Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Firemen who refused to leaflet out gay march disciplined

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    olaola wrote:
    the reason these parades are deemed so "successful" is because they end with no arrests, that doesnt neccesserily mean good behaviour. The police are too scared to arrests anyone at a gay rights parade at the risks of being judged homophobic
    I can see that if you were a fireman you would have refused to attend the event.

You really need to get out more and meet some gay people.

Believe it or not, I once spent a whole evening talking to a group of them in the pub and I didn't have my privates groped once! I was offended actually...
    Aladdin wrote:
    Now I'm 100% behind the disciplinary action. One of the duties and jobs of firemen is attend such events and safeguard the safety of the public.
    And what does handing out leaflets about a gay march have to do with safeguarding the public? Absolutely nothing. Firemen are not employed to dish out leaflets for any kind of marches. The issue of homosexuality is irrelevant. I don't care whether the people marching were gay, straight, bisexual or members of the "We Love John Prescott Society" in Hull. The job of firemen is to save lives and put out fires.
    Actually an integral part of their job is fire prevention (think about it) and it has always part of their job and duties to participate in awareness campaigns in various shapes and forms, from open days at the fire station to school visits to indeed attending fairs, festivals and other gatherings to leaflet out and give advice.

If they agree to be firemen they agree they do this. And they cannot just pick up which events they want to go and which give a miss to.
    There is a slight difference between meeting homosexuals in a pub and witnessing a gay rights parade. Of course a parade about sexuality is going to be sexual its the dish of the day. People get drunk and carried away just like they do at nottinghill etc. Your blind if you still think the parade is only to make people aware of gay rights -were in the 21st century now they have every human right and do whatever they want. In simple terms, for many its just a piss up on the street and chance of speed dating
    Well, if the parade goes ahead successfully without any problems and then 'speed dating' becomes apparent after hours, what the fucks the problem? :confused:
    well its not exactly the sort of thing you'd want to explain to your children
    Now what on earth are you on about olaola?

Single gay people meet at a festival and have sex? What a disgrace! It's not like there were 70,000 people in a field near Leeds drinking and having sex last weekend.

I'm not entirely sure what your problem is. You're not scared of the nasty gay men are you? Didn't you realise that a gay man liking your buns does not make you a raging puff?

I don't think the officers should have been forced to go, and I think the reaction was OTT simply because the fire service didn't want to give ammo to Tatchell and his merry band of cunts. Leafleting is not their core duty, and as such they should be allowed to veto certain festivals if they disagree with them.

But they were given orders and they refused to follow them, therefore they should be disciplined. They shouldn't lose their jobs though.
    olaola wrote:

Erm... why not?
    olaola wrote:

What is their to explain? "Sometimes two people who love each other happen to be the same sex".

There is no need to get any further into the how's and why's of their private sexual behaviour.

Or do you plan telling your children about the delights of oral, anal, sadomasochistic etc sex that goes on between straight people when your children attend kindergarten - just because you're straight and that makes telling them ok? :confused:
    olaola wrote:
    There is a slight difference between meeting homosexuals in a pub and witnessing a gay rights parade. Of course a parade about sexuality is going to be sexual its the dish of the day. People get drunk and carried away just like they do at nottinghill etc.
    Oh dear dear dear...
    Your blind if you still think the parade is only to make people aware of gay rights -were in the 21st century now they have every human right and do whatever they want. In simple terms, for many its just a piss up on the street and chance of speed dating
    Have you ever been to any? :rolleyes:
    olaola wrote:
    Regardless of the silliness of that comment, firemen are adults are they not?
    It was absolutely unnecessary that there has been action taken. Firemen have a job to do which to safe guard the public and prevention from this is included. However, why were the firemen at the gay parade anyway?
    Secondly, why weren’t the views of the firemen taken into account? The political correct culture is really making me so angry.
    luke88 wrote:
    The political correct culture is really making me so angry.
    What's this got to do with political correctness? I thought it was about people refusing to do the job they're paid to do. And part of that is to attend large events to give people information, just like the army do. I couldn't care less whether it was a gay march or a BNP march to be honest. If you get paid to do a job and you don't do it, you get disciplined.
    luke88 wrote:
    The political correct culture is really making me so angry.

What on earth does this case have to do with PC?

This was about uniformed services not obeying orders.

The orders were crap IMHO, but they still have to follow them.
    Poor olaola.

Presumably his children are regaled by tales of how he and his missus porked each other all night long, and I bet the kids know exactly which position they were conceived in.

No? Why ever not? After all, its only the benders sex lives that are too bad to tell to the kiddies :o