Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do the Welsh hate the English?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    annalise wrote:
    They come here , Americanise our towns with shopping centres, macdonalds etc , etc
    English people Americanise your towns do they?

Nothing to do with the Welsh local councillers granting big companies planning permission in their towns then? And nothing to do with the Welsh people actually liking these products enough to make it financially viable for them to exist in their towns? Or is it only tourists from England that eat McDonalds?
  • Options
    annalise wrote:
    hi, I know this is an old thread but i've got to have my say! The Welsh don't hate every english person on an individual basis. They hate the money minded, self centred attitude that a lot (to be honest they tend to be the ones with money!) english people bring to our country. They come here , Americanise our towns with shopping centres, macdonalds etc , etc ,or they come because they want to buy a holiday home or retire in a nice little Welsh village but at the same time have no respect for the locals who are living there. A great example is the landfill site due to come into use within the next week in my home town. It's waste from Merseyside ( no Welsh waste gets dumped into england by the way ! ). The locals are proper working class people who don't ask for a lot, because the council here doesn't care a damn about them anyway , but they have said NO to this for years, because they already have 2 landfill sites in their town ( and it is a small place) and they have just had enough. To be fair most people in merseyside probably know nothing about it but it is happening all over Wales, and land fill is just the tip of the ice berg! These are the type of things that peolple are getting so outraged about and that is even before you come to the question of language. Wales is one of the poorest countries in Europe, england is one of the richest, why is that !?certainly not because we lack our own natural resources but because they have been taken from us. We have a right to exist ! to continue our way of life, which is different to that of english people and that is ALL WE ASK FOR! It's not about hate, it's about right and wrong and i defy anyone who seriously wants to look into this issue to come to a different conclusion. It's not just about history either, as important as that is, it's about what is happening now, to me, my friends and family.Cymru am byth!

so thats a long winded way of saying, that actually welsh people do hate the english
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
  • Options
    annalise wrote:
    hi, I know this is an old thread but i've got to have my say! The Welsh don't hate every english person on an individual basis. They hate the money minded, self centred attitude that a lot (to be honest they tend to be the ones with money!) english people bring to our country. They come here , Americanise our towns with shopping centres, macdonalds etc , etc ,or they come because they want to buy a holiday home or retire in a nice little Welsh village but at the same time have no respect for the locals who are living there. A great example is the landfill site due to come into use within the next week in my home town. It's waste from Merseyside ( no Welsh waste gets dumped into england by the way ! ). The locals are proper working class people who don't ask for a lot, because the council here doesn't care a damn about them anyway , but they have said NO to this for years, because they already have 2 landfill sites in their town ( and it is a small place) and they have just had enough. To be fair most people in merseyside probably know nothing about it but it is happening all over Wales, and land fill is just the tip of the ice berg! These are the type of things that peolple are getting so outraged about and that is even before you come to the question of language. Wales is one of the poorest countries in Europe, england is one of the richest, why is that !?certainly not because we lack our own natural resources but because they have been taken from us. We have a right to exist ! to continue our way of life, which is different to that of english people and that is ALL WE ASK FOR! It's not about hate, it's about right and wrong and i defy anyone who seriously wants to look into this issue to come to a different conclusion. It's not just about history either, as important as that is, it's about what is happening now, to me, my friends and family.Cymru am byth!
    Annalise, I'm at a loss to understand why you think this is an English/Welsh problem. I could have typed out almost exactly the same scenario if I substituted Wales for my home - Cumbria. Should I start railing against the dirty Mancs who nick all our water by using the lakes as reservoirs?
  • Options
    Okey wrote:
    I'm Welsh, and I really can't stand the English. They're arrogant and plain annoying. Furthermore they are tyrants and cowards... and even have the nerve to drive around Wales with their shitty England flags on their cars. Cymru am Byth.
    You're judging a whole load of people without meeting them, well done to you......not!
  • Options
    Maybe you could have typed out a similar senario and maybe you should also take a stand against what is happening in your home. The difference about Wales is that we have a language and culture to lose and increasingly that is exactly what is happening and what has happened in the past. If a country invades another and attempts to wipe out the culture , the language and the way of life surely that is wrong, in another setting it would be refered to as ethnic cleansing! My original point was that we as Welsh people have a right to exist, to use our languge and carry on with our way of life. How can we do that when the Welsh speaking areas are being taken over by people who refuse to learn the language, buy up all the property and put local people out of business. We are increasingly ending up as the minority in our own towns so how can the original communities survive?
  • Options
    annalise wrote:
    Maybe you could have typed out a similar senario and maybe you should also take a stand against what is happening in your home. The difference about Wales is that we have a language and culture to lose and increasingly that is exactly what is happening and what has happened in the past. If a country invades another and attempts to wipe out the culture , the language and the way of life surely that is wrong, in another setting it would be refered to as ethnic cleansing! My original point was that we as Welsh people have a right to exist, to use our languge and carry on with our way of life. How can we do that when the Welsh speaking areas are being taken over by people who refuse to learn the language, buy up all the property and put local people out of business. We are increasingly ending up as the minority in our own towns so how can the original communities survive?
    Again, almost exactly the same scenario. You go to Cumbria and try and understand the local dialect :D

What kind of stand exactly should I take? Should I automatically hate anybody who was born south of Barrow (which would include all of Wales). Should I automatically hate anyone who is trying to join the local community as an outsider?

A couple from Llandudno moved into the farm half a mile away from my parents. They are renovating it as a holiday home. Nobody from our local community could afford to buy it because so many outsiders from elsewhere have driven up prices and turned the village into a ghost town. On the other hand, there are some lovely people who have moved in and their kids go to the local schools, they go to the local church, and they really want to integrate and be a part of the community. It's not their fault that they aren't as lucky as me by being born here.
  • Options
    English people Americanise your towns do they?

Nothing to do with the Welsh local councillers granting big companies planning permission in their towns then? And nothing to do with the Welsh people actually liking these products enough to make it financially viable for them to exist in their towns? Or is it only tourists from England that eat McDonalds?

Well , it's everything to do with 'Welsh' local councillers granting the planning permision! Actually most of the people who run my local council arn't even Welsh. Does anyone have a local council that isn't purely motivated by money or that actually takes on board the concerns of local people!? The problem is that all the council is interested in is money and expanding the town by bringing big money businesses here and every single one of them is english run .The supposed advantage to local people is that they bring jobs with them but the reality is that most the top jobs(managers etc ) are reserved for the english in the area or they bring in english managers from outside the area to do the jobs. Therefore the local people are left with the lowest paid work, stacking shelves, working behind counters etc. So, the inevitable happens with the infux of people with a financial advantage, house prices rice and local people can't afford to buy a home in their own town. To go back to your point about why the businesses are here in the first place i 'll give you an example of a small town near me. It is a pretty little Welsh village that has been overun with retirees and english business. Before long the local businesses couldn't compete and had to sell up. After a short time the locals were the minority in the town and a once welsh speaking area has hardly any welsh speakers left! Not only that but they are demanding local conviniences for the town such as a Tesco etc despite protests from the few locals who are left. The truth is that if you end up being a minority in your home town you have very little say in what happens to it. The result is that a sense of resentment forms and from my point of view understandably. It's the old saying 'money makes the world go round' but it certainly doesn't make it right!. If people want to understand what the problem is between Welsh and english, surely it makes sense to look at the reasons behind the problem.
  • Options
    annalise wrote:
    Well , it's everything to do with 'Welsh' local councillers granting the planning permision! Actually most of the people who run my local council arn't even Welsh. Does anyone have a local council that isn't purely motivated by money or that actually takes on board the concerns of local people!? The problem is that all the council is interested in is money and expanding the town by bringing big money businesses here and every single one of them is english run .The supposed advantage to local people is that they bring jobs with them but the reality is that most the top jobs(managers etc ) are reserved for the english in the area or they bring in english managers from outside the area to do the jobs. Therefore the local people are left with the lowest paid work, stacking shelves, working behind counters etc. So, the inevitable happens with the infux of people with a financial advantage, house prices rice and local people can't afford to buy a home in their own town. To go back to your point about why the businesses are here in the first place i 'll give you an example of a small town near me. It is a pretty little Welsh village that has been overun with retirees and english business. Before long the local businesses couldn't compete and had to sell up. After a short time the locals were the minority in the town and a once welsh speaking area has hardly any welsh speakers left! Not only that but they are demanding local conviniences for the town such as a Tesco etc despite protests from the few locals who are left. The truth is that if you end up being a minority in your home town you have very little say in what happens to it. The result is that a sense of resentment forms and from my point of view understandably. It's the old saying 'money makes the world go round' but it certainly doesn't make it right!. If people want to understand what the problem is between Welsh and english, surely it makes sense to look at the reasons behind the problem.

who voted the people onto the councils then?
  • Options
    Again, almost exactly the same scenario. You go to Cumbria and try and understand the local dialect :D

What kind of stand exactly should I take? Should I automatically hate anybody who was born south of Barrow (which would include all of Wales). Should I automatically hate anyone who is trying to join the local community as an outsider?

A couple from Llandudno moved into the farm half a mile away from my parents. They are renovating it as a holiday home. Nobody from our local community could afford to buy it because so many outsiders from elsewhere have driven up prices and turned the village into a ghost town. On the other hand, there are some lovely people who have moved in and their kids go to the local schools, they go to the local church, and they really want to integrate and be a part of the community. It's not their fault that they aren't as lucky as me by being born here.

Firstly this isn't about hate, it's about outlining a set of events that have occured. If someone wants to move into a community I think it is only reasonable that they consider the impact they will have on that area. If they do that and show respect to the local people and an appreciation of what is already there and also make themselves a part of that community then they will almost certainly be welcomed with open arms regardless of where they are from. In most parts of Wales that hasnt happened and the locals have merely been pushed aside. The difference is the language, I can't emphasise enough what a loss to everyone it would be to lose that. Losing local dialects is bad enough which also happens here , but to lose an entire language would be a travesty. Welsh learners are on the increase but it is school taught welsh not the local welsh passed down from family to family because the communities are disapearing. There are definately similar problems all over england but in places such as cornwal and the Yorkshire dales there are certain measures that have been taken to restrict the amout of people allowed to move into the area through building restricions. Nothing like that applies in Wales. As for taking a stand ,maybe similar legislation would work well in your home town
  • Options
    Who voted for the councilors in the first place? Well, the majority of councilors we have to choose from are english, so we choose the best we can out of what we've got. Also the majority in my town now are english incomers , so who do you think they vote for!
  • Options
    annalise wrote:
    How can we do that when the Welsh speaking areas are being taken over by people who refuse to learn the language, buy up all the property and put local people out of business.

WHO is selling "all the property" to the "invaders" ?
  • Options
    depends on the area. My dad lives near caerphilly and its nice there, cardiff is o.k but it is true alot of welsh people dont like the english. My sister and her partner are moving there and my dads told her partner to be careful about certain places. Some pubs you go in will kick off... :(
  • Options
    annalise wrote:
    The difference is the language, I can't emphasise enough what a loss to everyone it would be to lose that.
    Maybe rather than point your finger at the English, you should look at why the vast majority of young Welsh people don't consider it useful to speak Welsh. None of my Welsh friends, who've lived in Wales all their lives, speak Welsh to a level beyond my ability in French. Only 20% of the population in Wales speak Welsh as a first language, so it seems that the majority of Welsh people don't actually agree with you. And why would anyone moving to Wales learn the language if none of the locals actually speak it themselves? They would never get to use it, so why bother? Don't make out that it's English people's faults that the majority of young Welsh people don't want to speak their national language.
  • Options
    They might find this more useful especially if it`s job prospects that concern them ;) :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340870230/026-1206037-0134821?v=glance&n=266239&v=glance
  • Options
    Do the Welsh hate the English? Probably.

I'm not a big fan of the Welsh, so who cares.
  • Options
    Maybe rather than point your finger at the English, you should look at why the vast majority of young Welsh people don't consider it useful to speak Welsh. None of my Welsh friends, who've lived in Wales all their lives, speak Welsh to a level beyond my ability in French. Only 20% of the population in Wales speak Welsh as a first language, so it seems that the majority of Welsh people don't actually agree with you. And why would anyone moving to Wales learn the language if none of the locals actually speak it themselves? They would never get to use it, so why bother? Don't make out that it's English people's faults that the majority of young Welsh people don't want to speak their national language.

Well you have just made my point for me.Why is do you think that large percentages of Wales have lost their language? Do you think they just woke up one day and thought Oh I won't bother any more! We have had our language taken from us and yes I point the finger at the english because that is the the reason. Our communities have been broken up by english incomers who bring more english incomers with them ,who demand english medium schools, english speaking businesses etc and legislation to prevent this has not and is not in place. So, the majority of Welsh people who don't speak welsh actually had no choice in the first place. The decline in welsh speaking areas over the last century is unreal, what i'm trying to outline is the process by which this happened, you don't need to take my word for it by all means go and look it into it for yourself. You do have a very good point however, if Welsh cannot be used within communities and for business etc ( and i mean beyond the point of councils putting god knows how much to teach people to say the odd bore da!) then yes, the language will not grow, that is my point. I am learning welsh as an adult as my parents did not send me to a welsh speaking school, because there wasn't one in the area! My children on the other hand have access to the language and are bilingual. The problem is there is nowhere for them to use their welsh outside of the classroom. The reason, well we are going around in circles! I just think english people should look at the situation for what it is, be open minded to what is going on Wales without going on the defensive and saying , oh they just hate us because believe me I don't. It is political correctness gone mad if you cannot point out the facts without being labelled a racist.;)
  • Options
    The English actually paid Irish woman to grow their children up speaking English instead of Irish. It's a shame cos it's a lovely language.

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam!
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    WHO is selling "all the property" to the "invaders" ?

Hi, sorry i'm a bit late getting back to this! As I said before we have big problems with local councils who put big money before local need. I know there are similar problems else where . Mainly most of the new builds are obviously granted planning permission by local councils, one advantage Wales has is an abundant amount of land which is being sold off bit by bit. The number of new housing estates alone that have popped up around my area over the last few years is amazing. Most of them priced well above two hundred thousand each ,so out of reach for most of the local people who end up being pushed into the, shall we say less desirable areas such as council estates. Unfortunately our council hasn't built any new housing stock since the 1970's so there is a lot of frustration. It's just not balanced at all. As for businesses well, the population of the town is expanding so we have had five new massive shopping centres built over the last few years, every one english owned. The smaller local businesses just couldn't compete so the majority are gone. We are a minority in our own town now so have even less say in what happens. Just to point out that there are some english people here who strongly sympathise with what is going on. They have a completely different attitude to the big money people and have made themselves very much part of the community ( whats left of it!). Those people are the first to say that what is happening here is wrong because they have seen it all first hand.
  • Options
    In Wales they used to actually beat children in school if they caught them speaking Welsh. They have attempted many times to wipe out the language here. The modern day approach is very much more subtle but the impact is devastating. We have fought to hold on to our identity, culture and language for centuries, many people in the past have lost their lives for this same cause. We certainly won't give in this time. Cymru am byth!
  • Options
    annalise wrote:
    Hi, sorry i'm a bit late getting back to this! As I said before we have big problems with local councils who put big money before local need. I know there are similar problems else where . Mainly most of the new builds are obviously granted planning permission by local councils, one advantage Wales has is an abundant amount of land which is being sold off bit by bit. The number of new housing estates alone that have popped up around my area over the last few years is amazing. Most of them priced well above two hundred thousand each ,so out of reach for most of the local people who end up being pushed into the, shall we say less desirable areas such as council estates. Unfortunately our council hasn't built any new housing stock since the 1970's so there is a lot of frustration. It's just not balanced at all. As for businesses well, the population of the town is expanding so we have had five new massive shopping centres built over the last few years, every one english owned. The smaller local businesses just couldn't compete so the majority are gone. We are a minority in our own town now so have even less say in what happens. Just to point out that there are some english people here who strongly sympathise with what is going on. They have a completely different attitude to the big money people and have made themselves very much part of the community ( whats left of it!). Those people are the first to say that what is happening here is wrong because they have seen it all first hand.
    All you've described there is exactly what is happening in every town in the UK. Most new houses are built by large housing companies and are 3 or 4 bedroom semis. Then the houses that more well-off people leave to move into these are bought by people intent on renting them, rather than living in them. The only difference is that you can look at a line on a map, and see that the companies are from the other side of it, and say it must be the fault of the English. But at the end of the day, keeping property in the hands of local people goes out of the window when someone from outside is offering 5 grand extra. The fact is that when it comes down to it, people care more about themselves than the community, no matter how much they claim to.

You don't need to tell me about any of this, I'm from the Lake District. I know exactly what it's like to have every other house on a street being the second home of some rich Londoner. I know what it's like for locals not to be able to afford a house because they're all being bought up by people planning on renting them out. South Wales and South Cumbria are the two highest growth areas over the last few years in terms of house prices, so every issue you've got, I have as well. But like I said, I don't have that line on the map that lets me point a finger at 'them'.
  • Options
    annalise wrote:
    In Wales they used to actually beat children in school if they caught them speaking Welsh. They have attempted many times to wipe out the language here. The modern day approach is very much more subtle but the impact is devastating. We have fought to hold on to our identity, culture and language for centuries, many people in the past have lost their lives for this same cause. We certainly won't give in this time. Cymru am byth!
    Ever considered that globalisation may be behind much of this? There is no deliberate plot to wipe out the Welsh language. I doubt there's a society that meets up every two weeks plotting their next step to get rid of whole languages. Most of the problems in Wales are because the econony is so stagnant in much of the country, and because of an over-dependency of the public sector to create jobs.
  • Options
    I'm young, from North Wales and proudly speak Welsh fluently.

So the argument that Welsh isn't popular with young Welsh people is either a misinterpretation on your part - or a malicious fabrication. Please don't presume to know what the "vast majority" do and think.

Now, I like England. As a country and as a people. There are, of course, many prime examples of individuals who make me very angry. Matadore, for example.

You see, Matadore, regardless of Wales' current economic value - if it wasn't for the Coal Mines in the 18th and 19th Centuries, you'd still be knee-deep in your own pre-industrial revolution Mancunian shit. If you hadn't drowned two Welsh villages to provide yourself with water, no doubt you'd have had to learn the hard way, why sea water isn't an option.

And as for Wales not being friendly - well it all depends. It's true that Wales is the "Deep South" area of Britain, in that it's pretty insular and can eye 'incomers' with suspicion and even contempt.

What people tend to forget is that Wales and England are only geographical neighbors. Culturally and "personality-wise" they're on opposing sides of the Globe. People often bring a sense of being unwelcome on themselves.

It is a myth that the the Welsh will ignore you or automatically switch from English to Welsh if you enter a pub. You have to conider the fact that the patrons were probably speaking Welsh long before you arrived - and that they aren't doing it to offend you personally. I guess the differences can be slightly overwhelming, considering you've only traveled a few hunderd miles to get to another part of the UK that is completely foreign.

I'm friendly. I've spoken to numerous English tourists at my Local. You usually find them sitting alone or in small groups eyeing the Welsh speakers with what seems to be fear. The locals sense that and decide not to approach in case they are uwnanted. Well I introduce myself anyway. And we end up having a great night.

Being (arguably) the last surviving hereditary Celts in the World - the Welsh, certainly in the North and West, have very strong elements of both sides of being a Celt.

With most of you, I'd banter away friendly like, and do the whole dry wit routine. But just as easily, with the likes of Matadore - I would use a pint glass as a weapon - and as is traditional, no one would say a word.

You see, Matadore, you can talk big on your side of the keyboard - but if you really want to know how passionately the Welsh hate your xenophobic sort - come to my local and nyself and many others will gladly change your mind, and your physical gender, in one fell swoop.

The rest of you? Come up and I'll buy you a drink! And we can tease eachother about cultural differences and argue about each other's importance - but above all we'd keep it friendly!

Well that was a long post, and I think the lack of harsh consonants and excessive vowels is making me feel quite faint! :p
  • Options
    Afraid so. Im a Welshmen and it is much worse in more rural welsh areas. They hate us in Cardiff because we are too English for them apparently. We even have the welsh national anthem sung at us by opposition rugby fans.

This concerns me. I'm from a rural part of North Wales and I don't hate Cardiff. Though the way you say We even have the welsh national anthem sung at us by opposition rugby fans. - makes it seem like the Welsh Anthem does not apply to you? Well it does, and it should. Perhaps it's not Cardiff that the country folks dislike, per se - but individuals who live in Wales, and seem to hate it?
  • Options
    I hope y'all don't mind double, triple, quadruple et.c et.c posting! Because I'm reading and replying as I go along!
    I'll save my argument as to why Wales, Scotland and NI are part of England for another day.

In an official sense, that is untrue. Wales, Scotland, NI and England are part of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

In a simpler sense, yes - British politics, Media coverage and general concerns revolve around England.
    won't ...is cos we own 'em.
    conquered ...defeated nations always moan and groan for hundreds of years ...get over it!
    you pay your taxes to england and luckily for the welsh as it would have nothing ...absolutely nothing without the english.

I'm sure your like-minded fellow countrymen would appreciate your opinion! But it isn't quite accurate.

Scotland was never conquered. It joined with England in 1603. Northern Ireland was never conquered, it simply chose to stay with the UK when the rest of Ireland gained Independence. Wales wasn't conquered either, despite popular belief. In around 1282, Wales stopped warring with the English and as the Welsh Royal family died out, the English annexed Wales to England. In the early 15th Century Owain Glyndwr rebelled against this and it was as a result of this that Henry IV placed sanctions on Welsh citizens - that remained in place until the Acts of Union in 1537, when Wales was united with, not merged with England. Wales has never been an extenstion of England - but it has since medieval times, shared common political methods.

That Wales has retained her heritage, culture, language, traditions and Celtic bloodline serves as a testament to why England never really "conquered" Wales. That you are adamant England did conquer the Celtic Nations serves as a testament that you are still pissed off that you didn't quite manage it.

And think about this for a moment. Really consider it. If every English person was of the same mind as you (And thank God most are good, fair people) - do you think We Celts would stick by you another moment? No. And instead of thinking about Scotland or Wales' hypothetical "post-republican" state of affairs - think of England's. The Welsh and Scots would have to pay their own taxes for a relatively small economy. The English would have to pay taxes for a nation reduced in geography, but still increasing in population.

I think it is much more honest, fair and accurate to ask "What would become of each Constituent Nation of the UK - should the Union break up?" - instead of just focusing on the Celtic parts. We would all no doubt survive, but we would all equally, suffer a blow to our respective economies. England too.

And let that be advice for the near future. Because it would seem the ties that bind this Union are breaking away of late. I wonder if it will survive much longer?
  • Options
    Wales is a lot more like England in terms of institutions such as health, education and legal system.

I think you'll find that Education and Health in Wales are governed (Impeccably, so far) by the Welsh Assembly.

The Assembly does have power, but as of 2006, any laws passed must go through Westminster first. In 2007 his will change in a further devolutionary step.

More lifesaving, yet expensive, drugs are available on the Welsh NHS than the English NHS, for example. And there are no school "league tables" in Wales - a system widely derided by England for being prejudicial and too "red-taped".
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    THR0 wrote:
    More lifesaving, yet expensive, drugs are available on the Welsh NHS than the English NHS, for example.

Who pays for that?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    THR0 wrote:
    I'm young, from North Wales and proudly speak Welsh fluently.

So the argument that Welsh isn't popular with young Welsh people is either a misinterpretation on your part - or a malicious fabrication. Please don't presume to know what the "vast majority" do and think.
    I don't presume anything. I look at the figures, and the figures say that the vast majority of young Welsh people don't speak Welsh as their first language. Using the fact that you personally choose to speak Welsh as evidence that it is popular among the majority of the other 3 million Welsh people as well is ridiculous.
  • Options
    3 million people? That's the entire population of Wales. Most of those do not speak Welsh in casual situations (Which is what that 20%, and rising, statistic means)

And you are indeed making presumptions. Rash ones too. Ones that do your Nation's image no good.

Why would someone moving to Wales learn Welsh? Courtesy? To fit in? That is why many Welsh people will eye the English with contempt. They see you walk into the shop with your broad English accent and ask for something. They think "Uh oh, our community is going to get ripped to shreds".

You also asy that many of your Welsh friends can speak no more Welsh than you can speak French. Is that something to be proud of? Should you glorify your monolingualism? Hmm....

And "Who pays for that?" - I expect the money is pooled in from taxing all different parts of the UK.
  • Options
    THR0 wrote:
    And you are indeed making presumptions. Rash ones too. Ones that do your Nation's image no good.
    What presumptions are these? That the majority of people in Wales don't speak Welsh as a first language? That's not a presumption, it's a fact. You even stated it yourself. And what has what I say got to do with 'my nations image'?
    THR0 wrote:
    Why would someone moving to Wales learn Welsh? Courtesy? To fit in? That is why many Welsh people will eye the English with contempt. They see you walk into the shop with your broad English accent and ask for something. They think "Uh oh, our community is going to get ripped to shreds".
    But like I said, if the vast majority of people in the area of Wales you're moving to don't speak Welsh as a first language, then learning Welsh is as useful as moving to a French-speaking part of Switzerland and learning German. Yes it's an official language, but if it's not useful to you, then you're not going to learn it, are you?
    THR0 wrote:
    You also asy that many of your Welsh friends can speak no more Welsh than you can speak French. Is that something to be proud of? Should you glorify your monolingualism? Hmm....
    What's this got to do with anything? My point was in response to someone complaining that English people are moving to Wales and refusing to learn Welsh, and that is what is destroying the language. I was saying that it's easy to point the finger at English people moving to the country, whilst at the same time ignoring the fact that a large number of people born and bred in Wales either cannot speak the language very well, or simply choose not to.
This discussion has been closed.