Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Good customer service

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sophia wrote:
    Clearly, I wasn't "giving you permission" for anything I was pointing out the rather obvious fact that you seemed to be missing.

And I was pointing out I don't have the option you describe.
    sophia wrote:
    When they were rude, unpleasant, impatient and expected to be a robot or machine that exists entirely for their convenience, then I wasn't as helpful, and neither was anyone else I worked with. If you treat people who work in service industries as though their entire purpose in life is to attend to your every whim and demand, don't be surprised if you find them obstructive or unhelpful.

I've already said I don't want to be treated that way!!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    You've said that if you're in a hurry, then they should suddenly up the speed they're working at and hurry along to make your life easier.

Well you ARE there to serve the customer within reason.
    sophia wrote:
    Unfortunately if we did that for everyone, we'd have a heart attack from the stress of it. There's only so fast any human being can work (which varies from person to person), and we can't go any quicker just because you've left it till the last five minutes of your lunchbreak to go shopping.

Firstly I'm not saying you should go like lightening, just be mindful that people don't have as much time as you do. Secondly it's none of your business why I may only have a few minutes!
  • Options
    True no-one is holding a gun to my head but when there's only one 'convenience' shop between my home and workplace, my options are severely reduced.

Which is your problem, and yours only.
  • Options
    Yes, my fault because I'm not campaigning for more shops to be built, silly me.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Yes, my fault because I'm not campaigning for more shops to be built, silly me.

Not your fault, but it isn't anyone else's problem.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I know it's not. But if you're in a hurry and there's a queue, that doesn't make you suddenly the most important person in the universe whose needs must be attended to above everyone else's. Either put up with the queue like everyone else is having to, or walk out, but don't presume you're somehow more important than every other customer in the place.

For the third or fourth time, I've said I don't presume to be more important than anyone else. I'm aware that you people have a job to do (I used to do it myself, I worked in Tandy's for 18 months) and that you're only human - I really don't like being referred to as 'sir' even though it's obvious that manners dictate it.

You are there to serve customers. Not worship them or anything daft like that, but if there's a large queue, in order to get that queue reduced then doing things like chatting away when you should be moving on to the next person isn't going to help you.
  • Options
    You are there to serve customers. Not worship them or anything daft like that, but if there's a large queue, in order to get that queue reduced then doing things like chatting away when you should be moving on to the next person isn't going to help you.

No it won't help, but it doesn't really make any difference. As Sophia already pointed out in retail you get paid the same pittance whether you are busy or not. It makes no difference to your working day.
  • Options

But you're not exactly just going to ignore them, are you?
  • Options
    No it won't help, but it doesn't really make any difference. As Sophia already pointed out in retail you get paid the same pittance whether you are busy or not. It makes no difference to your working day.

But if a shop gets the repuation of having slow service, don't you think that will be a problem?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But you're not exactly just going to ignore them, are you?

Clearly I've not suggested they be ignored.
  • Options
    But if a shop gets the repuation of having slow service, don't you think that will be a problem?
    No. Because people will shop there nonetheless.
  • Options
    No. Because people will shop there nonetheless.

Possibly if there are no other options. Just as long as the shop with the slow service doesn't complain when another opens locally and customers abandon them in droves.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Have you ever been into Primark on a Saturday afternoon?

Thankfully never ;)
    sophia wrote:
    The queues are about half an hour long. That's if you're lucky. People shop there because it's cheap, and accept the fact that everyone else is doing the same thing and that if they want to but their £3 t shirt, then they may have to wait in line to do it.

And there's nothing really wrong with that. If the queues are long because the place is busy then that's just one of those things.

But when the delay is because of people chatting when they should have moved on to the next customer, that's when I object.
  • Options
    It's sometimes a lot easier said than done to cut off a conversation with a customer without coming across as rude and abrupt. If they're intent on having a half hour conversation with you, it can sometimes be insanely difficult to shut them up and move onto the next customer.
  • Options
    Booty is probably putting stuff across in the wrong way here, but he does have a point. It can be annoying when you're waiting in a long queue, and the checkout assisstant has stopped actually working to have a chat with their mate about random stuff.

After all, the checkout people are being paid to do work, not gossip, and the customers, meanwhile, are not being paid to stand in an ever-growing line waiting whilst the assisstant sorts out their social life.

There's valid points on both sides, as there's nothing wrong with people being aimiable, obviously, but, at the end of the day, the people on the checkouts are there to cash stuff up and take people's money, not provide a counselling session.

So to say that having a chat might be giving good service to some old folk might be true. But actually getting on and serving the rest of the line would probably be seen as good service by other people who are being kept waiting.

So there you go, you can't win if you're a checkout person, that's your answer.
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    I get so wound up with bad customer service, and I've always found Tescos to be really bad for it! Obviously I'm not including you in that, I've never been through your till! But there's been so many times I've walked away from tills things like - 'Nowt like good customer service!' and 'Cashback? No? Fancy asking?' It really gets on my nerves. Asda's the same, and a load of the young lasses at Morrisons (and you tend to get better service when you actually work there, I find, so God knows what they're like with 'proper' customers!)

I don't even expect exceptionally good customer service, y'know? The automatic pleases and thankyous do me fine, however monotonous. It's nice if you get a laugh and a chat but on a long shift you can only be happy smiley for so long and I appreciate that. What I really cannot bear is straight out bad customer service. Like when you're going through the checkout and the lass on the till is too busy having a chat with the girl behind them to realise you're standing there. Or, one that really sticks in my mind is going to top-up my mobile one night and the lass who did it didn't say one single word to me throughout the entire transaction. I couldn't believe it.

There's just no need.

ETA: Last time I called O2 up I had a really nice guy who sorted me out the best deal for me, and actually listened when I told him that the average amount of texts and call time since I got my contract isn't reflective of how much I'm using now, and hence why I wanted to change my contract. That really impressed me, especially cos the guy I spoke to before him told me a load of crap and fobbed me off with excuses, and I always expect to get bad customer service from O2, not sure why?

Had great customer service today when I did some shopping after work, the guy on the till was great and I know he's consistent cos as we left my mum said to me - 'do you know him? I've been through his till a few times, he seems such a nice bloke.' Morrisons has won The Grocer Magazine's Customer Service award two years running (:thumb:) so we should be pretty damn good, but I think we're as hit and miss as anywhere else, really.

i'm always in the least polite - as in saying hello/goodbye and smiling but it can be hard to strike up a conversation with customers if they really don't seem like the type or don't institgate it first. some people like to just get on with it and pack their shopping, some like to chat which i like. i feel like a right moose sitting there for 5 minutes putting all their shopping through without saying much! another point, believe it or not there is some extent of concentration needed working on the tills so it can be hard to have a full blown conversation. you also don't want to hold up the rest of the queue who think you're being rude!
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Booty is probably putting stuff across in the wrong way here, but he does have a point. It can be annoying when you're waiting in a long queue, and the checkout assisstant has stopped actually working to have a chat with their mate about random stuff.

After all, the checkout people are being paid to do work, not gossip, and the customers, meanwhile, are not being paid to stand in an ever-growing line waiting whilst the assisstant sorts out their social life.

Thank you - that's the point I was trying (and miserably failing) to put across :)
  • Options
    i'm always in the least polite - as in saying hello/goodbye and smiling but it can be hard to strike up a conversation with customers if they really don't seem like the type or don't institgate it first. some people like to just get on with it and pack their shopping, some like to chat which i like. i feel like a right moose sitting there for 5 minutes putting all their shopping through without saying much! another point, believe it or not there is some extent of concentration needed working on the tills so it can be hard to have a full blown conversation. you also don't want to hold up the rest of the queue who think you're being rude!

Heh, that's why I'd be shit on checkouts! Customers usually only talk to me if they want something, so it's all good. I'm really bad at small talk, and like you said I'd feel a right miserable cow if I didn't say a word while I was putting someone's shopping through.

Hello, please, thanks, bye though. It shouldn't even need thinking about, that's why I get so riled up when I don't hear it. :grump:
  • Options
    I fucking hate Morrisons.

Had this bloke the other day, I was second in the queue and this nonce was swiping the womans things through but labouring over it. He even picked up a Gateau at one point and started reading through the ingredients.

And they dont let you buy anything at the cigarette kiosk other than papers and fags, had a right barney with one once cause he wouldnt let me buy a bottle of water. I wasnt going to go buy the paper with him then go back and queue at the tills for a measley bottle of water. Wanted to stick the bottle right down his fucking jobsworth throat.
  • Options
    Some more good service - Amazon.co.uk

Last april I bought an Antec sonata case for 70 quid. On the blink a bit - amazon are going to refund the cost completely :D. It was a bit out of date then, so I can get a brand new case now. Any suggestions? :D
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I fucking hate Morrisons.

Agreed. I was in Morrisson's about 3 years ago, when i was really ill through PN, and had a lot of difficulty in walking. I went to the cigarette counter, made my purchase, asked 'Can i have a bag please', 'They're at the end of the counter', 'Could you get one for me please as i'm having trouble walking today', 'I've got other customers besides you to worry about, get it yourself.'

I spoke to her supervisor, store manager, phoned Morrisson's and wrote to them. I got a letter back stating that the cigarette counter can get quite busy and that staff have to 'prioritise' their time !

What a load of useless c***s.
  • Options
    Lil Laura wrote:
    I'd feel a right miserable cow if I didn't say a word while I was putting someone's shopping through.

Be like Caroline Aherne in The Fast Show.

*beep* Ooo red wine, gives me the shits that does. *beep* 36 condoms, you're a dirty cow aren't ya ? *beep* Tena Lady, yeah me nan pisses herself too.
  • Options
  • Options
    I never notice really good customer service as it is something that I expect. When I was on tills I was always polite and whenever I go into a shop / enquire about something I am always polite.

It is *bad* customer service I remember. We have had poor customer service in our local B&Q in the past. It is this that I remember more.

Same with me. I only really notice bad customer service
  • Options
    from my experience my least favourite supermarket would be sainsburys. not because of bad customer service but my local store only ever has about 3 tills open.

i've had 2 customers in nearly 5 years working at tesco that have reduced me to tears. grr. :grump:
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Till people rule! We rule!!
    You bloody till people, you get all the glory.
    What about us shelfstackers?! (Admittedly I quit that job a couple of years ago, but I still have allegiance)
  • Options
    well yes shelf stackers do tend to go pretty much unnoticed by the customers but hey, we're on the front line!