Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

fake money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive been given either a fake or really old five pound note. whats the best way to get rid of it?

will a bank take it or am i gonna have to try and pass it over a counter?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to go to a bank if it's old or the police if it's fake.

Even the bank might not take it.
    Its probably just old. In that case the bank will take it but they will check it at the counter to see if it is fake. In return they will give you a brand new shiney note :love:

However, if you cant be arsed with that bother (and I usually cant) I just give it to particuarly thick looking shop assistants, the ones who are chatting to their colleagues at the same time as serving you are your best bet. I've done it before, but you probably shouldnt :angel:
    I'm pretty sure there is a time limit in which the banks will accept it.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    McDonalds usually take anything, even Euro's. Or Bus Drivers.
    What would I get at McD's in exchange for a bus driver?
    If it is a fake, and you take it to the bank, you'll lose it. They keep them no matter what. My mate works for LLoyds TSB and she had this 'dodgy' £20 note handed in, she lifted it up to see the water mark and the hologram fell off ! She turned it over (the hologram) and it was a Kit Kat chunky wrapper :D
    try & spend it in a nightclub or bar on a firday night, chances are they'll be really busy not notice
    if you have a meal with mates make a big pile of cash and leave it on the table, give it to the lady and leave :p
    First glance of this and i thought it said fake monkey :rolleyes:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    What would I get at McD's in exchange for a bus driver?
    A regular Chicken 'McNuggets' meal last time I went in.

The driver wasn't impressed like.
    Wait till the weekend and pass it over to a bar person at a busy bar or club, failing that, spend it in the shop where you got it :D. And I don't think the bank will give you the same amount back in legit money.
    well i wouldn't take it to the shop you got it from demanding they exchange it for you - you have no proof that you got it from there.

i work in a supermarket and i've had to refuse a few dodgy/no longer in tender notes since i started.
    If the note is old your bank will change it, but you will only get the face value. So if the £5 note is from 1940, when £5 was a lot of money, you will still only get a fiver. A bank that isn't your own will also charge you for the service, because they're all robbing bastards.

If its a fake you'll lose it at the bank. Either spend it somewhere where they won't notice (I wouldn't try passing off dodgy notes in any decent pub as you'll be ejected) or put it down to experience.
    Borrow a fiver from a mate, pay back with the fake. Simple :razz:
    The bank should take it if it's old, and just exchange it for a new one.
    If it's fake, I presume they'll just take it off you, and you'll be a fiver down?
    If it's really old could you sell it on eBay as an antique? :p
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I doubt the £5 will be fake, usually fake money is in £20's so it is more likely to be an old note. The bank will tell you if you take it in.
    rachie004 wrote:
    so a trip to tk maxx then :D:p

:crying: I've just applied for a job there! And am praying I get it :(

(saying that I am DESPRATE beyopnd belief.)
    i thought old notes the bank wont change cos there is a limit after they go out of circulation and you can't take them back after that. you should get rid of a £5 easy cos most people don't check them. i check all notes though ;)
    I came across a fake 20 once, handed it to my dealer for 8 e's. Can't complain there. :D