Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dropping an AS subject

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm so confused as to which of my AS subjects I should drop. I do English language, modern history, psychology and maths. I definatly want to continue with English because I'm taking up english lit AS level next year, and it's something I want to continue at university. I'm also pretty keen on psychology and do well in it. But then that leaves Maths and History. I'm thinking of dropping history, because altough maths is pretty irrelvant to an english course, it's still a great A level to have right? Did/does anyone else do maths and english A levels? ARGH :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    What grades did you get for each one? I think if you got below a C you can't carry on with which ever one you didn't a C in.
  • Options
    I got B's in both history and maths, so I know I can do them, even though maths was pretty tough at times. But is it fairly unusual to do both maths and english As's?
  • Options
    I didn't take them, but I know of a few people who took both of them.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    What grades did you get for each one? I think if you got below a C you can't carry on with which ever one you didn't a C in.
    My sister got a D and an E for two of her subjects, and was allowed to carry on both (she ended up dropping History, which was the E subject, but that's because she hated it).

I'd go with the one you enjoy more. Imo, History would be more useful to your degree, depending on what kind of thing you'd be doing, but I'd still go with the one you enjoy.
  • Options
    Like Franki said, I would do the one you enjoy most. History compliments English more though but as long as you do well in your English and want to continue to study it at Uni, then just continue with the one you enjoy more or think you will do better in. They are both good a-levels to have.
  • Options
    I didn't do history so I can't compare them but I just wanted to say that Maths is a realy important subject and is one of the most respected A-levels to have. When applying for a job an A-level in maths would show that besides being wonderful at English you are also highly numerate which is a skill many employers are after. Did you know that in 10 years after doing A-levels the average salary of those who took A-level maths is 10% higher than those who took other A-level subjects?

But obviously ability and enjoyment are also factors to consider.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I didn't do history so I can't compare them but I just wanted to say that Maths is a realy important subject and is one of the most respected A-levels to have. When applying for a job an A-level in maths would show that besides being wonderful at English you are also highly numerate which is a skill many employers are after. Did you know that in 10 years after doing A-levels the average salary of those who took A-level maths is 10% higher than those who took other A-level subjects?

But obviously ability and enjoyment are also factors to consider.

I didn't know that but anyway I did maths A-level but I dont think anyone did english with it then again there were only 6 other people in the class. They may have done english as a foreign language though if that helps...
  • Options
    thanks guys. I think I might keep the maths, because i like the fact that it gives me more diversity i suppose. And I enjoy it more than history. I suppose at the end of the day (sorry, annoying expression!) that as long as I do English the others can be almost anything.
  • Options
    Do you know what you're going to do after your A-Levels?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Do you know what you're going to do after your A-Levels?

Yea I'm planning on going to uni to do english. Not relevant to maths i know! But it's nice to have both i guess
  • Options
    You haven't said what your other subject is (or I'm being slow). Maths will give you a broader grounding and show you have a good base of skills rather than just being a namby pamby arts student, BUT I would suggest you did two subjects related to arts and maths, rather than maths and english and say physics.
  • Options
    clinically speaking, the least useful / attractive on a cv is probably psychology. maths will make employers love you. english is great, and you want to do that. history is a really good one too, as it shows deep thinking / research skills.

However, I think you should do what you enjoy doing and feel you can get a good grade in. I picked subjects based on what I thought I should do in order for my 'career' lol and did badly. Economics mainly :p. If I could have my time again I would have probably done French, or further maths. Everyone said economics was a useful a level to have.

My arse, did a C at A Level help with my uni application? Nope. And I think it's the numbers (or rather, the letters) that it comes down to.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote:
    I'm only at GCSE level at present but I'm taking English lang, maths, biology and chemistry AS levels and possibly dropping the english I suppose.

Just go with the subject you feel strongest at, We've been told that Maths and Science Alevels are one of the hardest thus probably look the best, yet history is more english linked (if you get me) and may give you a better starting point to continue on?? not sure that made any sense sorry lol

Maths is actually easy if you get it.

Thing is, some people get maths, and get A/B grades, and some people don't, and tend to get U/E/D grades. There is a massive polarisation, unseen in other subjects. You can either do it or you can't, it seems :(. Apparently, according to actual research into maths, people can do maths easily up to a point when their mind boggles. But I doubt anyone would struggle doing arithmetic, even complicated stuff, if you let them have enough time. Polynomial division however... well I remember it fondly, but then, I'm a freak!

Seriously, I don't care what people say, in my experience with Universities, they give you a grade offer and they pretty much decide on your grades whether they're going to let you in on less or not. All this extra curricular stuff hasn't come in handy for me at all academically, however - I must say that it has broadened my personal education. But yea, different a levels.. they all count the same except general studies and critical thinking which dont count for anything :p
  • Options
    Maths is actually easy if you get it.

Thing is, some people get maths, and get A/B grades, and some people don't, and tend to get U/E/D grades. There is a massive polarisation, unseen in other subjects. You can either do it or you can't, it seems :(. Apparently, according to actual research into maths, people can do maths easily up to a point when their mind boggles. But I doubt anyone would struggle doing arithmetic, even complicated stuff, if you let them have enough time. Polynomial division however... well I remember it fondly, but then, I'm a freak!

Seriously, I don't care what people say, in my experience with Universities, they give you a grade offer and they pretty much decide on your grades whether they're going to let you in on less or not. All this extra curricular stuff hasn't come in handy for me at all academically, however - I must say that it has broadened my personal education. But yea, different a levels.. they all count the same except general studies and critical thinking which dont count for anything :p

That is so true about maths! It's one of those subjects where you've either got it, or you're way out. Personally, I've nearly always got it, well until college where I've dropped a bit. I've still decided to continue with it though, in the hope I can pull a B! So I now do Maths, English Language and Psychology A levels. But I've also taken up English Literature at AS level to get a bit more English experience.

What you were saying about all that extra curricular stuff people do 'to boost there personal statement', is there really not much weight in that? Because people at our college are always saying how uni's look for ' a rounded person'. And I'm guessing they mean interests...not appearence :p
  • Options
    They do, well that was my experience at interview. Most people applying for your course will have your kind of grades. You need to show that you are the right person for that course. Something that shows you have the ability to self motivate, manage your time and a reason for wanting the course, be it writing as a hobby, work experience at a newspaper or whatever.
  • Options
    ahh i see. well I did do my work experience at a newspaper, so that's at least one thing I can put in. Cheers!:thumb:
  • Options
    What you were saying about all that extra curricular stuff people do 'to boost there personal statement', is there really not much weight in that? Because people at our college are always saying how uni's look for ' a rounded person'. And I'm guessing they mean interests...not appearence :p
    It depends where you apply. At the top end of the scale there are far too many applicants with extremely high grades so they need more to tell you apart. I found that many universities focussed the interviews on these things.
  • Options
    Make sure you write about your work experience in your personnal statement then!