Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Death - I don't get it

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is just plain weird, but lately I've been thinking about death and can't get my head around it. It's weird in a few ways, because firstly I don't want to disappear just yet - in fact, I think I should be doing more with my life, socially and career wise, and so want to make the most of it (I'm 22). So I don't know why I'm thinking about death. Secondly, I just can't get my head around there being "nothing" after we die.

If you're as freaked out as I am, then my apologies.

Comments

• Options
    im exactly the same.

I often find myself thinking about death, and i cant get my head around it either.

Its the whole conciousness of life, and then when your dead everything will carry on but you wont know that as they'll be no conciousness :confused: and its just a whole load of nothingness, even though its not nothingness because other life still goes on...

so yeh, your not the only one i just thought you may be interested to know!

(im nearly 22 and have been thinking about this for as long as i can remember...)
  • Options
    I always believe in rebirth. So when you die it's just a new beginning in someone's tummy. Be it the daughter of a woman in Zaire, be it one of seven puppies of an Labrador...

When I had my surgery I had a general anaesthetic and everything was BLACK. As soons as I got the injection everything went black. Until I woke up again.
    Now I think this is being dead is like.
    1000 years are a second and vice versa. A timeless black void.
    I put a lot of thought in death already.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not too fuzzed really. I do believe in an afterlife, but even if there's absolutely nothing what's to worry about? If you don't exist you simply don't exist. You're not there, you don't know you're not there etc. It has nothing to do with you anymore.
    Of course I don't want to die, but I see no point in worrying about what happens afterwards, especially if you don't believe in an afterlife. I don't mean to brag or anything, but I went through that phase when I was 8...
  • Options
    I have been fascinated by death for as long as I can remember. I read alot and all the different writers have different views on the afterlife.

Although my personal view on death is this: In the words of Peter Pan
    'What is death but the next great adventure'
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote:
    This is just plain weird, but lately I've been thinking about death and can't get my head around it. It's weird in a few ways, because firstly I don't want to disappear just yet - in fact, I think I should be doing more with my life, socially and career wise, and so want to make the most of it (I'm 22). So I don't know why I'm thinking about death. Secondly, I just can't get my head around there being "nothing" after we die.

typical human being ... :p
    the problem with t he entire human race is we cling onto life too much.
  • Options
    I cant get my head around how or is there an end to the universe, let alone death.
  • Options
    u fall asleep and u never wake up.
  • Options
    well it depends how you die.

if you die in a fire then chances are you'll burn to death (or die because of the fumes).

if you die in your sleep then yeh, you fall asleep and don't wake up again.

eta: no i'm not particularly freaked out by death, it happens to the best of us. ;)
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote:

Death does seem awfully final. Still, it keeps up the numbers for religions.
  • Options
    well you wouldn't want to live forever, would you?

assuming you're lucky enough to die in old age when you're probably quite frail and don't have a great quality of life..well you wouldn't want to just live like that but getting worse would you.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    im exactly the same.

I often find myself thinking about death, and i cant get my head around it either.

Its the whole conciousness of life, and then when your dead everything will carry on but you wont know that as they'll be no conciousness :confused: and its just a whole load of nothingness, even though its not nothingness because other life still goes on...

so yeh, your not the only one i just thought you may be interested to know!

(im nearly 22 and have been thinking about this for as long as i can remember...)

I am the same! I used to cry about it a lot as a kid and got quite depressed because of it. I still think about it on a daily basis, more so when I am on my own and have more time to think. I always try and occupy myself. It is the 'nothingness' of it all that scares me and how it is final. This is why I worry that I am not making the most of my life. It could be over tomorrow!
  • Options
    theres several simplist views
    1) after life the old heaven and hell theory,
    2)reincarnation, i would love to be a squirrel for a few years
    3) you rot
    but from the third theory if you planted yourself under a sapling or tree your nutrients would be taken in by the tree then the insect and birds that live of it, will help feed other birds and mammals which goes on for ever. the law of conservation of energy means that you never really die.
    so in everything theres a positive.
  • Options
    but from the third theory if you planted yourself under a sapling or tree your nutrients would be taken in by the tree then the insect and birds that live of it, will help feed other birds and mammals which goes on for ever. the law of conservation of energy means that you never really die.
    so in everything theres a positive.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I want to happen to me when I die!

I'm really not worried about death, I don't try and understand or dissect things like that as it gives me a headache and I don't think we're not supposed to "get it". It's exactly the same as the meaning of life, if you figured it out the whole world would probably come crashing down around you or something like that... and you'd die anyway ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I'm really not worried about death,

exactly you have around 75 years on this planet you could sit there and worry about death, but the whole point of life is to make the most of it, some crazy complex miracles have occured to allow us to live how we do. (eg some how we developed to design computers otherwise this wouldn't be happening but) i can talk, listen and other people understand me (not all the time) but WOW thats amazing. the world is so complex and we are part of it and we have huge ability and possibilties is mind blowing!
    anyhow MAKE THE MOST OF IT
    live life to the full, whatever way that makes you the happiest,
    ENJOY
    GO!

ps I LOVE LIFE
    oh and CAPITALS
    :yum: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :yum:
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, at least I know it isn't just me.

I don't know what to believe with all the theories of afterlife etc - that isn't the problem, the problem is I think about death when really I just don't want to be thinking about it and enjoying life instead!
  • Options
    A preoccupation about death can indicate stress or depression ... be generally aware of how you are feeling mentally/emotionally and see your doctor if you have worries.