Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Call for fertility ban for obese

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do you honestly think there is a right to bear a child? i don't personally
    nowerdays there is a right for everything...
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I don't agree with you. So if people can't see they shouldn't get help with blind things?

Does not having a kid stop you from getting about or having a job?

I wouldnt go so far as to suggest that IVF should be totally stopped on the NHS, but having kids isnt a right. Like with all things we have to ration treatment.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    thats not fair....seeing as you're not classed as underweight till you're below 18.5. And its not till you get to about 16 i think till you're periods stop. Which obviously means you're unhealthily thin.

Indeed. And BMI doesn't take build into account either.
  • Options
    health /= fertility

where did i say poor people cant have kids?

do you honestly think there is a right to bear a child? i don't personally

A right no, but a fair chance yes.
    As for the poor people bit, if no ivf was paid for then poor people wouldn't be able to afford it therefore some poor people can't have kids.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Does not having a kid stop you from getting about or having a job?

I wouldnt go so far as to suggest that IVF should be totally stopped on the NHS, but having kids isnt a right. Like with all things we have to ration treatment.

He's not on about rationing, which i agree with, but stopping it all together which i think would ne unfair.
    Of course it doesn't stop you getting a job, but as someone who doesn't have alot of money and we both work. We wouldn't be able to afford IVF if we needed it.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Like with all things we have to ration treatment.
    And that's what they are doing here. They are rationing it out in a far better way than by using your postcode. The whole idea makes more sense, until it happens to yourself, of course.
  • Options
    perhaps its okay.

apart from the rationing of the service. anything that will discourage people from becoming obese will help.

if you cant see your toes and not a sumo wrestler, you need to cut down on the pork pies.
  • Options
    Iron Nic wrote:
    if you cant see your toes and not a sumo wrestler, you need to cut down on the pork pies.

Problem is that BMI is a very poor measurement of that.
  • Options
    I think that anyone wanting a child badly enough to consider IVF should have done the research and shouldn’t be applying for it if they’re “very obese” or even just regular obese. If you’re not willing to cut out the cream-cakes in order to naturally increase your chances of having children, then public money shouldn’t be spent on you.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    wtf? how?

just because they want to be parents really bad doesn't make them obsessed with wanting a baby just because 'everyone else has'
    If they want a kid that badly, why not adopt? The fact that they only want a kid if it is genetically theirs indicates to me that they see it more as a possession than anything ('Look! Look what I have created!').
  • Options
    If they want a kid that badly, why not adopt? The fact that they only want a kid if it is genetically theirs indicates to me that they see it more as a possession than anything ('Look! Look what I have created!').

There is a natural bond between parent and child which cannot be made my adopting no matter how much you love them. Whats so wrong in wanting a child of your own?
  • Options
    going to the ends of the earth to create more life where there's already lives that would greatly appreciate some love and care says it all
  • Options
    going to the ends of the earth to create more life where there's already lives that would greatly appreciate some love and care says it all
    the worlds always going to be like that. There's nothing wrong with wanting your own kids.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    the worlds always going to be like that. There's nothing wrong with wanting your own kids.

theres no right to have them though......

people need better guidance on when they or heir partner start becoming infertile, not have more ivf treatment - this is the cause of the main surge, people delaying having kids

imo being a parent is a duty more worthy than any career, other than possibly foster parenting or adopting or being a doctor/nurse, way more than any financial career definetly - it is a pity more people value their careers over a potential family, and all the heartbreak that IVF treatment brings
  • Options
    theres no right to have them though......

people need better guidance on when they or heir partner start becoming infertile, not have more ivf treatment - this is the cause of the main surge, people delaying having kids

imo being a parent is a duty more worthy than any career, other than possibly foster parenting or adopting or being a doctor/nurse, way more than any financial career definetly - it is a pity more people value their careers over a potential family, and all the heartbreak that IVF treatment brings
    i never said people have the right....but who are we to say that because they're infertile then thats tough luck?
    you seem to think that people wanting kids who are infertile is weird. People aren't stupid, they know being a parent is a duty. Whats so wrong about wanting kids if you're infertile?

My cousin recently got married and his wife is infertile and they don't know why. They've just had IVF and now she's pregnant. I'm delighted for them. I doubt you've had experience with IVF?

If your partner was infertile and you wanted to be parents....would you really just shrug it off?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i never said people have the right....but who are we to say that because they're infertile then thats tough luck?
    you seem to think that people wanting kids who are infertile is weird. People aren't stupid, they know being a parent is a duty. Whats so wrong about wanting kids if you're infertile?

nothing wrong with wanting to be a parent, but its not a problem that requires subsidy and shouldnt be available on the NHS, they can have a kid from IVF if they really want, but if they really want they can pay for the treatment
    My cousin recently got married and his wife is infertile and they don't know why. They've just had IVF and now she's pregnant. I'm delighted for them. I doubt you've had experience with IVF?

i've read a lot about IVF and how it works, and the success rates per cycle are low to say the least it seems where 3-5 cycles of which cost approx £3000 - and strangely being only 21 and im male i have had little personal experience of IVF, not that it matters
    If your partner was infertile and you wanted to be parents....would you really just shrug it off?
    no but i would realise that it is not a right as per given, and me and my partner would have to fund it - then again i would consider saving that money from the doctors and getting a kid from an orphanage in a war torn country of which there are many, many of whom need care and support :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3516941.stm
    About 50% of woman become pregnant if they have three cycles of treatment.
  • Options
    i see what you mean, but still - its important for alot of people for it to be their own flesh and blood....for the woman to carry/give birth herself.
    As mean as it sounds, adopting/fostering can't really compare to having your own child.
    But what if people can't afford private treatment? They should at least be given a chance first.

Just for the note...my cousins wife got pregnant first time.
  • Options
    they can have a kid from IVF if they really want, but if they really want they can pay for the treatment

Agreed.

Not too sure that I agree with the NHS giving a cycle of IVF for free. Why should they, when it can be spent on improving the health service?
  • Options
    No, I don't think everyone has the "right" to become a parent. Some people are completely unfit to be parents in the first place. If everyone stopped worrying so much about bringing yet more kids into the world, and started worrying more about the millions of children around the world who have no parents, that might be a first step.

As for this proposed ban, I'm all in favour of it. And before anyone tries to demonise me as being "nasty" or applies some other nonsensical charge, let me explain. I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility. If you're really that desperate for a baby, the least you can do is lose a couple of pounds.
  • Options
    What Stargalaxy said.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i see what you mean, but still - its important for alot of people for it to be their own flesh and blood....for the woman to carry/give birth herself.
    As mean as it sounds, adopting/fostering can't really compare to having your own child.
    But what if people can't afford private treatment? They should at least be given a chance first.

Just for the note...my cousins wife got pregnant first time.

well shes in the lucky 25%
  • Options
    i agree...if people really are that passionate about becoming parents, then they should lose the weight. Plus its just not healthy in general if by the small chance it DID work.

Can being too overweight affect your fertility the same way as being too underweight does?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

Can being too overweight affect your fertility the same way as being too underweight does?

Probably. But I guess they're thinking more about the woman's health than whether she'll get pregnant.
  • Options
    well shes in the lucky 25%
    and as it was done in america i imagine they paid for it...not sure how it works in america though.
    I just think it's unfair that people who are infertile have to pay to try/become pregnant. However i do agree that the times its done on the NHS should be limited.

My point was just that for women who are healthy and are just unfortunate to be infertile...then why shouldn't they be given the chance?
  • Options
    But why should the public have to pay for someone to be a parent?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    If the government (and let's not forget they are the ones who have to fund this via the NHS) spent as much making sure that adopted children were given a safe upbringing, I'd be fine with it.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    we have to pay for alot of things we don't like though. And we will always have to unfortunatly. I can think of worse things tbh.
  • Options

I do agree that some people are waiting too late but this is not the only reason people need ivf, infact its probably a small one. Some people just need a little help.
  • Options
    I know that, but I don't see why we should have to pay for someone to have a child when the money could be used on improving the NHS.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I know that, but I don't see why we should have to pay for someone to have a child when the money could be used on improving the NHS.
    tbh, i don't think we really know where the money even goes anymore

i just don't see why people should be denyed the chance if its available.