachers are actually boys."

    Clear misandry of the highest order.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    However quite a fair bit of it is true.

    Still, easier to wank on about how awful she is than deal with the issues she raises, eh?

    And I speak as someone who cannot stand Greer.
Sign In or Register to comment.