Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lentils

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok today i decided to add some lentils to my veg soup as they are meant to be good for you etc. I got some plain oriental lentils and i'm not sure if i either did too many or they are just rank.
Anyone got any idea? Did i just buy the crap ones?

Comments

• Options
    I've seen red, green and puy (is it puy or pui?) lentils. TBH they don't have much taste of their own but they're good for bulking something out and making it go a bit further. What exactly was wrong with the ones you bought ?
  • Options
    Oooo and yellow lentils :)
  • Options
    I just didn't like the taste they gave the soup. I normally love it without. Pehaps i just put too many in.
    Just wondered really if anyone knew if theres much difference.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I love lentils! And they taste fine on their own, though they're usually cooked with carrots and perhaps onion (only carrots for me though). You might also want to add some pepper.
  • Options
    Did you make the soup from scratch with the lentils in, or did you cook the lentils seperate then add them. If you cooked em seperate in water, they won't taste too good coz they'll just be full of water, where as if they went into a home made soup, from the start they'll be full of soup. Pearl barley is good in home made soups and stews.
  • Options
    I did them seperate yes, Chris said that was probably why too but i told him it wasn't lol ;).
    Hmm perhaps i will try again cooking them in it then.

ETA i hope he doesn't see this ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Making them separately is pointless, surely you could see that? The whole idea of a soup is that the water takes the taste of its contents while being cooked.
  • Options
    Making them separately is pointless, surely you could see that? The whole idea of a soup is that the water takes the taste of its contents while being cooked.

No, i never thought about it. Never had them before.:o

ETA i did add them in for the last 10 mins.
  • Options
    They taste great when you do them from scratch, just try again.

It's all about getting used to new flavours.
  • Options
    I made Abbie this lentily thing the other day and she loved it and it smelled yummmy.
  • Options
    James loved it, it was ust me that didn't lol