Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ulcer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a really bad ulcer on the inside of my bottom lip (if that makes sense). it really hurts and its making me feel awful :impissed:
Got some stuff from boots yesterday (boots own brand mouth ulcer stuff), hurt like hell to put it on and hasnt made any difference to the ulcer :(
any ideas to get it to stop hurting or even better get it to go away?

Comments

• Options
    I always use Ambesol.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I always use bonjela, and i love the taste. also i love the way it makes the rest of my mouth numb hehe!
    if it stings just grin and bear it, the stinging will go after a few mins, and will make the area much less sensitive. the ulcer should go relatively soon with regular applications of either what you have, bonjela or ambesol as tweety suggested. if it does stick around though, id go down to drs, and see what they say. when i say stick around, i mean like about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice. was gonna get bonjela from the start then decided the cheaper own brand stuff must be just as ok - shouldve stuck with what i know i guess. might go get some after work, or try this ambesol stuff :)
  • Options
    Ambesol never fails to get rid of mine. Some buggers do take a day or two though depending how bad they are.
  • Options
    Gosh I haven;t one of these for years, I used to get 100s but then they stopped when I was little! Very painful! I think I only ever used bonjela.
  • Options
    Boots own brand stuff probably has the same active ingredient in it as bongela, or the other stuff so check anything else you get is actually different rather than the same thing in another packet.
  • Options
    Rinse your mouth with salt water.
  • Options
    I use some stuff called adcortyl. It's not the most pleasant of things (it 'dries' in your mouth - really chuffing weird) but it works wonders. I get loads of mouth ulcers and this stuff really makes a difference.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Rinse your mouth with salt water.

That's horrible, tried it once and i couldn't keep the water in long enough it was that bad.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    That's horrible, tried it once and i couldn't keep the water in long enough it was that bad.
    But it does work. :yes:

No pain no gain. ;)
  • Options
    TCP is magic
  • Options
    righty there with ya. i've had 1 for 6 days now and its grown to nearly a centimetre in size. so bloody painful i just drank my cup of tea with a straw :impissed: . anbesol is good but it wont heal it, it'll just numb the pain and stop any infection. theres a monthwash called corsodyl which is pretty good, it numbs and makes it heal twice as fast

kaffrin i just got some adcortyl today, its weird as fuck and makes me dribble! how long does it take to start healing after i start using it?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    kaffrin i just got some adcortyl today, its weird as fuck and makes me dribble! how long does it take to start healing after i start using it?

Ha ha - weird as fuck is right. It usually makes mine feel better by the next day. Wouldn't say they heal any faster, it just takes the inflammation right down so they are not as sore.

Although if you've had it 6 days and it isn't getting any better, I'd think about getting a doctor to check it out.
  • Options
    cool, as long as its not as sore thats fine with me. mine always last a week or more, i've been to the doctors and had tests done and everything but they don;t know why i get them and can't give me anything that i cant get at the pharmacy so looks like i'll have to grin and bear it. not that i can grin with an ulcer this big. the best i can probably manage is :mad:
  • Options
    where did you get that adcortyl? I am going to try and find some today if I can. mine has also got to about 1cm and i have had it a week too and although is not a sharp pain, its more like a constant slight pain which is just making me feel all headachy and miserable in general :s
  • Options
    i got mine from a chemist. mine is hurting a lot less after a day of using it