Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What would you do?

12346»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hang on a minute. A minute ago it was the unemployment levels that were the issue, and now someone's proved that we actually have very low unemployment, you're suddenly going onto another issue? It seems you've come up with your opinion first, then have just gone out looking for evidence to support you POV. Stick with unemployment. So since despite the huge influx of immigrants, the UK still has the lowest unemployment levels in Europe, what's the problem again?
    We do NOT have very low unemployment. Unemployment isn't measured accurately in this country. Do you know how many people are on incapcity benefit? there are almost 3 million on that amongst other benefits, therefore the unemployment level is not only the highest we have had since 2000 but when you look deep into the figures, it's a lot more higher. Therefore it is an issue.
    That is my problem.
    luke88 wrote:
    We do NOT have very low unemployment. Unemployment isn't measured accurately in this country. Do you know how many people are on incapcity benefit? there are almost 3 million on that amongst other benefits, therefore the unemployment level is not only the highest we have had since 2000 but when you look deep into the figures, it's a lot more higher. Therefore it is an issue.
    That is my problem.
    And it's obviously measured much more accurately in every other country is it? Maybe Britain's government is the only one in the world that does this? Or should we just assume that almost every government is going to skew figures to make them look good, and therefore, Britain is still the lowest in Europe? And what's your problem with incapacity benefit? If someone's on incapacity benefit, they can't work, therefore an immigrant isn't going to steal their job is he? In fact, he'll actually pay some extra taxes towards that person's incapacity benefit.
    Does anyone actually have any evidence to back up this claim of the UK having the lowest/highest unemployment rate in Europe?
    And it's obviously measured much more accurately in every other country is it? Maybe Britain's government is the only one in the world that does this? Or should we just assume that almost every government is going to skew figures to make them look good, and therefore, Britain is still the lowest in Europe?
    Does the Uk really have the lowest unemployment in Europe?

Anyway, I believe, this is my opinion btw, that the unemployment level has been fiddled slightly. There has been a huge increase in the number clamining incapcity benefit since 1997, unemployment has decreased. I do think that many who were on the dole have now been moved onto incapacity.
    And what's your problem with incapacity benefit? If someone's on incapacity benefit, they can't work, therefore an immigrant isn't going to steal their job is he? In fact, he'll actually pay some extra taxes towards that person's incapacity benefit.
    My dad is on the benefit, a lot of my family are. I don't have a problem with the benefit it's self so stop assuming that I do!
    I do, however, have a problem with the benefit being abused, which I think it is.
    luke88 wrote:
    I do think that many who were on the dole have now been moved onto incapacity.

And how does that decrease the amount of unemployment?:confused:
    Sofie wrote:
    And how does that decrease the amount of unemployment?:confused:
    As they were previously on the dole but have moved onto incapacity. Which from my experience many have, especially my bone idol uncle!
    Which doesn't decrease the unemployment figure, yes it decreases the amount of people claiming but not the amount of people who are unemployed.
    Sofie wrote:
    Which doesn't decrease the unemployment figure, yes it decreases the amount of people claiming but not the amount of people who are unemployed.
    How is unemployment measured?
    luke88 wrote:
    Does the Uk really have the lowest unemployment in Europe?
    Actually no. It's a pain in the arse to find a simple fucking comparison table. It was a year or two ago, I remember. But it's about 5.5% now (I'm trying to find a source that actually presents it properly, rather than a bit of text in a big article about something else) which is higher than a few others. But the average is over 8% so it's still low.
    luke88 wrote:
    How is unemployment measured?

I thought you'd know that?
    luke88 wrote:
    Anyway, I believe, this is my opinion btw, that the unemployment level has been fiddled slightly.
    You know that in the USA, if you work 1 hour a week, you're considered employed? Even if you really want to work more than that. See, every government does it, so you would assume that even if the exact figures are wrong, the country to country comparison is pretty accurate.
    Actually no. It's a pain in the arse to find a simple fucking comparison table. It was a year or two ago, I remember. But it's about 5.5% now (I'm trying to find a source that actually presents it properly, rather than a bit of text in a big article about something else) which is higher than a few others. But the average is over 8% so it's still low.
    8%? That's quite high and worrying too.
    Sofie wrote:
    I thought you'd know that?
    I'd like you to tell me.
    luke88 wrote:
    8%? That's quite high and worrying too.
    The average for Europe, I mean. Seriously, check out unemployment rates in other European countries and you'll realise that we're actually not doing too bad.
    You know that in the USA, if you work 1 hour a week, you're considered employed? Even if you really want to work more than that. See, every government does it, so you would assume that even if the exact figures are wrong, the country to country comparison is pretty accurate.
    That makes it even more worrying then. Even more than 8% are either unemployed or not in a full time job, paying taxes. Plus add on the 3 million incapacity claimants.
    luke88 wrote:
    I'd like you to tell me.

It's measured by the amount of people claiming unemployment benifit. Unless you know some other way of measuring it?:confused:
    Just to clarify the 8% is for europe on average by nation. The UK is below this, and the 1 hour per week thing is only in the USA, not the UK.
    Jim - I'm With Stupid did mention that in his posts where he mentioned those figures..
    Oh boy. I go away for just over two days, and in that time, Luke manages to insult half the boards by dismissing them as unprincipled lefties, and just about all the board insults him by calling him a racist xenophobe. What a world!