We've updated the 'What can I talk about?' section of the group chat guidelines to mirror the boards guidelines. You can find them here :)
Want to tell us about your experiences using The Mix and be in with a chance of winning a £200 Amazon Voucher? Click here to go to our survey!

Power and corruption

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
I personally think, anyone with any form of power will at some point use that power to benefit themselves reguardless to weither its right or wrong legal or illegal.

If you dont agree, explain why!

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    I personally think, anyone with any form of power will at some point use that power to benefit themselves reguardless to weither its right or wrong legal or illegal.

    It's called human nature.
    Plus it's common sense.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    I personally think, anyone with any form of power will at some point use that power to benefit themselves reguardless to weither its right or wrong legal or illegal.

    If you dont agree, explain why!

    I don't fully agree with you. There are individuals who ignore their naturally selfish inclinations - just look at certain religious people who dedicate their entire lives to their cause. I believe there are people who believe that a cause is greater than their own personal satisfaction and/or benefit.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    This old chesnut again?

    Proven to be wrong in reality. Sorry. If everyone did, and if everyone had such an attitude, the world would probably fail to function.

    No. It doesn't stand up to the evidence.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A bigger question might be -

    If people use their power to benefit themselves, can they still use it to benefit others as well?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    migpilot wrote:
    It's called human nature.
    Plus it's common sense.
    :yes:
    and there is no such thing as an unselfish act... think about it...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote:
    :yes:
    and there is no such thing as an unselfish act... think about it...

    I don't know - that way Hobbes lies and Levithan is full of political reasoning that fails to accept any idea of alturism, heroism, charity or self-sacrifice; all of which do exsist.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    otter wrote:
    :yes:
    and there is no such thing as an unselfish act... think about it...

    Oh aye.

    So explain the Victoria Cross to me.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Warming up? Posts: 16,688
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Oh aye.

    So explain the Victoria Cross to me.
    If someone helps others because it makes themselves feel good, couldn't you say it's selfish? The final target might be to feel the satisfaction of having helped enough, which does sound selfish.
    Not sure I agree really, but that's the logic.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    If someone helps others because it makes themselves feel good, couldn't you say it's selfish? The final target might be to feel the satisfaction of having helped enough, which does sound selfish.
    Not sure I agree really, but that's the logic.

    You call it logic.:rolleyes:

    Experiments have proven that isn't how the brain works in that situation - ou don't conciously think, its almost an "automatic" thing (It isn't, but lets not get into neuroscience). Humanitys nature isn't selfish at heart - otherwise a soldier would say to himself "fuck my mates, they can die, im scramming!". The built in reality is concern for others and our squadmates. Deep down, thats what is inside is.

    The rest a result of the society you grow up in.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go corruption! Hurrah! More of it i say! I know i would be the most corrupt guy going if i had some power, i would make the former KGB turned Russian Mafia and the boys from Enron look like monks!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jim V wrote:
    I don't know - that way Hobbes lies and Levithan is full of political reasoning that fails to accept any idea of alturism, heroism, charity or self-sacrifice; all of which do exsist.

    I'm not sure Hobbesians would neccessarily argue that these don't exist. What it arguable is that without political structures in place which are legitimate and accepted by the population at large a significant number of people would act out of selfish desires and that society would exist in a state of anarchy where might means right.

    Under current society in the West we're protected the courage, herorism and self-sacrifice of a minority (oh it's Tommy this and Tommy that, and Tommy, go away), under Hobbesian theory there would be no minority protecting us and we'd have to group together in small societies, which are often under threat, fragmented and which can only exist through the heroism and self-sacrifice of the many.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The more power you have, the less you want anyone else to have. Being powerful is not how powerful you are in terms of what you can and cannot do, rather how powerful you are in comparison to everyone else. If everyone else has the same amount of power as you, you have none.

    It's simple.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't fully agree with you. There are individuals who ignore their naturally selfish inclinations - just look at certain religious people who dedicate their entire lives to their cause. I believe there are people who believe that a cause is greater than their own personal satisfaction and/or benefit.


    Naturally Selfish Inclinations?!?!

    Hahahaha!
Sign In or Register to comment.