Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Post of the 2 weeks

2»

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    HIT wrote:
    So what do you win?

A TheSite.org wristband or an octopus :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I mean, I could never go out with someone who said they they just brought something instead of bought something from the shop, or who said pacifically instead of specifically. Thats my prerogative, and it has no relation to the fact that I sometimes dont start sentances with capital letters if i`m typing fast.
    I'm really bad for mixing up your and you're. But that's more because I don't proof read anything before I click submit/send :o

I do correct it if I notice though.
    Infinite wrote:
    I'm really bad for mixing up your and you're. But that's more because I don't proof read anything before I click submit/send :o

I do correct it if I notice though.
    Well im sorry infinite, but Sophia and I are going to have to retract our offer of a date with you now!
    sophia wrote:
    Although, as a spelling and gramar pedant, it's quite shameful that I appear to have omitted the full stop from the end of that post. :o

Do you mean grammar pendant? :p
    \
    **Helen** wrote:
    Do you mean grammar pendant? :p
    is that like a prefect badge on a chain?
    is that like a prefect badge on a chain?

Doh - all this correcting is getting confusing :D let's just face it - none of us can type. For the record, I've written your instead of you're before, when I was a journo - my editor used to growl at me everytime!
    Yeah but youre Helen. I could make an exception!
    I personally blame my brain for thinking too fast. It doesn't have time for crappy grammar corrections :o
    \
    Can you start a sentance with "Also"?
    \
    Yeah but youre Helen. I could make an exception!

I like that idea :angel:
    Well im sorry infinite, but Sophia and I are going to have to retract our offer of a date with you now!

Grammar Nazis!

GrammarNazi.jpg
    sophia wrote:
    Agreed. Also, people who think it's "would of" instead of "would have"....it just would never work out. I could never respect them. :razz:

:crying:

I do that. It's more like "would av" but it probably sounds like "would of" to everyone else.

Other than that, I am a huge spelling, grammar and correct-usage-of-the-English-language nazi but I'm softening in my old age as unfortunately my other half has awful grammar and no concept that saying things like "he's went to the shop" is WRONG.
    \
    Good, me too :D
    sophia wrote:

I'm not a grammar pedant about spoken language, only written.

But isn't it the spoken language that leads people who struggle with spelling to get it wrong in the first place? I've got a friend who sometimes writes 'are' instead of 'our' because that's how he says it. I also don't take issue with how people speak, just something I've noticed.
    There were about 20 spelling and grammatical errors in the subtitles for that Adrenaline Junkie show with Jack Osbourne last week, I nearly had an aneurysm yet no one else who was watching it cared one jot :lol:

There's a definite link between the way some people say things (and that takes into account local dialects too, jeez!) and their competency at spelling. I know a lot of people who write things as they'd say them, and when you've got a broad Geordie accent it can be nightmarish to decipher!
    **Helen** wrote:
    A TheSite.org wristband or an octopus :)
    I want to win this then as I want an octopus :yes:
    sophia wrote:
    Oh I don't mean when you're talking, everyone says "I would've...blah blah". It's when they write "I would of" instead of "I would have" that it annoys me.

I'm not a grammar pedant about spoken language, only written.
    Have any of you "Grammar Nazis" read Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss? I'm thinking of getting it.

Review of it is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Zero-Tolerance-Approach-Punctuation/dp/1861976771/sr=1-1/qid=1157628855/ref=pd_bowtega_1/202-1281854-7591038?ie=UTF8&s=books
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Have any of you "Grammar Nazis" read Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss? I'm thinking of getting it.

Review of it is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Zero-Tolerance-Approach-Punctuation/dp/1861976771/sr=1-1/qid=1157628855/ref=pd_bowtega_1/202-1281854-7591038?ie=UTF8&s=books

I've got it. It's good. With that price of £3.99 you can't really go wrong either!
    unless youve only got £4 to last you a week.
    **Helen** wrote:
    But isn't it the spoken language that leads people who struggle with spelling to get it wrong in the first place? I've got a friend who sometimes writes 'are' instead of 'our' because that's how he says it. I also don't take issue with how people speak, just something I've noticed.

that's what I think too.
    I mean my english is horrible, even tho I use it a lot, but it's just not my mother's tongue.

I see a lot of native english speakers tho, and just cannot understand why they make certain mistakes. I mean, you CAN misspell consciousness or neighbour, or receive, but "would of" instead of "would have" makes no sense at all, and is only derived from the spoken short from "would've".