Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

young women - it's your world

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You must've missed the rush hour. Time distance I guess. You would've had to have been up early.
  • Options
    I saw this documentary once. They interviewed a group of highly successful women who were on their way to the top and had really good careers to look forward too. Anyway, most of them gave up their careers so they could have a family life. They settled for jobs which had fewer hours and were less demanding so they could spend more time with their kids.

Maybe there are fewer women "at the top" because there's a lower percentage of women who don't want kids?
  • Options
    Women are as intelligent, able and competent as men.

Do you agree? Because much of the arguements here seems to boil down to that question.
  • Options
    its all rape
  • Options
    It's worth bearing in mind that arrogance isn't knowledge and that if people are offended by your posts it's for a reason - not because because they fail to see your oh so insight view of the world.
  • Options
    lol @ kermit's textbook answers.
  • Options
    it's true that I have healthy relationships

I'm sorry but you can't ignore your previous posts and claim that
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    I agree that women are as intelligent, able and competent as men. I just don't think it's fair to demonize men because of the actions of a few men at the top.

Especially because they are just as likely to screw me over (given my background) than they are a woman. Oppression (suppression is a better word) is everywhere.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    This thread is comedy gold! Ad hominem attacks all over the place and it's even kept the board moderator at his job until 1am (I hope he gets overtime).

I'm nominating MattLiverpool to go on BBC radio 4's 'The Moral Maze' and thrash this out with Melanie Phillips and Portillo - Huzzah!!!
  • Options
    Back To The Kitchen With Ye All!
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    There's no reason why politics has to be aggressive...maybe it's aggressive because it's so male dominated, but it doesn't have to be.

I'm not moaning, but thanks for that anyway. You're saying that if women want to be in politics, they have to become more aggressive and confrontational, because it's a competitive environment. But that's getting it the wrong way round. Politics doesn't have to be about aggression, competition, defeating your adversary. It could also be about cooperation, trying to reach consensus, understanding those who are different from you and compromising.

And then, there's no reason why anyone should be discriminated against on the basis of their lack of testosterone.

To quote George Washington : " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force "

Similarly, politics is not "cooperation, consensus, mutual understanding, compassion, respect, consideration, tolerance", it is aggression and violence.

Those attributes are usually only used in deciding to whom that aggression and violence is directed.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Oh lucky us. We get to have sex with rich powerful people, hurrah! We rarely get to be powerful ourselves, unless we're lucky enough to be one of the loophole women who slips through and makes it to the top of a male dominated profession,

who needs real power or status?

Could you supply your definition of "power" ?

I`m getting an implied feeling (admittedly it`s mostly from others but occasionally from you) that power over others is a desirable thing.

If the goal of "feminism" is to remove that yoke of supposed male dominance, do you believe that a desire for dominance is the way to go ?

That appears to be like a slave yearning to be a slave master,instead of craving an abolition of slavery. I would have thought that abolition is the best way to achieve that feminist goal :chin:
    sophia wrote:
    I personally harbour ambitions of achieiving things for myself, and becoming a successful person in my own right,

Good luck to you, but I hope that doesn`t include any "slavemaster" role.
  • Options
    I said Women are born players, that does not mean they only have sex for money or power, that IS stupid, you all tend to take it totally out of context without looking at it realistically.

It's odd how in one sentence you claim that the hunter-gatherer instincts are still strong in our society, and in the very next you claim the exact opposite.

The hunter-gatherer instincts are for men to spread their seed far and wide, and for women to settle and rear young with the strongest male they can find. If you agree that this is still relevant then fine- and I know you do, because you've used it as justification for men sleeping around in the past. But you can't then argue the exact opposite of this in the very next sentence. Pick a stance and stick to it.
    It seems to me a lot fo the members here are people who have had bad bad relationships and get fucked over by a player(male or female) so they are VERY touchy and still remain in a subservient state which means they act like a wussy because they think it is giving "respect" or it's the "decent thing to do".

I think the fact that I have a strong and secure relationship with a woman who is my equal, and have had one for five years now, suggests otherwise:)
  • Options
    Lets try not to make this personal - and keep discussing the issues.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Jesus, who knew relationships were so complicated?

I liked a girl, she liked me, now we're together. I need some kind of strategy to get the most from this :chin:

I feel like I've missed out on something. I'm going to retreat to my secret man cave and plot every single move in this relationship, based upon how many gender acted thousands of years ago. Oh oh, I can draw diagrams! :hyper:

What's that.....my shadow! Quick, I need to throw rocks at it! Die shadow, die!

Now, to invent fire so that I can attract women to my cave and encourage them to take their clothes off.

Or, I could go on one of those websites, The Ladder Theory or similar, and have a 49 year old virgin, who still lives with his mother, educate me on attracting women through the fabricated and wholly unbelievable stories he invented while sitting in his pants, eating whotsits.

Yeah, that'd make my relationship much better.
  • Options
    I didn't realise how difficult it is for you to comprahend that hunter gather instincts act on an subconcious level and that there is more than one factor involved.

You know, it feels strange to say this but I think I understand where you're coming from, in a way. I find it interesting, anyway.

I wonder, do you ever feel like you're overcomplicating things for yourself, though? I've played games and implemented plans of action with blokes before along the lines of making them feel like they're that "hunter" cliche because it's a win/win situation. While they aren't exactly along the lines of the strategies you seem to use but they're similar and I can understand why you employ them because I always got the exact result and dynamic of [perceived] power that I wanted (usually bringing them to their knees, not necessarily literally). But these days I feel like I really can't be arsed with that kind of thing. Maybe it's just laziness, or maybe I'm maturing like an expensive cheese :p
  • Options
    i think a lot of people play mind games and its not surprising when you read so many articles in maagazines and on the internet about 'how to make him fall for you' etc. my friend has a book called 'the rules' and swears by it. im certainly guilty of it myself although i don't really bother these days because i like to know exactly where i stand and it makes things a lot less complicated.

i can see where matt is coming from though. blame the media.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Oh, I can totally understand people following all these systems and what not but it's so much effort and I really don't think that any relationship based around strategising and planning every move is going to be a happy one.

If you are more successful matt, I don't think it's due to the games, more despite them.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Like Infinite said, I liked someone, he liked me back, we're together now, we're upfront and honest about how we feel about each other, we talk through problems like adults....I think that's far, far more likely to make us both happy in the long run than constructing elaborate schemes to, as Matt has said in the past, make her feel insecure, and so that she knows he could leave he at any point.
    Matt has already said though that hes had problems with girls in the past and if this method is working for him right now then thats why he is so sure of it -i really can see where he is coming from. however its obviously not a mature way to deal with relationships and i'm sure he will learn this from his own experiences and mistakes.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    he'll learn that in his own time
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Women are as intelligent, able and competent as men.

Do you agree? Because much of the arguements here seems to boil down to that question.

They don't. What the contention really boils down to is whether disproportionately male-dominated (or, indeed, female-dominated) spheres can be anything else, given psychological difference between men & women.
  • Options
  • Options