Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

piercings...sexy or not?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
HELP! Right, my student loan comes through on the 11th Sept...WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I am currently surviving on 55p!!

Anyway, that was kinda irrelevant...when my loan comes through I think I want to get my nose pierced...I say think because I have a few reservations...

1) does it hurt? as in does it hurt a lot? as in compared to ear piercings...which imho didnt hurt at all...
2) do i have to get a bigger stud first of all, like you do when you have your ears pierced because I really only want a TINY little diamond stud
3) do people (and well I'm asking the guys here really) think its sexy?

I'm not some kind of hippy/goth/freak or whatever else is probably the stereotypical view of those with piercings, just someone who really likes little nose piercings...

Basically I'm being a bit shallow and wanting to know if I'm still gonna be able to pull at the weekends?!! any advice would be greatly appreciated

xx

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You will probably get better answers if you move the thread to the Style & Appearance section.

Nose piercings can be sexy, depends on the woman.
  • Options
    A nose piercing is unlikely to make a difference either way TBH.

If you do go ahead, make sure you go somewhere with a decent reputation and not just to a place which does ears...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think nose piercings look nice ("sexy" can be debated). I prefer them with rings, but it seems that's just me. :p
  • Options
    do you really think lads go around checking to see if a girl has her nose pierced on a weekend before he pulls her?
  • Options
    as lucifer devil said i dont think people are going to check if you have one or not. And also it varys from different boys if they like it or not.
  • Options
    I got mine done about 6 years ago...to be honest, people don't really notice it. I forget it's there most of the time. It hurt like a bitch having it done but the pain only lasts a few seconds. Don't let that put you off, it's worth it, it's just poking a needle through your nose is gonna hurt really isn't it. I think some piercers can numb it if you want, but it's not common.

I don't know if it's the same now, but the first one they put in was kind of big and stuck out a bit. It had a twisty titanium stem as opposed to the ones I use now which are regular earrings bent in the middle. I took the first one out after about 4 or 5 weeks I think and changed it to a smaller one. I did have a few problems with redness and stuff, it's kind of unavoidable when you knock it/sleep on it etc. It was only after a couple of years that it settled down. Everyone's healing times are different though.

As for pulling...I don't think it will really alter your chances!
  • Options
    imo they look disgusting. Nose studs are the 2nd most hideous piercings next to those little studs worn to the side of the upper lip.
  • Options
    I don't generally find nose piercings sexy, but I don't find them repulsive and wouldn't be put off someone because they had it done. Others will find it really sexy, different strokes and all that :)
  • Options
    And there was me thinking student loans were there to keep you fed and warm thoughout your student days... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    When I had mine done, my other half's first words were 'you look like a skaghead', so I'm guessing no, not sexy. On moi, anyway.

It never settled down in the end, either, so I retired it fairly quickly.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Not sexy on most girls IMO.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    On the pain side- it may hurt for a few seconds, but nothing major. I'm getting my nipple pierced soon- heard that nipple piercings are painful though.

I find piercings very attractive on women- on men not as much, but I personally find it reveals a sexy, darker side to a woman.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    On the pain side- it may hurt for a few seconds, but nothing major. I'm getting my nipple pierced soon- heard that nipple piercings are painful though.

I find piercings very attractive on women- on men not as much, but I personally find it reveals a sexy, darker side to a woman.

I'm the opposite, I much prefer most piercings on men. Though, I've had the intention of getting my nipple pierced twice and bottled both times; my fella has his done and I think it's utterly :yum: Though if he was boy-bandy looking I'd probably have laughed in his face, ah so fickle.
  • Options
    when i had my nipple pierced it barely hurt at all, but my friend (male) who had his done at the same time nearly cried like a girl.
    Apparently its easier with girls as its more fatty underneath.
  • Options
    I've had my nose pierced for 8 years. I can honestly say it's not had any effect whatsoever on my 'pulling' technique. Like someone said previously... hardly anyone notices I have a nose piercing, it's a part of me now.

When I first had it done it hurt like a bitch and I had no end of problems. It took about 2 years to heal fully, and yeh I had the ugliest stud in it for the first 2 years before I could change it for a smaller one. It's best to leave the initial jewellery in for 6 months at least - a lot of people seem to think it takes 2 weeks to heal a piercing and get a 'tiny stud' in it, but it's just not that simple. :no:

And tbh, if someone's going reject your feminine charms, purely because you have a stud in your nose, then you're obviously going for the wrong sort of guy :chin: :no:
  • Options
    Ooo... Thankyou SCC, I never knew that! I'm alright with pain tbh, am looking forward to it, as it's my 18th birthday present to myself!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    And tbh, if someone's going reject your feminine charms, purely because you have a stud in your nose, then you're obviously going for the wrong sort of guy :chin: :no:

People have preferences, some people find things attractive that others don't - that doesn't make them the 'wrong sort'.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Piercings are sexy if well done and well if yu have the physic that go wth it, if you are ugly to start with getting some piercing won't make it sexier... au contraire...

As for pain, if you don't want to feel any, then get some fake piercing, cos you just don't get the all idea behing piercing... it has become a fashion for sure, but it's a shame, it's not the ideology behind it...
  • Options
    OOOh thank you for all your replies!

Well if my nose is anything like my ears then it'll take at least 6 months to heal...hmmmm...might go and have a chat with my local piercer first and think it through a bit more, i guess thats the problem with having it done on your face, you can't hide it if it goes wrong!

I just kind of think that I may aswell go for it, this is my take on a rebellious student phase that is barely rebellious at all...the thing is if I get this done I can always take it out, unlike getting a tattoo...which is another topic completely!

Just one more thing, if I get it done with a needle will they be able to put a really small stud in it straight away or will I still have to have a larger one? Cos I'm really not keen on that idea!

Oh and also I've read that some people have had it done with a gun (like ear piercings) to me that doesnt sound like a particually good idea, just wonder if anyones had any experiences?!!

Thanks again! xx
  • Options
    I think if you get a little stud, maybe one of those diamondy-looking ones it looks quite nice.

DONT get a big fuck-off ring type thing or bull bar, if you're not a "goth" or whatever it'll look horrible.

Also if you have a big nose its not a good idea, but that goes without saying really ;)
  • Options
    I have said, that you shouldn't change your jewellery for at least 6 months, which means yes, you'll have to cope with a fuck-off-huge stud.

And don't get it done with a gun. I did and it was the most ridiculous thing ever. Always go for needle.
  • Options
    I saw this girl yesterday with a little jewl stud, it was so tiny, looked like it could have just been a random piece of glitter stuck to her. It was very cute. I wish I could have found jewlery like that when I had mine done!
  • Options
    Without starting a new thread because everyone's banging on about piercings... I really want my lip pierced. Not my actual lip, but just below and to one side, at the bottom. Who's got it done? Did it hurt? Has it ever bothered you getting a job?
  • Options
    Without starting a new thread because everyone's banging on about piercings... I really want my lip pierced. Not my actual lip, but just below and to one side, at the bottom. Who's got it done? Did it hurt? Has it ever bothered you getting a job?

ive had a labret piercing which is the same as what u want but in the middle, it didnt much hurt, bled quite a bit it was trickling down my chin, hah, i went straight for a burger i was that un-bothered. Mine didnt swell at all either. After 2 weeks i went back to have a shorter bar fitted. Mine healed really quickly, i looked after it well which probably helped, twice daily sea salt solution gargles and a clean. I also sucked on antiseptic lozenges for the first few days. You should also get a new toothbrush and start using it when you've got it pierced.

It hasnt bothered any employers because ive always taken it out for interviews.

I took it out for good about 6 months ago after keeping it for 5 years, as i just kinda left it out and forgot. I do miss it at times, but am left with a small scar that annoys me.
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    ive had a labret piercing which is the same as what u want but in the middle, it didnt much hurt, bled quite a bit it was trickling down my chin, hah, i went straight for a burger i was that un-bothered. Mine didnt swell at all either. After 2 weeks i went back to have a shorter bar fitted. Mine healed really quickly, i looked after it well which probably helped, twice daily sea salt solution gargles and a clean. I also sucked on antiseptic lozenges for the first few days. You should also get a new toothbrush and start using it when you've got it pierced.

It hasnt bothered any employers because ive always taken it out for interviews.

I took it out for good about 6 months ago after keeping it for 5 years, as i just kinda left it out and forgot. I do miss it at times, but am left with a small scar that annoys me.

Sounds good. Wouldn't have even thought about using a new toothbrush but it makes sense!! :thumb:

Taking it out for interviews is fine, but then when you get the job and turn up with astud in your face, it's a bit like lying to them about your appearance! I think anyway! Never really done anything even semi-drastic to my face or hair before...

I think I'm more worried about my Dad hitting the roof, haha. ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Lip piercings look pretty bad, IMHO...
  • Options
    And there was me thinking student loans were there to keep you fed and warm thoughout your student days... :rolleyes:
    haha it's only about £4 to get it done u miser
  • Options
    Sounds good. Wouldn't have even thought about using a new toothbrush but it makes sense!! :thumb:

Taking it out for interviews is fine, but then when you get the job and turn up with astud in your face, it's a bit like lying to them about your appearance! I think anyway! Never really done anything even semi-drastic to my face or hair before...

I think I'm more worried about my Dad hitting the roof, haha. ;)

when the piercing is well established you should be able to just take it out for work, but if not you can get tiny small clear retainers, they have a flat base like a labret stud, then a protruding bit which goes through the piercing and then a small ring thing that goes on the end to keep it on, if the protruding part is too long you can trim it so it doesnt stick out too much.

retainer.jpg
  • Options
    Those retainers are just as obvious as any jewellery in my experience, if you've had the piercing for a long time and it is fully healed....(im talkin a good year or 2 here) then chances are you can leave jewellery out for your shift. Ive had mine for almost 6 years now and i have often left it out for almost a week at a go with only the slightest of shrinking problems.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    haha it's only about £4 to get it done u miser
    Blimey that's cheap. Where dya go? A shed in someones back garden with a knitting needle!? :nervous: