Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How much would I need to earn?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tbh i'm not sure why the apartments on the quays are so expensive. its a peaceful location with an excellent view of old trafford but thats about it. the metro to town can be quite pricey and slow and there aren't any local amenities. you'd be much better off in town or a nice student area.. or even didsbury ooer.
    I should learn Manchester a bit better before I go to be honest. All I really know is the Arndale and Trafford Centres, Maine Road and Eastlands stadiums and that's about it.
    \
    Back in 2002, I rented a 3-bed terraced house for £364 per month, on a take-home pay of £850 per month. I was able to live comfortably - but from reading some of the comments in this thread, you'd think I'd have been absolutely broke all the time...

I could have claimed overtime for my extra hours and reduced/removed donations from my salary - but I never had the need to. Just where does everyones money go? :D
    sophia wrote:
    I live right in town, in a brand new and really swanky development, and a two bedroom flat is £700-£750. I don't get why Salford Quays would be more than that...?
    manchester apartments are usually really small. salford quays must be a sought-after area, i mean it does look quite pretty and its really peaceful. also the apartments might be much bigger because theres more development space. i think alot of them have free wireless internet and 24hr concierge service too.
    Just where does everyones money go? :D

Council tax, buildings insurance, contents insurance, car insurance, gas bills, electric bills, water bills, phone bills, mobile phone bills, TV licence, broadband, food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, furniture, appliances, petrol, car tax, car maintenance, house maintenance, pension, dentist, optician...
    doctors!
    scratchcards :D
    RubberSkin wrote:
    scratchcards :D

Got it in one :thumb:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    ... electricians, plumbers, birthday / christmas presents ...
    Pub.
    James
    rachie004 wrote:
    Thats more than what I know and I live there :p
    whereabouts do you live?
    £364 sounds good for a flat share. I'd have to pay about £550 a month for a single flat and £600 for a decent size one. Thats why I live at home. £200 rent a month and I can save about half my take home pay.
    Thats over half my mortage repayment on my 2 bed flat and I'm on a repayment mortgage too (paying off the capital as well as the interest). I live in a city on the south coast.
    I take home around 1570 a month and I still can't afford to move out mate it sucks :grump:
    I take home around 1570 a month and I still can't afford to move out mate it sucks :grump:

:eek2: where do you live, on the moon?
    hertfordshire.

or more specifically..you could look on her links. ;)
    hertfordshire.

or more specifically..you could look on her links. ;)

you are so stalking me :p;)

Yeah hertfordshire. I'm looking at around 600-700 rent a month where I live without any bills etc
    yeah just too lazy i guess, i wasn't that interested like it was more of a rhetorical question :P hertfordshire's no worse than london, and i was living in zone 4 on around £950/month take home pay so go figure.....

ETA: right i get you now, too posh to flatshare ay? :p
    ETA: right i get you now, too posh to flatshare ay? :p

haha, na I'm not, I'm so far from posh! :p I do actually wanna flat share as I wouldnt want to live on my own it's just getting the cash behind me to do it really. I pay 220 a month on travel to work so is quite a chunk of my wages really
    well all you really need is a months deposit and months rent in advance it's not too bad, and if you relocate closer to work then you wouldn't have all those travel costs.......so you're saying it's 600-700pcm for a flatshare?? you could live in the west end on those prices, what's so good about hertfordshire then? :p
    well all you really need is a months deposit and months rent in advance it's not too bad, and if you relocate closer to work then you wouldn't have all those travel costs.......so you're saying it's 600-700pcm for a flatshare?? you could live in the west end on those prices, what's so good about hertfordshire then? :p

I just really want to live close to my family and friends for the moment as I think it is the stability I need. I have concidered moving to london to save on travel but I think I would be very home sick to do that at the moment. I may think about it after I've lived on my own here for a little bit. We'll see I guess, it will be a while before I have anymoney saved up anyway. and yeah that 600 was for a flatshare, not a nice one at that
    Might be worth checking the local rag to see what the local prices are...
    :yes:

Or try looking on www.loot.com for similar rooms in that location to compare prices.
    aye fair play, i'm sure you'll find somewhere nice when you're ready, if you're looking in London gumtree's pretty good for finding a place and if you hunt around you shouldn't have to pay over the odds, i'm paying around £450/month with all bills included, which is pretty good for this part of town, shame i have to move soon :(
    aye fair play, i'm sure you'll find somewhere nice when you're ready, if you're looking in London gumtree's pretty good for finding a place and if you hunt around you shouldn't have to pay over the odds, i'm paying around £450/month with all bills included, which is pretty good for this part of town, shame i have to move soon :(

Yeah that don't sound bad, I'll keep it in mind for when I eventually move, thanks :)