Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First date ideas?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Met up with a girl off an internet dating site the other day. She is nice.

Not sure what she thinks of me.

But if she's interested then where can I take her?

Arranged to meet her in a bar for the first date. I bought the drinks and lunch.

Thinking I should be original and do something different instead of the pub.

Don't want to do bowling or cinema!!!

But bands, theatre (I'm nowhere near a regular, I don't think she is either), comedy (or is that a bit cliched?)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    have you asked her what she wants to do?

or what does she like doing?
  • Options
    I went on a kinda first date last week and we went to the gym. Nothing like having a bit of fun and loosing weight at the same time :thumb:
  • Options
    are you mad?!

i'd never go on a first date to the gym i end up getting all red in the face and sweaty!
  • Options
    are you mad?!

i'd never go on a first date to the gym i end up getting all red in the face and sweaty!

that will happen eitherwise if the date went good :thumb:
  • Options
    are you mad?!

haha i know what you mean but was actually quite funny. I was really hot and sweaty but apparently he liked it coz it was a sign of things to come, can't think what he meant tho...:chin: :p
  • Options
    ooooh so you're seeing him again? ;)
  • Options
    ooooh so you're seeing him again? ;)

Indeedy. Was out with him Saturday night and off to the gym again tomorrow :D I'm just ignoring the fact that he is my supervisor at work at the moment and is 30!
  • Options
    :o

does he have any stray children?
  • Options
    :o

does he have any stray children?

haha, not that he's admitting to at the moment! He's probably more imature than me though so it's all good for the moment
  • Options
    I'd love to be taken to the theatre or a concert, or an art exhibition for example. Call me a pedant or boring or whatever, but for me an ideal casual date would be to go see a cool photo exhibition, and then head off for coffee if it's a cold and rainy day, or to have some drinks on a little table beside a river if it's sunny. :D
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    I'd love to be taken to the theatre or a concert, or an art exhibition for example. Call me a pedant or boring or whatever, but for me an ideal casual date would be to go see a cool photo exhibition, and then head off for coffee if it's a cold and rainy day, or to have some drinks on a little table beside a river if it's sunny. :D

Doesn't sound boring to me, sounds perfect!

Otherwise... bingo? (I'm obsessed :D )
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    briggi wrote:
    Doesn't sound boring to me, sounds perfect!

Otherwise... bingo? (I'm obsessed :D )
    yes bingo!! i love it!
    i was taking on a date to the bingo hall a few years back...bloody expensive though.
    id give her a call and ask her what she fancies, if she says 'i dont mind, you choose' you have carte blanche to do whatever.

ETA:for my second date with my current fella, we went to Chester Zoo...quite cool even if i do say so myself! :p
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    for my second date with my current fella, we went to Chester Zoo...quite cool even if i do say so myself! :p

:thumb: if she likes that sort of thing (make sure she's not ethically against zoos or something :p ) then something like the zoo would be a great date. you have something to talk about with all that you are seeing there, but also loads of time to chat and get to know each other as you walk around. there is an end to it too, so that when u get to the end of the zoo it is easy to make an exit if the date is not good or to suggest going to grab lunch or a coffee if its going well :) and you get to show your 'caring' side as you see the cute little animals :p
  • Options
    Feed the ducks!! Thats always been a good one for me! :D
  • Options
    have you asked her what she wants to do?

Not the best idea in my opinion. Although in theory it shows he's a nice guy, he'll look too eager to please. It'd be better for him to think up something fun and original himself.

For a first date I usually head to a nearby city, and we spend the afternoon going in and out of shops, art galleries etc. Whatever we come across.
  • Options
    How about a nice walk in the park or somwhere like that and have a picnic?
  • Options
    Laserquest? :razz:
  • Options
    A few more ideas:

Day trip to the seaside.
    Indoor sledging in the middle of summer.

But the ultimate date for me has to be going to a themepark.
  • Options
    Is it just me or is living in Britain shit? Most of the good ideas rely on the weather being good. And just to point out that you've got to tell a girl if you're going to somewhere like the zoo. God forbid she wears inappropriate shoes. :nervous:
  • Options
    Is it just me or is living in Britain shit? Most of the good ideas rely on the weather being good. And just to point out that you've got to tell a girl if you're going to somewhere like the zoo. God forbid she wears inappropriate shoes. :nervous:

Agreed. And telling someone where you're taking them does spoil the fun a bit.
  • Options
    Mine and my boyfriend's first "date" was a day in a park by the seaside. We did a bit of kite flying (which meant he got to show off, always a good thing), lazed about eating ice cream, pissed about on the penny falls machine in the arcade for about six hours, went paddling in the sea and then for a few pints with our soaking trousers and no shoes on. It was heavenly, but I was already in the comfort zone with him as we knew each other previously, it might be a bit much for the first time you ever go out with someone.

Another thing we did during the early days was get a Daysaver ticket on the metro system (would work on buses or whatever, but maybe not quite as well) and got off at every stop for a pint and a wander. It doesn't have to be pubs if you don't like getting pissed, but it works for me! We ended up at some lovely - and some not so lovely - places and it was absolutely mad craic. When it got to the point where the Metros were going to stop we got off at the huuuge Tesco and bought pizza and beer and took it home. One of the best days we've spent together, without a doubt :heart:

Shopping is the worst first date, ever, I hate it at the best of times. Never again :impissed:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Agreed. And telling someone where you're taking them does spoil the fun a bit.

That's why you just tell them what kind of clothes to wear. E.g. bring sensible shoes. And don't tell them anything else.

Keeping secrets from girls is always fun. :D Plus it'll make them think more about the date, and therefore you, beforehand.
  • Options
    ice skating?
  • Options
    I went on a kinda first date last week and we went to the gym.

haha reminds me of a conversation between me and best mate a while ago about she went to gym with her boyfriend and i was really shocked lol!!! it was a hilarious conversation - i wud never do it because i really do sweat and go red when i run at gym! :lol:

to the poster - i would LOVE to be taken to the theatre! its different
  • Options
    On first dates I generally like to go to a few nice bars where you can chat, drink some cocktails etc. I've been to the cinema once on a first date and it was awful as the film was SHITE, and by the time we came out, all the bars in town were shut so we had to go home and the only chance we got to chat was in the car.
    Theatre is a good idea if she's into that sort of thing. Bowling and ice skating are also fun but I think best left to the 2nd date. Just hanging out during the day is fun, if the weather's nice, just chilling in the park and going for an afternoon drink is good.