Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Packeted Potatoes

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
The 'imported snacks' thread had me thinking.
I used to have these packets of 'spuds in sauce' ( i think thats what they were called), and they were made by the same people who make 'Pasta in Sauce'.
I havent seen them for years, and i loved them, anyone know if they sell them ANYWHERE?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    never heard of them. But I am intrigued!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Fancy joining me on my international quest to find them? :p I am desperate, I have the thought of them in my head now, and i loved them so much, i just want some now!
    smash with tom ketchup?
    icey wrote:
    smash with tom ketchup?
    no babe, they were sorta slices of potatoes in different sauces. smash is no comparison :no:
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    no babe, they were sorta slices of potatoes in different sauces. smash is no comparison :no:

ah, I know what you mean now! You can still get them in M&S
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    ah, I know what you mean now! You can still get them in M&S
    oooh oooh! in normal M&S or just the food halls? not that it matters, i will go anywhere for them!
    M&S do potato gratin thingies which sound similar, but I got the impression you were talking about something distinctly less sophisticated since you compared them to Pasta 'n' Sauce (hey, I'm unsophisticated, too :p).

I initially thought you meant those little pots of mash similar to pot noodles etc. They are so wrong but so, so right :yum:

You could make your own, I reckon, piece of piss!
    briggi wrote:
    M&S do potato gratin thingies which sound similar, but I got the impression you were talking about something distinctly less sophisticated since you compared them to Pasta 'n' Sauce (hey, I'm unsophisticated, too :p).

I initially thought you meant those little pots of mash similar to pot noodles etc. They are so wrong but so, so right :yum:

You could make your own, I reckon, piece of piss!
    Got it in one my dear, as unsophisticated as they come (thats both me and the tatties!) i have made similar things myself over the years, and nothing has quite matched.
    Im thinking they were laced in cocaine, or something similar, they were beautiful!:heart:
    In m&s, are they dried, tinned, fresh or frozen? I want some! I fucking love m&s, not seen one of their adverts for ages :(
    I know what you mean i think, you added either milk or water and then chucked it in the oven?
    They were gorgeous. They do them in jars too.

Maybe i am thinking of something different.:chin:
    Tweety wrote:
    I know what you mean i think, you added either milk or water and then chucked it in the oven?

no that was exactly it. it was a imple as that, and soooo tasty!
    I don't know what they were called but they were nice.
    I have tried googling with no luck.
    Was it this?

k%2052.jpg

As for jars, Homepride used to do them.

k%2081.jpg

But the best ones were the Uncle Ben's ones you used to be able to get about ten years ago.

I don't think you can get any of them anymore.

ETA: Actually you can, on the net, for a price.
    batcholers rule, i want some of that potato bake stuff! i LOVE beanfeast
    Were they like scalloped potatos? I get some that come in a box. Extra cheesy scalloped potatos :yum:

I think you made me want some of the pasta things tonight though. Lipton Pasta Sides. Good stuff.
    Tweety wrote:

Yeah these are two things. There was the packet of dehydrted potatoes to which you added milk, butter and water. And there's also a jar of sauce you can buy to pour over sliced fresh potatoes. Both rather yummy, but i make my own and it's soooooo simple.

Peel and finely slice about a 1lb potatoes. Layer them on a well buttered heat proof dish, with a good sprinkling of salt, pepper and melted butter over each layer. Bung in the oven about 180c Gas 5 for 45 minutes - 1 hour. You can put grated cheese (gruyere is yummy) on top for about the last 20 minutes of cooking.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I fucking love m&s, not seen one of their adverts for ages :(

The new ones got a rather yummy looking Tiramisu in it :yum:
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Peel and finely slice about a 1lb potatoes. Layer them on a well buttered heat proof dish, with a good sprinkling of salt, pepper and melted butter over each layer. Bung in the oven about 180c Gas 5 for 45 minutes - 1 hour. You can put grated cheese (gruyere is yummy) on top for about the last 20 minutes of cooking.

:yum:

I do that! Reading that has made me reallly hungry though, damn you! :p
    Roffle. Nice aint they ?
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Yeah these are two things. There was the packet of dehydrted potatoes to which you added milk, butter and water. And there's also a jar of sauce you can buy to pour over sliced fresh potatoes. Both rather yummy, but i make my own and it's soooooo simple.

:yum:
    I'd seriously consider whipping some up right now... if I wasn't fully aware that I'd be dead to the world by the time they were done.

Have to make them tomorrow, and settle for oatcakes and cheese now instead. Also :yum:
    Or a big Rosti. I made a cheese and onion Rosti last week, sort of my own creation and it was gorgeous.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Or a big Rosti. I made a cheese and onion Rosti last week, sort of my own creation and it was gorgeous.
    oh when oh when are you coming to my house to cook me tea? please let it be soon! :yum:

And Miffy, they werent exactly the same as the top ones, but similar. have you any links where i can buy them from at all? pretty please :)
    RubberSkin wrote:
    how dya make ur rostis babe?
    1lb potatoes, peeled, grated and dried on a clean tea towel.
    Large onion grated.
    Mix together with salt and plenty of pepper.
    Put half into a large, non stick, buttered frying pan.
    Cover the centre of the potato in the pan with grated cheese. Cheddar, Gruyere are best. Or Mozarella if you like it really stringy. (don't put any cheese round the edge or when it melts it'll dribble out and burn)
    Cover with the remaining potato and press down firmly with a potato masher.
    Fry for about 10 minutes each side on a lowish heat.
    nice one, im fucking starving now.....fag break in a min so i may have to concole myself with a bit of crumpet instead ;0)
    I didn't know you were a lesbian :D
    I used to LIVE on beanfeast!